Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break lease by offering to sublet

Options
  • 05-06-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/ending-your-tenancy/

"Under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, a tenant can request permission to assign or sublet a tenancy. If your landlord refuses, you may terminate the tenancy even if you have a fixed term lease. (See Getting Someone to Replace You)."

According to this, if my interpretation is correct, I'm guaranteed my depsoit back even though I'm leaving early as long as I find someone/offer to find someone early and then give 28 days notice?

Is this always the case? It doesnt mention whether this particular piece of legislation is affected by contractual no break clauses...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

stainluss wrote: »

"Under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, a tenant can request permission to assign or sublet a tenancy. If your landlord refuses, you may terminate the tenancy even if you have a fixed term lease. (See Getting Someone to Replace You)."

According to this, if my interpretation is correct, I'm guaranteed my depsoit back even though I'm leaving early as long as I find someone/offer to find someone early and then give 28 days notice?

Is this always the case? It doesnt mention whether this particular piece of legislation is affected by contractual no break clauses...

The notice period depends on how long the tenancy has lasted. It has effect despite any contractual provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

4ensic15 wrote: »

The notice period depends on how long the tenancy has lasted. It has effect despite any contractual provision.
    Just to clarify we can feasibly break any lease then and get our deposit as long as we follow that process, no matter what's in the contract?

A lot of people seem to lose their deposit trying to get out, I guess they just don't want the hassle of trying to find someone (or are ignorant to this law)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Just to clarify we can feasibly break any lease then and get our deposit as long as we follow that process, no matter what's in the contract?

A lot of people seem to lose their deposit trying to get out, I guess they just don't want the hassle of trying to find someone?

Effectively yes.

Any clause in a lease that is contrary to the terms of the RTA 2004 is not enforceable. Bear in mind the return of the deposit is subject to deductions on any damage above wear and tear. If the landlord withholds the deposit you may have to file a dispute with the RTB to get it back again. This is where some people might not bother/don't know and the landlord gets away with it.

Advertisement