Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 7 "The Broken Man" - "Non book readers"

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

DeadHand wrote: »
    So...

Jon and Davos are perfectly happy to march upon 5000 well provisioned, battle hardened soldiers defending one of the strongest fortresses in Westeros with a 2400 strong army compromised mainly of lightly armoured Wildling skirmishers of dubious discipline...

Assault? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that in order to successfully assault a castle in a medieval setting the attackers would need to outnumber the defenders by at least 3 to 1. Even that seems conservative. Jon has less than half of what Ramsey has.

Starve them out? Roose already mentioned Winterfell has massive stockpiles of food in preparation for Stannis. Winterfell is warmed by natural springs. Jon's force, meanwhile, sits outside freezing and starving because a grand total of three impoverished Houses are supporting them and it's unlikely the Wildlings have miraculously developed a strong agricultural base in the few months they've come South of the Wall.

Draw him out and defeat him in the open field? Not happening, along with the overwhelming numerical advantage we know the Boltons have an abundance of cavalry. A much larger Wildling army was crushed in short order by Stannis' cavalry- being loose, individualistic fighters Wildlings are naturally weak against cavalry and have been shown to be on the show already.

Davos was preaching caution to Stannis after the mass desertions... Now he's a an insanely reckless commander all of a sudden? Jon has quite a bit of military training and experience, can he not see what madness that is? Sansa, the one with least experience, is the only one thinking.

The eagerness of Jon and especially Davos to make an attempt on Winterfell under these circumstances makes zero sense and is out of character.

As cliched as it may be, I expect Sansa and Jon's knowledge of Winterfell will be used, such as there being *sigh* a tunnel or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Or just stop watching. :confused:

I'm enjoying it immensely.
    with both the books and the series, I began by loving them ... and this petered out as none of the interesting stuff really progressed... However, I'm still emotionally invested in spite of all the killing off of the main characters (well... some were only mostly dead) and want some kind of catharsis... some wrapping up of the stories in some meaningful way... I don't think that it can deliver on the promise and possibilities that unfolded before us with the great first few seasons/books... but I still want to see it through.
    The recent episode continued in the vein of the show so far... that is, the building of stories to a crescendo on which the writers are running out of time to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Yip - remember with Joffrey took the stool away and Tyrion couldn't put his cloak around Sansa.

I forgot about that completely. Too much going on. I thought they were confusing Joffrey with a Lannister.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

As cliched as it may be, I expect Sansa and Jon's knowledge of Winterfell will be used, such as there being *sigh* a tunnel or something.

There are tunnels though. Maester Luwin told Theon about them when he was trying to convince Theon to join the Night's Watch in season 2.

Unlikely that Sansa or Jon know about them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

J. Marston wrote: »
    There are tunnels though. Maester Luwin told Theon about them when he was trying to convince Theon to join the Night's Watch in season 2.

Unlikely that Sansa or Jon know about them though.

Well if Sansa knew about them, she should have used them to escape!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well if Sansa knew about them, she should have used them to escape!

They are those escape tunnels that can only be opened from the outside in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭Degag

While i'd love to see Clegane vs Clegane, I can't really see it happening the way things are going at the moment. Like others have said, The Hound appears to be off on a revenge mission... How does that get him closer to KL? Also, he seemed to be growing to like the peasant life. Peace is something he never had and it's something he wanted. But now he's seen what happens and he looks to be returning to his old ways. How does that tie him in with the HS?

Saying that, there has to be something more to just killing a few random Brotherhood men if you bring a character back from supposed death and give constant clues such as "the gods are not finished with you yet"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ian McShane is 73. Crikey, wearing the years pretty well.

Enjoyed that episode. Pushing things along nicely now. I want Cleganebowl, but surely The Hound is to far away from KL?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭Degag

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but loved that in the first scene that it showed 4 people struggling to carry a log to the church but then followed The Hound carrying a log on his own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Degag wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned or not but loved that in the first scene that it showed 4 people struggling to carry a log to the church but then followed The Hound carrying a log on his own!

Its foreshadowing

Episode 8, after The Hound defeating The Mountain in Cleganebowl a group of the faith millitant move into dispose of his body. The Hound pushes them away picks up the Mountain and says "He Ain't heavy he's my brother"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Its foreshadowing

Episode 8, after The Hound defeating The Mountain in Cleganebowl a group of the faith millitant move into dispose of his body. The Hound pushes them away picks up the Mountain and says "He Ain't heavy he's my brother"

Yes! That has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Only got round to seeing this yesterday. Great episode, left me hanging for more. With 3 episodes to go, here's hoping a lot starts getting wrapped up.
    DeadHand wrote: »
    So...

The eagerness of Jon and especially Davos to make an attempt on Winterfell under these circumstances makes zero sense and is out of character.

I don't think anyone pointed this out already but Jon wants to get Rickon back. I figured that was the key driving factor in his rashness. Wasn't that the clincher for him when Sansa was trying to convince him to fight in the first place? I think the impending arrival of the dead is weighing in too, he knows that time is not on their side. He needs to unite the north ASAP in order to prepare for the real war.

As for Davos... as Sansa pointed out, he's not a great tactician or advisor. He was cautious over Stannis's plans because he didn't believe in the Red Witch. Here, I think he's just caught up in the action and is a bit gung ho about it. Same as Jon too, the dead army is a factor.

Advertisement