Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet port in every room

Options
  • 06-06-2016 6:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Bought a newly built house and it has ethernet ports in every room, except the bathrooms. I spoke with the builder's electrician who said it is set up so to avoid relying on wifi for all devices, which makes sense. I assume the method is to plug a router into the hub that joins all the ports. That hub is in a utility room off the kitchen. I had a Sky engineer out to install a router and showed him the hub but he had no clue how to set up the router to it, so he just installed the router upstairs.

But I still like the idea of being able to plug in devices into the ethernet ports. Any idea how to get it working? Perhaps get another engineer out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Its hard to give exact advice without seeing how the house is wired but I would say you connect the router to the closest ethernet point going back to the hub.
    The Sky "engineer" should get a kick in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

What are the make and model of the hub? Or could you post a pic? There will probably be an uplink port on the hub for connection to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Are all the cables terminated in a patch panel?
    You'll need to post a few pics.
    It would have been better if he had installed the router near the patch panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

air wrote: »
    Are all the cables terminated in a patch panel?
    You'll need to post a few pics.
    It would have been better if he had installed the router near the patch panel.

Yes, idiot or lazy twat.
    I re-cabled my house (after buying it), bringing all the cables that had been draped over the roof inside. Sky dude arrives, ignores my access point and begins to throw a cable over the roof at which point I politely told him to p1ss off. He said he could not stand over previously installed cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭matzen

Tks for the replies. Don't know the model number of the hub but have added pics of it and a regular ethernet port in the bedroom along with a pic of the Sky installation.

Sky%20installation.jpg
    Ethernet%20port.jpg
    Hub.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

matzen wrote: »
    Bought a newly built house and it has ethernet ports in every room, except the bathrooms. I spoke with the builder's electrician who said it is set up so to avoid relying on wifi for all devices, which makes sense. I assume the method is to plug a router into the hub that joins all the ports. That hub is in a utility room off the kitchen. I had a Sky engineer out to install a router and showed him the hub but he had no clue how to set up the router to it, so he just installed the router as usual near the Sky box in the sitting room.

But I still like the idea of being able to plug in devices into the ethernet ports. Any idea how to get it working? Perhaps get another engineer out?

Ethernet ports will connect in "either direction", so the biggest question is where your Internet connection is. I'm guessing it's near the hub, if the house is wired sensibly ?

If so, you could just unplug the Sky router from where it is, and plug its CAT5 / CAT6 LAN cable into your patch panel, while connecting the router to the phone line/internet connection; any other devices connected to the patch panel will "find" the connected router.

What's confusing me is how the router is currently doing anything if it's not connected / in a different room to the 'phone line ? Do you have Internet access ? If not then he didn't "install" anything; if the first pic is of the Sky router plugged into the wall then there seems to be no cable into the phone socket!

Sky router is connected. The ethernet cable shown in the photo goes into the router. The engineer couldn't attached it to the hub as that little 'hump' in the photo with the cable had to be set up. Currently we use wifi but have a wifi extender set up as the signal from the router is ****e..
    Ethernet ports will connect in "either direction", so the biggest question is where your Internet connection is. I'm guessing it's near the hub, if the house is wired sensibly ?

If so, you could just unplug the Sky router from where it is, and plug its CAT5 / CAT6 LAN cable into your patch panel, while connecting the router to the phone line/internet connection; any other devices connected to the patch panel will "find" the connected router.

What's confusing me is how the router is currently doing anything if it's not connected / in a different room to the 'phone line ? Do you have Internet access ? If not then he didn't "install" anything; if the first pic is of the Sky router plugged into the wall then there seems to be no cable into the phone socket!

Sky router is connected. The ethernet cable shown in the photo goes into the router. The engineer couldn't attached it to the hub as that little 'hump' in the photo with the cable had to be set up. Currently we use wifi but have a wifi extender set up as the signal from the router is ****e..

An Ethernet cable won't give you an Internet connection though ? The Sky router needs a 'phone line ?

So a single Ethernet cable from the wall to the router won't give you Internet.

Do you have Internet access and are all 3 lights in the front of the Sky router connected ?

PM me if you want and I'll try to make sense of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

galljga1 wrote:
    Its hard to give exact advice without seeing how the house is wired but I would say you connect the router to the closest ethernet point going back to the hub. The Sky "engineer" should get a kick in the arse.

In fairness to the sky engineer they usually have to set everything up a certain way. Sky can guarantee that their set up will work but they have no idea if the hub will work.
    I install showers. Let's say I fit a triton t90z & the homeowner has a fancy shower head they want to use. I have to use the triton shower head. I can show the homeowner how to swap heads after I leave but I can't sign off on an unknown being attached to the shower. I know how stupid that can sound.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness to the sky engineer they usually have to set everything up a certain way. Sky can guarantee that their set up will work but they have no idea if the hub will work.
    I install showers. Let's say I fit a triton t90z & the homeowner has a fancy shower head they want to use. I have to use the triton shower head. I can show the homeowner how to swap heads after I leave but I can't sign off on an unknown being attached to the shower. I know how stupid that can sound.

It makes sense but if it's a 30-second plug-in-to-check then it's hardly a major task.

In addition I've no idea how the "install" above could be giving ANY internet access, which means he seems to have left it without knowing whether or not it worked / would work when connected ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

The 1x8 row at the top is the patch panel. The blue cables you see in the back go from the patch panel to the data points in each room.
    The 2x4 is the switch.
    You need to connect 8 half meter network cables between the two. This will make the ports in each room live.
    At the top of the switch there are two Line In ports. You need to connect the sky box to line 1.

The part at the bottom right is the satellite cable splitter. Are there TV ports in some rooms?

What service do you have with Sky? Is it just broadband?
    If so, you can patch the sky line into the switch using the data port on the wall, but they're not labelled it looks like, so it's a little bit tricky. This'll be the biggest problem you'll face with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The first picture shows the sky box connected to the phone line via a wall filter.

OP can you see what the purple wires are connected to in the hub?

This is the hub: http://www.hager.ie/building-automation-wiring-accessories/hager-media-hub/991.htm

There's no ethernet switch. The 2x4 panel is a telephone splitter therefore the phone line should really come into the house here. The sky modem should really have been installed in or next to the hub, you would then patch the 4 ports in the sky box to the connectors for the four rooms you want a cabled to. Or buy a cheap switch and connect all the rooms. All the sky guy would need to do is install the modem as normal at the hub.

TheChizler wrote: »
    The first picture shows the sky box connected to the phone line via a wall filter.

It does ? I'm missing a few pics so (on mobile) because all I see as a first pic is a LAN cable connected to the port clearly labelled with a computer, and the phone line socket is empty.

It does ? I'm missing a few pics so (on mobile) because all I see as a first pic is a LAN cable connected to the port clearly labelled with a computer, and the phone line socket is empty.
    That's a phone cable plugged into a wall plate with built in phone/broadband filter.

That's a phone cable plugged into a wall plate with built in phone/broadband filter.

It's plugged into the "computer" side though ?

Edit: Ah! Get you now. The "phone" label is for the ACTUAL phone.

Doh! And well spotted!

OP - with this in mind (and apologies if my misreading of the socket was misleading earlier) is there a separate LAN socket near the router ?

If so then simply connecting it to the LAN port of the router might do the trick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you need one of these ethernet switches:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00A121WN6/

connect each RJ45 port on the patch panel to a port on the switch and it will connect them all together. Anything plugged into an ethernet port in any of the rooms will be able to talk to the Sky Router then.

An Ethernet cable won't give you an Internet connection though ? The Sky router needs a 'phone line ?

So a single Ethernet cable from the wall to the router won't give you Internet.

Do you have Internet access and are all 3 lights in the front of the Sky router connected ?

PM me if you want and I'll try to make sense of it.
    Full Internet access albeit slow as it's not fibre. This is not an issue on whether or not there's Internet access, it's more concerning limiting the dependence on wifi. Hope it makes sense now.

Appreciate all the replies. I have a broadband/TV subscription with Sky, and when we moved in I was kinda in a hurry to get Internet access due to working from home from time to time. Sky were the only ones who could provide service in the estate we live in, so had the engineer out. He took one look at the hub and immediately dismissed the idea of plugging the Sky modem into it. He said that the modem usually goes in near the TV box due to something about being able to buy films. I never buy/rent films via Sky so asked him to install it upstairs near where my desktop computer is, which he then did. That little 'hump' shown in the photo with the cable sticking out was installed by the engineer. Otherwise the ethernet ports look like shown in the other photo. The ethernet cable goes directly into the modem, and the modem is connected to my desktop computer via cable. Now, all other units are connected via wifi, but because the wifi signal is poor/congested even with the extender I am wondering whether getting a more pro engineer out to see if the a router or something can be plugged into the hub, thereby limiting the need for wifi. I suppose what I really need is a step by step guide on how it should be set up. I'm unsure how this switch can help https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00A121WN6/

Full Internet access albeit slow as it's not fibre. This is not an issue on whether or not there's Internet access, it's more concerning limiting the dependence on wifi. Hope it makes sense now.

Yup - that query was based on me incorrectly thinking the router was plugged into a LAN port; never thought of a wall-mounted filter.

The "you need the router near the Sky box to buy movies" is complete tosh; once it has a connection, that option will work.

You need to check if there are one or more LAN ports near the TV / Sky box / Sky router; if so, then connect the Sky box to that using a LAN / CAT5 cable; the installer may have connected it to the Sky router - if so just plug it out from that and then plug it into the LAN port in the wall.

Also, how many other connections are in different rooms that you will need, as the Sky router should have 4; if you need more then that's why you'd need that Amazon switch.

If 4 is enough (even temporarily) you can move the Sky router into the utility room with your hub and identify the 4 rooms that are connected via the hub, and "pair" those to the 4 on the hub to the 4 on the Sky router with short ("patch") cables.

Just remember that you will also need to find a phone line connection in there, to connect the router's cable that I misidentified earlier to that.

Think of the hub as the "other end" of what's in the wall; if you can get from that to a port on the Sky router, and get the Sky router connected to a phone socket in the utility room, then you're sorted.

If you need more than 4 connections, the switch acts the same as an extension lead/gang socket where you don't have enough plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It really pi55es me off when a house is wired properly for satellite TV and / or structured network cabling (CAT5 / CAT5E / CAT6) and one of these "engineers" shows up and insists on installing their own cabling.

Typically these "engineers" hastily install this cabling to a very low standard. In their aftermath this cabling can be found installed in gutters, flower beds, thrown across rooftops, strewn around door frames and skirting boards and drilled through window frames. I have even seen them clip cables to newly installed hardwood floors.

There is no vaild technical reason to ignore the correct cables that have been professionally installed by an electrician. All that the "engineer" has to do is to test the cables to ensure that they are fit for purpose. This should not be very challenging for someone with the most rudimentary training in this area never mind an "engineer". Frequently electricians have to return to installations to fix up the mess left behind by these people at additional cost to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sky engineer didn't want to stray from a standard install so dismissed the hub set up in your home.
    They usually have the wifi box beside the TV because you might want to hard wire it to the sky box. This is handy for watching sky box sets, TV programmes and movies online through the sky box but not available through the satellite itself.
    None of this helps you set up the hub though

You need to check if there are one or more LAN ports near the TV / Sky box / Sky router; if so, then connect the Sky box to that using a LAN / CAT5 cable; the installer may have connected it to the Sky router - if so just plug it out from that and then plug it into the LAN port in the wall.

Also, how many other connections are in different rooms that you will need, as the Sky router should have 4; if you need more then that's why you'd need that Amazon switch.

If 4 is enough (even temporarily) you can move the Sky router into the utility room with your hub and identify the 4 rooms that are connected via the hub, and "pair" those to the 4 on the hub to the 4 on the Sky router with short ("patch") cables.

Just remember that you will also need to find a phone line connection in there, to connect the router's cable that I misidentified earlier to that.

Think of the hub as the "other end" of what's in the wall; if you can get from that to a port on the Sky router, and get the Sky router connected to a phone socket in the utility room, then you're sorted.

If you need more than 4 connections, the switch acts the same as an extension lead/gang socket where you don't have enough plugs.
    What's the difference between a Sky box and a Sky router? The engineer only put in one router which is also called the Sky box. I take it that is the one to connect to the hub? And then use ethernet cables to all other appliances that need Internet connection - these appliances will be connected to the ethernet ports in the walls.

What's the difference between a Sky box and a Sky router? The engineer only put in one router which is also called the Sky box. I take it that is the one to connect to the hub? And then use ethernet cables to all other appliances that need Internet connection - these appliances will be connected to the ethernet ports in the walls.

Sky Box = the actual satellite receiver with the remote.
    Sky router = the small rectangular / almost cube internet box.

Unless he's installed the new Sky Q box ?

Simplest thing to do is get that router and 8 short patch cables. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002AFOJK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1465220536&sr=1-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=319YEV6E9KL&ref=plSrch

Install the switch next to (or preferably in) the hub in your utility and connect its 8 ethernet ports to the 8 terminals in the hub.

Connect one port on the Sky router (Internet box) to the nearest wall ethernet port, and then all wall points in the house will be connected so the broadband.

Sky Box = the actual satellite receiver with the remote.
    Sky router = the small rectangular / almost cube internet box.

Unless he's installed the new Sky Q box ?
    Ok, got it. Yes, the Sky box is next to a LAN Port but not sure why it needs to be connected to it. Works fine now without being connected.

Simplest thing to do is get that router and 8 short patch cables. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002AFOJK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1465220536&sr=1-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=319YEV6E9KL&ref=plSrch

Install the switch next to (or preferably in) the hub in your utility and connect its 8 ethernet ports to the 8 terminals in the hub.

Connect one port on the Sky router (Internet box) to the nearest wall ethernet port, and then all wall points in the house will be connected so the broadband.
    Thanks, but the nearest ethernet point is too far so it would mean pulling a very long cable through the house which I'd like to avoid.

Thanks, but the nearest ethernet point is too far so it would mean pulling a very long cable through the house which I'd like to avoid.
    Ah. Unfortunately the only way to make use of the ports already in the house is either to bring a cable through the house or move the router.

Actually you could potentially get powerline plugs to bridge the distance between the router and wall port/hub. They can be pricy though and it's not as clean as I'd like.

Ok, got it. Yes, the Sky box is next to a LAN Port but not sure why it needs to be connected to it. Works fine now without being connected.

That would give you the On-Demand and the Movie Renting/Purchasing. Plus Box Sets if you have HD.

If you don't want it, no need to connect.

But for the sake of a cable, it's handy to have the option, and you're already paying for it (the on-demand at least)

• Advertisement

Ah. Unfortunately the only way to make use of the ports already in the house is either to bring a cable through the house or move the router.

Actually you could potentially get powerline plugs to bridge the distance between the router and wall port/hub. They can be pricy though and it's not as clean as I'd like.

€35 or so for the basic Powerline pair if you don't need the socket passthrough.

Advertisement