Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criterium de Dauphine 2016 - mod warning in post 223 and OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Not wanting to bring Kirby up again but did he not say Cummings would win a rolling stage?.I know he usually picks everyone so he's bound to get one right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

surripere wrote: »
    Hate Porte, smug prick, bet he ain't smirking now
    Ah now that's a bit harsh. I think he just suffers from unfortunate facial expressions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Nobody will fear Porte in the tour. Has never proofed it over 3 weeks. How strong are sky tho!! And have Thomas also! Interesting Quintana didn't ride either dauphin or Suisse . Most GC rider goes for either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Nobody will fear Porte in the tour. Has never proofed it over 3 weeks. How strong are sky tho!! And have Thomas also! Interesting Quintana didn't ride either dauphin or Suisse . Most GC rider goes for either

do bmc even have a team for the tour? they seem to be letting both porte and van gardren go as "co" team leaders/GC riders which is the right way to ensure your team and effort at the tour is a total shambles. Im sure richie will be a decent domestique though for the sky lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

A lot of venom was spewed in this thread about commentators and riders alike. These are real people doing jobs with familes just like us and don't deserve to be called the insulting things that they have been. I don't understand the attitude or the anger towards these individuals. I do hope that the threads for the tour are not contaminated in the same manner as this one has been. It really, really takes from the enjoyment of discussig the stages and the race.

Please dial it back a bit.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    A lot of venom was spewed in this thread about commentators and riders alike. These are real people doing jobs with familes just like us and don't deserve to be called the insulting things that they have been. I don't understand the attitude or the anger towards these individuals. I do hope that the threads for the tour are not contaminated in the same manner as this one has been. It really, really takes from the enjoyment of discussig the stages and the race.

Saying somebody is doing A bad job when they are in the public limelight is ok but personal attacks by foul language are out of order. None of us no any of these individuals and they could all be decent people but criticism is acceptable to me if that's what they are getting paid the big bucks for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ah shut the fúck up, its not like its the front page of the Times in here or any of them actually read it. I am not mad on people slagging the riders but your moral high horse is too high to be believable tbh.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Ah shut the fúck up, its not like its the front page of the Times in here or any of them actually read it. I am not mad on people slagging the riders but your moral high horse is too high to be believable tbh.

It's a thread to discuss the race not to call people pr1cks, etc and it takes from the enjoyment of the thread.

Edit: Just because the subject of the comments doesn't read it, doesn't make it acceptable.

Saying somebody is doing A bad job when they are in the public limelight is ok but personal attacks by foul language are out of order. None of us no any of these individuals and they could all be decent people but criticism is acceptable to me if that's what they are getting paid the big bucks for

Criticism is of course ok but does it need to be in nearly every second post? CK is a this...he's a that...he's xyz. WE KNOW! So let's discuss the race instead.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts have crossed the line, and there will be no more warnings, so let's drop the discussion on commentary and the consequent comments about what other people have posted on that subject

If anyone has a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning on-thread

• Advertisement

BOT - after the sky train recoupled its carriages it looked like Froome and Porte had a chat about what must have been the time bonus and sky helping Porte stay on the podium. He looked to be making his move on the right but was too far back cos Dan went at the same time on the left but from closer to the front. Forced the action over the road and cut off Portes previously clear path around the outside. Positional error compounded by the entanglement with Froome (but he'd never have caught them without that anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Just to add I really like Bardet as a rider - gutsy and aggressive. Pity he messed about a bit yday towards the finish. If he'd gotten the race lead he'd have forced Froome onto the offensive ramping up the racing higher again, and in turn making Froome perhaps vulnerable to likes of Contador

pelevin wrote: »
    Just to add I really like Bardet as a rider - gutsy and aggressive. Pity he messed about a bit yday towards the finish. If he'd gotten the race lead he'd have forced Froome onto the offensive ramping up the racing higher again, and in turn making Froome perhaps vulnerable to likes of Contador

Yea, he missed the wood from the trees a bit by not putting pride/dislike aside and being practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Romain Bardet in L'Equipe: "That's what I hate in modern cycling: sit back, stay defensive. Fortunately, there are still riders like Contador..."

Seems like a good chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Porte and Van Garderen are the most boring and safe riders in the peleton. Never actually appear to do anything and just wait for others to crack. No aggression about them at all.

Yeah, like you'd be launching attacks every second minute if you were there.

Maybe, they are just on the limit already and don't have the ability to attack. Or maybe, they know they are only going to put themselves into trouble by going too hard.

I seriously doubt these guys dedicate their lives to cycling and then just sit there to watch the scenery. These guys are elite competitors, they would have to be just to get into the elite level, they don't enjoy being beaten

Leroy42 wrote: »

Maybe, they are just on the limit already and don't have the ability to attack. Or maybe, they know they are only going to put themselves into trouble by going too hard.

I seriously doubt these guys dedicate their lives to cycling and then just sit there to watch the scenery. These guys are elite competitors, they would have to be just to get into the elite level, they don't enjoy being beaten

Aye if you take Dan Martin as an example, he tried to bridge to Contador on the penultimate climb and ended up getting dropped, luckily he was able to recover, but you'd have to think his best option there was to sit in with Porte....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Thud

Sam finished third in the points classification too, he's made the sprint stages far more interesting from an Irish perspective, hoping he'll stay healthy, have a good tour and maybe nick the green jersey for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Porte rode a pretty cagey race but it shouldn't be underestimated that these guys are to a large degree controlled from the team car. I read an interview with a rider recently, and I cannot remember who or where it was, but he said that BMC's DSs were in general very conservative, and their instinct if they were high up on GC was always to preserve what they had and bag the UCI points rather than making risky moves that might win the race.

Aye if you take Dan Martin as an example, he tried to bridge to Contador on the penultimate climb and ended up getting dropped, luckily he was able to recover, but you'd have to think his best option there was to sit in with Porte....

Yes but he must think with an attacking mind slong the lines if "we can both push on" and/or "this might break them" versus "I'll stay here and see what happens rather than make something happen".

Both effective to a point but subject to other factors (ds, etc).

Yes but he must think with an attacking mind slong the lines if "we can both push on" and/or "this might break them" versus "I'll stay here and see what happens rather than make something happen".

Both effective to a point but subject to other factors (ds, etc).

He knew he had the best kick in the last 1km though, a kick that would have been no use had he not got back on, I don't think it was the best idea to try and bridge to Bertie yesterday myself, but I hear what you are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I think criticism of TVG as being defensive is perhaps unfair. I don't think he can expect much more than survival against the proper mountain men & I remember him being aggressive in the Dauphine last year. With Porte though I feel it's more a question of temperament. I'd imagine he was every bit as strong as Bardet yday who'd put in a surely much bigger effort the previous stage than Porte, & yet still tried to attack & put some pressure on.

On the tangent of being controlled by the DS in the team car - a few stages back the BMC DS told Porte not to work with Froome but he did so giving up any chance of the stage win 'against' a rider who was more thn likely superior and going all in with driving things on anyway.

After been down a few days ago about the prospects of a good Tour, i'm more upbeat after watching last nights highlights especially if Contador was suffering with allergies,even though i never heard it been mentioned. I had a Google for it and only found links about previous years when had them.

The amount of attacks he put in yesterday was impressive and he has shown before its the best way to beat Froome. If his TT form is good he could keep it interesting with one hilly and one mountain TT.

I think his team could be a let down for him again and if Majka is in the team he'll probably be worn out from the Giro.

Also if the others are willing to have a go at the Sky team it will make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

He knew he had the best kick in the last 1km though, a kick that would have been no use had he not got back on, I don't think it was the best idea to try and bridge to Bertie yesterday myself, but I hear what you are saying.

Guys, perhaps a silly question, is it only in Ireland that we sometimes refer to Contador as Bertie ?

Guys, perhaps a silly question, is it only in Ireland that we sometimes refer to Contador as Bertie ?

I call him that where ever I am.

pelevin wrote: »
    On the tangent of being controlled by the DS in the team car - a few stages back the BMC DS told Porte not to work with Froome but he did so giving up any chance of the stage win 'against' a rider who was more thn likely superior and going all in with driving things on anyway.

True, but it did cement his 2nd spot at the time, if he had not worked with Froome he would not have gained as much time. Much like Bardet would have been better served working with Pinot to maximise the gap on the following stage and could well have won the race had he done so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Leroy42 wrote: »

Some riders are more aggressive in nature and some are not, it's not all down to fitness or ability. Take Chavanel or Voeckleur, not necessarily the absolute fittest riders in the pro peloton, but they'll attack at the drop of a hat. We can like certain riders more or less because of that, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some riders are more aggressive in nature and some are not, it's not all down to fitness or ability. Take Chavanel or Voeckleur, not necessarily the absolute fittest riders in the pro peloton, but they'll attack at the drop of a hat. We can like certain riders more or less because of that, nothing wrong with that.
    Yes, and diversity makes it more interesting. Imagine a whole grand tour (a gurn?) of Voeckleurs, it'd be nuts in a bad way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

No, matt stephens on gcn constantly referes to him as bertie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, and diversity makes it more interesting. Imagine a whole grand tour (a gurn?) of Voeckleurs, it'd be nuts in a bad way.

For sure, but you don't have to like them all equally.

• Advertisement

For sure, but you don't have to like them all equally.

Racist.

Advertisement