Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 7 "The Broken Man" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

That opening scene made the series for me.

will clegane join up with the high sparrow now and fight as Gregors opponent?
    I hope not, The High Sparrow is a dick. I hope the Cleganes fight each other just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

mikefoxo wrote: »
    I don't really see why he would. He was living a peaceful life, not a devout one. There's no connection to the High Sparrow or his religion. The BWB weren't sent by Cersei. Plus he would have to travel a great distance in a short time to reach KL for the trial

I think the people he was living with were of the same religion as those in King's Landing. But I agree that it's difficult to see how he would end up in King's Landing now to make himself available for the trial by combat or why he would even want to do such a thing. If he's going after anyone, it'll be the Brotherhood Without Banners, since it seems they were the ones who killed the village people. In any case, is it not more likely that the Faith will pick someone like Loras or Lancel to be their fighter in the trial by combat? At least those two have been involved in this story line for a while now and it would make more sense for it to be one of them rather than the Hound just dropping in at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I think the Hound would just see the sparrow for what he is...

A C-unt.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,296 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What was the significance of the rose on the piece of paper Margaery gave to Olenna?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Zaph wrote: »
    What was the significance of the rose on the piece of paper Margaery gave to Olenna?

I believe its the family crest.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,224 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zaph wrote: »

It's their family's sigil, so I assumed it was her way of telling the grandmother she's still on their side and just playing along with being pious for now.

The rose is the Tyrell sigil, isn't it? I think it was just a way of communicating to Olenna that she is still a Tyrell through and through and that she hasn't really been converted.

Cheers guys, I can never remember most of the family sigils so it didn't occur to me that it was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

How in the hell is Ayra still alive? Half a dozen stab wounds and the waif twisted the blade for maximum damage. The blood was streaming out of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭DeadHand

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Great to see Al Swearengen but a shame he died off so soon - he's perfect for GOT and would have made a great partner in crime for the Hound.

It's testament to McShane's ability that his septon was so different to Swearengen: chirpy, jolly, amiable, words you couldn't use to describe Al- yet he's equally believable in both roles. Wish we could have seen more of him!

• Advertisement

The little Mormont lady fairly cut Sansa and Jon down to size.

"As I understand, you're a Snow, not a Stark. And Lady Sansa is a Bolton, or is it a Lannister? I've heard conflicting reports."

Also, interesting that she took their word about the white walkers seriously. Is she the first head of house south of the wall to believe that they're real?

Giggernaut wrote: »
    How in the hell is Ayra still alive? Half a dozen stab wounds and the waif twisted the blade for maximum damage. The blood was streaming out of her!

She was wearing plot armour.

PressRun wrote: »
    Also, interesting that she took their word about the white walkers seriously. Is she the first head of house south of the wall to believe that they're real?

Stannis was head of House Baratheon and certainly believed they were real.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Stannis was head of House Baratheon and certainly believed they were real.

Of course, but he's now dead. I don't think any of the Iron Islander, Freys, Boltons or indeed anyone in the north bar the Starks knows about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭klose

Of course, but he's now dead. I don't think any of the Iron Islander, Freys, Boltons or indeed anyone in the north bar the Starks knows about them.

Which is pretty much the main plot, everyone else is squabbling over pieces of land but are all blissfully unaware of the unstoppable army of the dead marching south.

klose wrote: »
    Which is pretty much the main plot, everyone else is squabbling over pieces of land but are all blissfully unaware of the unstoppable army of the dead marching south.

Yes indeed. My thought was simply whether the young Mormont girl is the first head of house (bar Stannis) to actually believe that they're coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Squeled when I saw the hound :) was a brilliant episode.

I hope Arya will be ok and get her revenge and that Theon will get over his trauma but I thought it was very well played out. Maragaery seems to be up to something which I'm glad about because I'd hate for the Sparrow will win.

Loved the Blackfish and Jaime (especially the backhand and Bronn). Looks like the brotherhood has turned which while awful (is there allowed to be one happy village) at least we have Sandor back and ready to bash.

Hope that letter wasn't to Littlefinger and Sansa isn't stupid enough to trust him, especially as hes started to poison her relationship with Jon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes indeed. My thought was simply whether the young Mormont girl is the first head of house (bar Stannis) to actually believe that they're coming.

Maybe she's young enough not to be tired of old stories of the guise of a big bad bogey man.

nicki11 wrote: »
    Hope that letter wasn't to Littlefinger and Sansa isn't stupid enough to trust him, especially as hes started to poison her relationship with Jon

It definitely is for Littlefinger and he won't help them without expecting something in return. He wants the north for himself, imo, and will try and drive a wedge between Sansa and Jon in order to push Jon out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thn little girl absolutely killed that role, fantastic acting for such a young girl. The blackfish was badass as **** too, two awesome new characters although they are probably only in for a few episodes.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Thn little girl absolutely killed that role, fantastic acting for such a young girl. The blackfish was badass as **** too, two awesome new characters although they are probably only in for a few episodes.

The Blackfish's "disappointing" line at Jamie was excellent. It's the second time that Jamie has been put in his place by a character who is completely unintimidated by him. It's easy for Jamie to be high and mighty around incompetent fools like the Freys, but when he comes up against smarter people like the Blackfish or the High Sparrow, they can call his bluff and his routine falls short. Even Bronn was sick listening to his "Lannisters pay their debts" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Giggernaut wrote: »
    If everything happened as it appears, then she should totally be dead, or at least very near it, with no medical technology short of magic that could save her. If the blood loss didn't get her, the slow painful infection would (similar to King Robert). And having a Red Priest pop up out of nowhere is really the last thing we need.

And if she dies, which I doubt will happen, then her whole Bravos storyline will be a dead end that doesn't connect with the rest of the story at all. It doesn't make narrative sense. I don't think she'll actually die, and I'd be very disappointed if she just miraculously survives that wound with no real explanation, or a poor explanation.

There are a lot of hints though, that things may not have been exactly as they appeared. Arya was acting very strangely leading up to that. It would be really poor writing if it were unintentional. There are three main ideas that I've heard on what might be going on, which differ by the number of Aryas in that scene.

The simplest is that there was one Arya in that scene, who anticipated that they'd come after her, was much more prepared for it than she appeared, and faked her death, perhaps using practical effects from the theater troup, and from there there are a few possibilities of what she could be planning.

The next simplest is that there were zero Aryas in that scene. One of them was Jaqen or another Faceless Man, testing the Waif somehow (she seems to be holding a personal grudge, and disobeyed a clear order on how Arya's death should occur), or for whatever unknown reason helping her to escape by faking her death.

The really weird one, which didn't occur to me, is that there were two Aryas in that scene. The Fight Club scenario. Faceless trainee "No One" is metaphorically trying to kill off the old Arya Stark, and this is a normal stage of the Faceless Men process. It would put an interesting spin on those scenes where the Waif was beating up blind Arya in public and everyone ignored it, if it was a crazy girl beating herself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Question: How is the Lady Mormont related to Ser Friendzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

flazio wrote: »
    Question: How is the Lady Mormont related to Ser Friendzone?

They are cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Best episode in a while, but mainly because of the presence/return of some of the more enjoyable characters. Some of the dialogue was good in parts too, but overall it still felt as if the pacing is all wrong - the building of the bigger picture is happening in fits and starts, whereas other elements seem rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

One of the reasons why this episode was superior to the previous 'chess piece' episodes was we got to see some military maneuvers.

When people think of Westeros, it is hard to fathom the disparity in wealth and population.

Bear Island sends 62 to join Jon's 2,000+ to face the Bolton's 5,000+ to fight for the future of the entire North.
    Meanwhile Jamie leads 8,000.... a small fraction of the Lannister army to retake Riverrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Arya walking with her hands behind her back reminded me of Varys telling Tyrion that he walked like a rich man who owns the stones beneath his feet. It was like she was playing a part. Weird.

The expression on her face when she says "What do you care" was very David Brent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

DeadHand wrote: »
    It's testament to McShane's ability that his septon was so different to Swearengen: chirpy, jolly, amiable, words you couldn't use to describe Al- yet he's equally believable in both roles. Wish we could have seen more of him!

You obviously don't remember him as Lovejoy the loveable Antiques dealer so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Yaaaaay! By god, the Hound is a great character. Always a great performance as well.

This episode seemed particularly beautifully shot. The cinematography really stood out to me this week.

Can't wait to see what happens to Arya. Hope it's not the end of her as I enjoy her story and I'm hoping to see her return to Westeros.

I wonder if the High Sparrow knows that Margaery is bluffing. I'd be a little disappointed if he doesn't, to be honest. I imagine him being more clever than that. Also, I can only imagine Tommen complaining to him that he hasn't gotten the ride since Margaery came home :D

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    This episode seemed particularly beautifully shot. The cinematography really stood out to me this week.

My wife doesn't watch the show and doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to it when I'm watching. But twice she commented on how well shot this week's episode was. It did seem to be particularly cinematic in parts, new director maybe?

I really enjoyed this week's episode, even though as has been said already it was mostly positioning characters for their next moves. But starting off with The Hound and also bringing Bronn back just cheered me up no end. Hopefully now that they're back they'll actually be used and not just relegated to bit parts. I reckon there's probably little chance of that happening to The Hound, otherwise there'd be no point in bringing him back, but Bronn is too good a character not to be given plenty of screen time.

Advertisement