Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criterium de Dauphine 2016 - mod warning in post 223 and OP

Options
  • 05-06-2016 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

First stage was today, only 4 Kms but up a "wall", average of 9% with ramps of 14% and 15%. a hell of a result for Dan Martin in that company.
    CONTADOR A.
    TNK 11' 36''
    PORTE R.
    BMC 00' 06''
    FROOME C.
    SKY 00' 13''
    MARTIN D.
    EQS 00' 21''

PROFIL.jpg

Mod warning (see post 223)
    Beasty wrote: »
    A number of posts have crossed the line, and there will be no more warnings, so let's drop the discussion on commentary and the consequent comments about what other people have posted on that subject

If anyone has a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning on-thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great to see something different for a prologue rather the usual flat few kms. Nice to see Sam Bennet in action although at the opposite end of the field to Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

That uphill prologue was a brilliant start to Dauphine, it's going to be some battle for GC. Great effort from Dan but a real pity Eurosports cameras didn't focus on him whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

That uphill prologue was a brilliant start to Dauphine, it's going to be some battle for GC. Great effort from Dan but a real pity Eurosports cameras didn't focus on him whatsoever.

I tried to watch it today on eurosport missed the most of it but from what they said on air low clouds prevented helicopters use so appatently only start and finish cameras were available. And its not eurosports cameras but the ASOs or one of the french tv channel that feeds the ES channel with the footage. Same story with tdf, giro and vuelta accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anybody know why Wout Poels was last off the start ramp, rather than defending champion Chris Froome?

Edit: A bit of Googling has told me that rain was predicted for the later starters so Froome decided to start earlier, rather than last. I didn't think that a rider/team could swap the start order within their team... but obviously they can. Thibaut Pinot should have started fourth last, but he swapped also. They were the only GC guys that did so though.

Great effort from Dan but a real pity Eurosports cameras didn't focus on him whatsoever.

As omri said, it's out of Eurosport's hands.

• Advertisement

Just finished watching the highlights on Eurosport. Cracking stage. Such a pity that the TV production company did such a bad job with the live pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Great ride by Dan Martin...he is in great form it seems

Strava segment for the climb from today's stage (3.6 km in length whereas the whole stage was 3.9 km). Needless to say, all the previous best times were shattered by the pros today :pac: Romain Bardet is the new KOM.

Out of the pros on Strava who also have power meters......
    Louis Vervaeke (29 seconds behind Bardet on the climb) averaged 419 Watts, which equals 6.45 W/Kg (based on a weight of 65 kg from here).
    Daryl Impey (33 seconds behind Bardet on the climb) averaged 462 Watts, which equals 6.6 W/Kg (based on a weight of 70 kg from here).

Obviously the weights posted on ProCyclingStats are a bit off as Impey produced more power but was slower than Veraeke :o

Either way it sheds some light on the kind of power that the pros can output when the climb essentially encapsulates the whole stage and everyone is in good condition.

Impey and Vervaeke finished the stage in 26th and 28th place respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I suppose the 2 standouts in terms of eye-catching Contador for winning & Dan Martin for putting in such a great ride. Sam Bennett perhaps a bit lucky to still allowed be in the race after finishing 5 minutes 7 seconds down to the winner of the stage who had a total time of 11 minutes 36!

pelevin wrote: »
    I suppose the 2 standouts in terms of eye-catching Contador for winning & Dan Martin for putting in such a great ride. Sam Bennett perhaps a bit lucky to still allowed be in the race after finishing 5 minutes 7 seconds down to the winner of the stage with a total time of 11 minutes 36!

There was no time limit so he was okay.... but still, he finished 29 seconds behind the second last place rider. I don't know if Sam was really struggling or if it was a tactical move for tomorrow's stage.... I suppose we'll find out tomorrow!

There was no time limit so he was okay.... but still, he finished 29 seconds behind the second last place rider. I don't know if Sam was really struggling or if it was a tactical move for tomorrow's stage.... I suppose we'll find out tomorrow!

Just pride so to stop a rider going as slow as he wanted. Presumably Sam was pretty easy about how things might have looked! Hopefully he'll finish the other end of things tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

pelevin wrote: »
    I suppose the 2 standouts in terms of eye-catching Contador for winning & Dan Martin for putting in such a great ride. Sam Bennett perhaps a bit lucky to still allowed be in the race after finishing 5 minutes 7 seconds down to the winner of the stage who had a total time of 11 minutes 36!

Contador looked superb. I can't see him being beaten this week.

I was saying to a mate yesterday that we haven't seen an in form Froome v an in form Contador at the Tour yet. The only time it came close was 2014, when they both crashed out. It'd be great to see this year. Froome v Contador v Quintana with all 3 in form would be unreal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Contador looked superb. I can't see him being beaten this week.

I was saying to a mate yesterday that we haven't seen an in form Froome v an in form Contador at the Tour yet. The only time it came close was 2014, when they both crashed out. It'd be great to see this year. Froome v Contador v Quintana with all 3 in form would be unreal.

Hopefully. Imagine how amazing it'd be if there were only something like 6-man teams so the action wasn't controlled by the robots till the final climbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Todays stage of 186 Kms. No climbs of note, the gc fireworks come later in the week.
    PROFIL.jpg

Kristoff, Degenkolb or Bouhanni for the stage win today, with Sam not too far behind hopefully.

Live coverage on Eurosport2 from 3pm.

Kristoff, Degenkolb or Bouhanni for the stage win today, with Sam not too far behind hopefully.

Live coverage on Eurosport2 from 3pm.

That should have read:

"Kristoff, Degenkolb or Bouhanni to come second today, with Sam a bit in front hopefully."

Just to warn you that you came very close to betraying Ireland with that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gotta be some bans handed out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

bit of handbags there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

So close for Sam. Reckon there will be lots of investigating that finish. Nearly a few fists thrown in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

So close for Sam. Reckon there will be lots of investigating that finish. Nearly a few fists thrown in there

Headbutts

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Great ride by Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thud wrote: »
    Headbutts

Yep there were plenty of headbutts but nearly came to worse I reckon. A few riders all over the road looking like they almost pulled a few people down, mainly an AG2R rider and the Confidis/Katusha teams

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Great, another year of Carlton telling us that EBH is about to become awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lumen wrote: »
    Great, another year of Carlton telling us that EBH is about to become awesome.

Well some day he might be right. A broken clock and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Bennet's best ever result in a WT race?

Absolutely fantastic ride by Sam. So close to winning, but great result nonetheless.

happytramp wrote: »
    Bennet's best ever result in a WT race?

Yeah, in a WT race I think.
    His previous best was fourth place in a Tirreno-Adriatico stage in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

He's beaten Bouhanni before and Kristoff and Degenklob a couple of times now... I'd love to see him go to the Vuelta and grab a couple of stages.

Advertisement