Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plum tree - what type to get

Options
  • 05-06-2016 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Want to get a small plum tree - max height 3 meters and sweet plums

What to get?
    Where to get it ?

Thanks

Also looking for a cherry tree with a similar spec

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

worded wrote: »
    Want to get a small plum tree - max height 3 meters and sweet plums

What to get?
    Where to get it ?

Thanks

Also looking for a cherry tree with a similar spec

I would suggest Opal for the plum and Stella for the cherry, both self fertile and reliable in my garden. You should get them in any decent Garden Centre or nursery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks

Will have a look at Garden Centres / nursery

Im getting these for my folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

In my experience you're better off to buy pot grown plants if you want to be sure of getting small trees as these will usually be grafted. Make sure you ask at the garden centre and get Pixy rootstock for the plum and G5 for the cherry if possible
    DX 85 is right about birds being a nuisance but I just throw a piece of fleece or netting over the cherry when they start to redden. My plum is trained on a fence but there is usually enough fruit to satisfy me, the birds and half the neighbourhood.
    Silverleaf can be a big problem with plums so make sure your parents are aware of the pruning requirements. Plums should always be pruned between mid June and mid July.

Advertisement