Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reusing an old case and PSU.

Options
  • 05-06-2016 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm just mulling over an idea at the moment and wondering if I can re-use some bits of an old PC.

What I'm thinking I need is a machine to run multiple VMs (VirtualBox on a Debian server probably). I know - lots of cores and RAM and I have a NAS for the storage.

This could be a few months away yet (I need to improve the finances), so I'm not looking for build specifics now.

I have an old Dell Dimension E520 (pics attached) which has a 305w PSU.

Edit: Just realised the Back shot cut off a bit of the bottom, there are 4 slots.

Could the case and PSU be re-used for a potential Virtual Host Machine? I don't need it to be pretty as it will be hidden.

Thanks muchly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Case is BTX - i.e., the motherboard is mounted at the opposite side to most motherboards that you'll buy (ATX/mATX/mini-ITX etc).
    PSU could probably be reused though the cable lengths are usually designed to meet the needs in the existing case so you may find one or two a little short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Monotype wrote: »
    Case is BTX - i.e., the motherboard is mounted at the opposite side to most motherboards that you'll buy (ATX/mATX/mini-ITX etc).
    PSU could probably be reused though the cable lengths are usually designed to meet the needs in the existing case so you may find one or two a little short.

Jesus that's well spotted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can put a Quad C2D in that and up to 8GB of RAM. If you are getting a new motherboard and CPU I'd just get a new case. Or buy something newer used. Theres cheap i3's for very little now. All SFF cases mainly though which is only an issue if you wanted to game on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Thanks folks. That has saved me some heartache - I didn't even know there was such a thing as BTX :o. Now I do, and all thanks to the heroes on here. :D

I'll just squirrel away a few more shekels for a case and PSU. ;)

Advertisement