Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict land

• 05-06-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

A local farmer who's land I shoot on is involved with a local football team and asked me if I would mind dropping down and clearing out the rabbits with my 22 as the rabbits are making a mess of the football pitches. The only thing is to really make a dent on the population we would really have to do most of the shooting on the land behind the football pitches which is not owned by the football club its derelict and owned by Nama.

So I was just wondering if I was to venture on to the derelict land to shoot the rabbits would the Guards take issue with that on the slim chance it was reported or should I just stick to taking which ever ones venture out on to the pitch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Definitely stay off the land as you will have no direct permission from those who have a say in the matter and in this case NAMA.

I would be careful with the football pitches, who is actually in control of it and not the local clubs etc. Unless this is a privately owned you'll need the permission of the owners, as the club or what not may be leasing the land and any activity outside of the terms of the lease agreement may be deemed illegal.
    I have done pest control on privately owned golf courses but with the express permission of the management.

Just be careful as a over diligent member of the public could cause snags

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

Definitely stay off the land as you will have no direct permission from those who have a say in the matter and in this case NAMA.

I would be careful with the football pitches, who is actually in control of it and not the local clubs etc. Unless this is a privately owned you'll need the permission of the owners, as the club or what not may be leasing the land and any activity outside of the terms of the lease agreement may be deemed illegal.
    I have done pest control on privately owned golf courses but with the express permission of the management.

Just be careful as a over diligent member of the public could cause snags

Thanks cookimonster. Yep I was thinking it may be best to stay of the land. The ownership of the football pitches is no problem the farmer has already cleared it with the owners and I've had a chat with the caretaker so I.m pretty confident that end is all above board. I had a walk through the derelict land yesterday and the place was just overrun with rabbits but I was worried about bringing my rifle on there without permission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

shane7 wrote: »
    Thanks cookimonster. Yep I was thinking it may be best to stay of the land. The ownership of the football pitches is no problem the farmer has already cleared it with the owners and I've had a chat with the caretaker so I.m pretty confident that end is all above board. I had a walk through the derelict land yesterday and the place was just overrun with rabbits but I was worried about bringing my rifle on there without permission

I'd be very slow to hunt on land that I didn't have written permission to be on.

You would be opening yourself for trespass (I don't think we have armed trespass here) and for breaches of the wildlife acts. It isn't the owner who needs to bring the charges against you, someone just seeing you with a gun in the field near a sportsclub and calling the guards could start the ball of **** rolling towards you.

Advertisement