Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone found in turf

Options
  • 05-06-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Any idea on what the below could be? The father in law found it in a sod of turf. It certainly looks to have been hand made. The hole in the centre has marks around it suggesting it was bored out and there are other scratches and such around the whole thing.

387884.JPG

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Loom weight or fishing net weight?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Wibbs wrote: »
    Loom weight or fishing net weight?

Both are very possible, and either way that's a pretty serious find - well done! If it's a loom weight it could be indicating the vicinity of an early-medieval or medieval settlement, and if it's a net weight, fishing activity potentially far earlier. You should report it to the Duty Officer in the National Museum ASAP, and try to get an idea of where the turf was cut. Was it blanket bog or raised bog?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Its a blanket bog.

The sea would be very close to the area the turf was cut so that would lend argument towards the fishing net weight I imagine. It is his own turf so he knows exactly where it came from. And he was very excited about the whole thing!

What does reporting it involve? And would they likely want to see the area or want to see the stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I'm not an archaeologist so am open to contradiction but üas far as I know all artefacts essentially belong to the state and you are legally obliged to report it. The museum will most likely need to inspect the area it was found to understand its context and if further investigation is needed. Please report this op, it's the right thing to do. U have in your hand a tangible piece of the history of Ireland. In cases of exceptional importance ie the ardagh chalice.. There may be a reward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

SeaFields wrote: »
    Its a blanket bog.

The sea would be very close to the area the turf was cut so that would lend argument towards the fishing net weight I imagine. It is his own turf so he knows exactly where it came from. And he was very excited about the whole thing!

What does reporting it involve? And would they likely want to see the area or want to see the stone?

Contact the NMI. The details are in the sticky on the laws on archaeology etc.
    You will be sent out a form which you fill in and return.
    A visit is pretty unlikely in this instance. Well done for reporting it.

It is a spindle whorl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

slowburner wrote: »

It is a spindle whorl.

What kind of time period would we likely be looking at if it's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was thinking Quern Stone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

SeaFields wrote: »
    What kind of time period would we likely be looking at if it's that?
    Anywhere from the Neolithic to the Medieval period.
    Its position in the peat relative to the surface or pre-bog surface might give some indication of when it was deposited. However, there are a number of factors that could skew this impression so depth in the peat is not necessarily a reliable indication of age.
    The way the central aperture has been bored on this one could indicate that it is an early version.

Much too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

slowburner wrote: »
    Much too small.

This is a Quern stone (scale in pic is 1 meter)
    Quern_M8A1594.jpg?itok=OO7bDrJc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

Spindle whorl or Tuyere
    For photos of very similar looking items see Paul Rondelez thesis on Ironworking in late medieval Ireland c. 1200 to 1600 at Cork Open Research Archive Vol 1 page 172

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there a possibility of not having a fire next winter if this is reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

This is a Quern stone (scale in pic is 1 meter)
    Quern_M8A1594.jpg?itok=OO7bDrJc

Yes they are often huge. There's a smaller disc that goes on top of that big one, I don't know what it's called. Thought it might be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Looks about the right size for a friction fire flywheel

Yes they are often huge. There's a smaller disc that goes on top of that big one, I don't know what it's called. Thought it might be that.
    Upper stone, and lower stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit big for a spindle whorl, and not all that symmetrical.

looksee wrote: »
    Its a bit big for a spindle whorl, and not all that symmetrical.

It is large, but by modern standards. I would not be overly concerned about regularity. It has been in a bog for a long time, and subjected to numerous taphonomic processes. Possibly even including a life before the bog formed. It would be interesting to learn where it was found in the stratigraphy.
    The morphology of the central perforation hints at an early date. That perforation was not made with tools or with a technique we would recognise today, except where the 'V' profile was formed by repeated wear from a tapered rod. Similar wear patterns occur on early spud stones, and in the cups of cupmarks. Where the patterns are not a product of wear, they are usually thought to have been made by pecking.
    Later spindle whorls have a regular, symmetrical bore to receive regular, symmetrical dowels. Early spindle whorls did not have the luxury of symmetrical dowels, especially if those dowels were made with primitive tools.
    However, the possibility that this is a fishing weight (as Wibbs suggested) is also worth bearing in mind.
    Context is everything. This is a classic example of how we would be able to make a more definitive statement, if we had a more informed context.
    Isolated things tell us very little. It is the context surrounding the things, and the things in context that inform us about the past.

Advertisement