Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock bending

Options
  • 05-06-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone any experience with stock bending . Heard of Walter black law in Wexford .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

might be better to get a stock made to suite you as bent stocks can go back to the original shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Spent wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with stock bending . Heard of Walter black law in Wexford .

Go to Dom Byrne in Kiltealy. Doms Custom Guns, One of the best in the country

jb88 wrote: »
    Go to Dom Byrne in Kiltealy. Doms Custom Guns, One of the best in the country

If its a new stock you need made and its wood . Pat Sludds his work is amazing and reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zenner

It's a very time consuming job and needs someone who really knows what their doing. A lot of heat involved and experience a must especially if an expensive walnut stock. Would do much research before decision to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Neither Pat Sludds nor Dominic Byrne bend stocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Zenner wrote: »
    It's a very time consuming job and needs someone who really knows what their doing. A lot of heat involved and experience a must especially if an expensive walnut stock. Would do much research before decision to get done.

I would have to disagree its not time consuming at all it takes about an hour or two to bring the stock up to temp simply throw it in the machine and let the oil do its work, once its up to temp which is only like 70c bend it which takes about 30 seconds and let it set over night. Sometimes it will go back but that is simply sticking it back in the machine for an hour and bending a little more so when it flexes back its where you want it.

Well maybe the jobs that you seen been done but the ones I did took time and care. Probably the difference between good work and bad. With no machines used either. Just masters doing what they do best.

lefthooker wrote: »
    Neither Pat Sludds nor Dominic Byrne bend stocks

apologies, I misread the title, I thought it was "Bedding stocks".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Zenner wrote: »
    Well maybe the jobs that you seen been done but the ones I did took time and care. Probably the difference between good work and bad. With no machines used either. Just masters doing what they do best.

Fine im not going to get into a pissing match, i was talking from experience as i do it several times a week.
    The use of the jig, machine or whatever you want to call it is in no way going to take away from the quality of the work or the care taken in measuring the customer and stock etc.. it is more accurate and used by every other gunsmith i know in some shape or form, many of whom are qualified/certified masters.

Well so did I for 15 years. No worries on what way you were thought. Maybe the modern method. I'm was strictly old school with care and time given.

• Advertisement
Advertisement