Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet port in every room

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭matzen

That would give you the On-Demand and the Movie Renting/Purchasing. Plus Box Sets if you have HD.

If you don't want it, no need to connect.

But for the sake of a cable, it's handy to have the option, and you're already paying for it (the on-demand at least)

Makes sense. If I get this up and running I may just do that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭matzen

TheChizler wrote: »
    Ah. Unfortunately the only way to make use of the ports already in the house is either to bring a cable through the house or move the router.

Actually you could potentially get powerline plugs to bridge the distance between the router and wall port/hub. They can be pricy though and it's not as clean as I'd like.
    Already have a pair of TP-Link Easy WiFi Boost plugs as the signal from the Sky router is poor throughout the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

in defence of the sky engineer, they are told to install the modem wherever the filter socket is, which is usually close to where the dropwire from eirs network is coming into the house. Houses with all these ethernet points are almost 90% of the time incorrectly wired in my experience, usually bridge tapped into the line which can cause lower speeds and possible intermittent sync. Any patch panel should be fed from the front of the filter socket to maintain good service. If it is not then it is likely bridge tapped into the phone/broadband line and that is not good practice and can affect service.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hero25

I received a quote of ~600euro to terminate CAT5 and phone cables and then provide, install switch and patch panel.
    as you have the Hardware in place, a call by an IT/Communciations engineer shouldnt work out too expensive.

Advertisement