Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toolmaker but mind Is elsewhere !

• 05-06-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Not sure if this is the right thread to be on but here I go with my rant.

I'm a Toolmaker and have been for 13 out of 16yrs and presently employed by a great company. Hours are great and alot of extras plus i get 40k per annum.

Now I don't know if I'm having a mid life crisis or what but for the last few years I believe I want something else.

Out of my 16 yrs as a Toolmaker I took 3 yrs out to work in construction as a general labourer. Which I really enjoyed. Job satisfaction was amazing. Watching as the months went by at a muddy hole turn into a hotel.
    I find myself at times thinking of those days on site and wish I could do it more. I find myself daydreaming of working in a forest or as a gardener etc. All types of outdoor work actually.

The thing is is a don't know how to break the cycle I'm in.
    Is there anyone out there who drastically changed career at the age of 37 ?

Can anyone give me advice.

I do realise I'm fortunate and shouldn't have anything to complain about. But we have this one life and I don't want to work in a glorified shed anymore. I'm sick of precision. I'm sick of machines. I'm sick of the smell of coolant.
    Apologies for the rant just had to get it off my chest.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

37 is not too old or young to change career if you ask me.

What you want to change to though is a tricky one as it seems like you don't know yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tirnanog79

That's a fact. I don't know what I want but I do know I don't want what I have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not sure what to say tbh but you do have your 13 years tool making experience to fall back on if you do decide to do something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What about something like agricultural repair or construction?

I'm looking into forest work. I can do a level 5 & 6 in Cavan and apply in WIT for a bachelor's in Forestry.
    I've always had an interest in the outdoors.
    It's just that I have the fear !
    I'm 37 married with 2 kids and renting ! How can I drop my job and go back to college? I'm I mental and should I just get over where I am in life.

Apologise that i have so many questions and I realise no one else can answer them for me.

I think I'm having a mid life crisis :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

While you're in a stable job, and you're considering getting additional third level skills, why not try to do a course part time while you continue to earn at your current role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Tirnanog79 wrote: »
    I'm looking into forest work. I can do a level 5 & 6 in Cavan and apply in WIT for a bachelor's in Forestry.
    I've always had an interest in the outdoors.
    It's just that I have the fear !
    I'm 37 married with 2 kids and renting ! How can I drop my job and go back to college? I'm I mental and should I just get over where I am in life.

Apologise that i have so many questions and I realise no one else can answer them for me.

I think I'm having a mid life crisis :)

you'll have to sit down with the wife and talk it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

If your hours are good and flexible, you have a decent salary and a desire to do something else I would suggest that the first thing to do should be to investigate the notion of a part time course in whatever tickles your fancy.

There's a lot less risk than just packing up your job and you'll have other things to concentrate on and focus the mind to break up the monotony that comes with having one job for 13 years. No matter how much you like a job, if you do it 5 days a week for 13 years you'll get bored with it, that's normal I would imagine.

Keep in mind that if you go back to something like working on a site or as a tree surgeon or other outdoorsy thing like that, they are very physically demanding and will you be happy with that when you're 60/65/70 or whatever retirement age will be in 30 years time?

Advertisement