Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin collection comparisons Maynooth

Options
  • 06-06-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I can't seem to find info yet online of the pay by weight charges for each company. Most seem to still have flat rates published valid to July'16 which is not at all useful. I have an email from thorntons outlining new charges. Could others publish any prices they get from AES / panda etc? The new thorntons prices are simply outrageous given the amount of nappies I have to get rid of!! Would like to know switching alternatives

Thorntons
    €2 per week flat charge
    Domestic bin 35c per kg
    Brown bin 20c per kg
    Recycle bin free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

From AES:

, The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.

·         Waste bin  = 25 cent per KG

·         Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG

·         Organic bin =  15 cent per KG

·         Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG

Not any cheaper sadly, because of 180 annual charge, unless your annual kg is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

Thorntons
    €2 per week

the annual fee is up by over 100%, how can they do this? is that allowed? any gov body that we can complain about it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ugh:(
    It feels like another tax on top of the household charge and water

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

you2008 wrote:
    the annual fee is up by over 100%, how can they do this? is that allowed? any gov body that we can complain about it?

Sure it is Gov/EU rules that are the cause of the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

shoehorn wrote: »
    From AES:

, The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.

·         Waste bin  = 25 cent per KG

·         Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG

·         Organic bin =  15 cent per KG

·         Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG

Not any cheaper sadly, because of 180 annual charge, unless your annual kg is very high.

Was speaking to my Neighbour last night, ( He's with AES ) & we checked AES's website, nothing mentioned about these figures. Mind me asking Your source for these charges Shoehorn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

I emailed them and that was their response

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

you2008 wrote: »
    Thorntons
    €2 per week

At first I just assumed that they meant it would be a €2 charge for the weeks you put your bin out since that seems to be how they are presenting it - otherwise why not just state directly that it's €104 per year? (because people will obviously be angry that their yearly service fee has more than doubled)

I contacted them about it and was unpleasantly surprised to discover that you are charged a weekly service fee even for weeks you do not use their service. The underhand way they are trying to spin this really burns my biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

At first I just assumed that they meant it would be a €2 charge for the weeks you put your bin out since that seems to be how they are presenting it - otherwise why not just state directly that it's €104 per year? (because people will obviously be angry that their yearly service fee has more than doubled)

I contacted them about it and was unpleasantly surprised to discover that you are charged a weekly service fee even for weeks you do not use their service. The underhand way they are trying to spin this really burns my biscuits.
    This was their unhelpful response to me ...

As a Company we are very conscious of rising costs for our customers and due to this over the past five years we have not increased the cost of our service charge since it was first introduced in October 2011.
    The service charge is typically charged to cover vehicles, weighing systems, service crew staff, back office staff, technology and transport costs associated with the collection from the kerbside.
    This service charge ensures that a collection truck passes your home on a regular basis to check if you have left bins out for collection
    With the introduction of the new Legislation we have increased our Service Charge to fall in line with the new pricing structure rather than increasing the pricing later in the year.
    With the new pricing structure rather than seeking an upfront payment of the service charge as in previous years we have decided to spread the cost over the year so the payment is €2.00 per week rather than the €104.00 up front.
    Following on from feedback from our customers and competitors we find that we are very completive with our pricing.
    If you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Household Accounts Department
    Tel: 01 6235133
    Web: http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie
    Unit S3B, Henry Road, Parkwest Business Park, Dublin 12, Registered Number 72366.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

MickH503 wrote: »
    This was their unhelpful response to me ...

As a Company we are very conscious of rising costs for our customers and due to this over the past five years we have not increased the cost of our service charge since it was first introduced in October 2011.
    The service charge is typically charged to cover vehicles, weighing systems, service crew staff, back office staff, technology and transport costs associated with the collection from the kerbside.
    This service charge ensures that a collection truck passes your home on a regular basis to check if you have left bins out for collection
    With the introduction of the new Legislation we have increased our Service Charge to fall in line with the new pricing structure rather than increasing the pricing later in the year.
    With the new pricing structure rather than seeking an upfront payment of the service charge as in previous years we have decided to spread the cost over the year so the payment is €2.00 per week rather than the €104.00 up front.
    Following on from feedback from our customers and competitors we find that we are very completive with our pricing.
    If you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Household Accounts Department
    Tel: 01 6235133
    Web: http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie
    Unit S3B, Henry Road, Parkwest Business Park, Dublin 12, Registered Number 72366.

can not they just admit it is over 100% increase?

They are really making untold work for themselves. If I have an empty match box in my bin, it'll be left out for them.

2 can play at their game!

• Advertisement

you2008 wrote: »
    can not they just admit it is over 100% increase?

I challenged them via email on this, and their retort was 'oh but we haven't put up our standing charge for 5 years'.

Personally, I'm just over a year with them ( and TBH, their service up to now was top notch ), so this 5 year rubbish doesn't wash with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are really making untold work for themselves. If I have an empty match box in my bin, it'll be left out for them.

2 can play at their game!

They would likely prefer that, as the routes are going to take a lot of time to drive regardless and a bad week where everyone leaves out a full bin after a while of no bins would mean they'd need to go empty the truck and come back.

I used the old Thorntons banded pay by weight and was always in the lowest category; I'm going to save about 50 quid a year now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We used to do pay by weight with Thorntons but their customer service is so bad we left them.
    We have 4 kids so I am going to have to look in to each companies charges in great detail:((

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We used to do pay by weight with Thorntons but their customer service is so bad we left them.

Compared to AES they're a dream!

Mahons are Panda now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

L1011 wrote: »
    They would likely prefer that, as the routes are going to take a lot of time to drive regardless and a bad week where everyone leaves out a full bin after a while of no bins would mean they'd need to go empty the truck and come back.

I used the old Thorntons banded pay by weight and was always in the lowest category; I'm going to save about 50 quid a year now.

Not sure what way it will work out regarding total weights but if everyone puts the bin out it will slow us down a lot.

guil wrote: »
    Not sure what way it will work out regarding total weights but if everyone puts the bin out it will slow us down a lot.

I have sympathy for the collectors doing the rounds, but Guil, surely You must admit that the companies policies are only encouraging this practice?

And by doing this encourages longer hours resulting in OT, more green house emisions as the truck will be working longer. I am sure there are more negatives by doign this but there are 2 to highlight the folly of this AK47 mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

I have sympathy for the collectors doing the rounds, but Guil, surely You must admit that the companies policies are only encouraging this practice?

And by doing this encourages longer hours resulting in OT, more green house emisions as the truck will be working longer. I am sure there are more negatives by doign this but there are 2 to highlight the folly of this AK47 mission.

I agree there is no incentive now to not put all bins out for every collection. That and the fact that we won't be allowed to work inside a 60km zone before 6am after July 1st is going to make the days much longer. People complain we are in estates too early, now they will be complaining about the truck in late in the evening with kids running around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

It is an incredibly steep jump by Thorntons, and sneaky how they're phrasing it to disguise the hike. Even if they haven't increased charges in 5 years doesn't justify more than doubling them now. Even a €1 a week service charge would have been a 4% increase.

And yep I can see black bun going out more often now. Previously we'd have put it out once a month, often debating could we make it the extra 2 weeks to next collection to save in lift. Now, sure there's no savings, it'll all end up being charged the same anyway, might as well stick it out every lift.

They are using the confusion of the new pay by weight Govt decree to hike charges in the hope the Govt get the blame. So what's the response people - email Durkan, Murphy, Lawless and O'Rourke? Organise every bin out by everyone? There really doesn't seem to be much of a difference between AES and Thorntons, so mass customer movement isn't that viable but us there another alternative - bring and depose sites?

I am confused are the bins going to be collected weekly now?

I am confused are the bins going to be collected weekly now?

No it will still be every fortnight.

But you'll pay weekly.

Govt is stepping in sort of; and warning the bun companies that all these rises will not be tolerated since their new rules were price neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Well you'll have general/compost collected one week and recycling the other.

Yes, with Thorntons anyway, think AES the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

Patser wrote: »
    But you'll pay weekly.

Govt is stepping in sort of; and warning the bun companies that all these rises will not be tolerated since their new rules were price neutral.

*Maybe* the companies will be forced to change ... http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-warns-bin-companies-over-costs-1.2687280?utm_medium=email&utm_source=lunchtime_digest&utm_campaign=news_digest

Patser wrote: »
    Yes, with Thorntons anyway, think AES the same.

Depends on the area. Most places in Kildare the recycling is done with the organic. In a handful of places it's done with the waste. This is for Aes btw.

ugh I worked out on average we put out 65kg in our waste bin every month. So based on that 180 + 195 = 375, we paid 294 for 2015:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

What exactly does a warning do? The collection companies aren't going to voluntarily back down. The government hasn't done anything actionable about the huge hike in insurance premiums, so I'm not sure what effect a "warning" will really have. I don't know how they couldn't have predicted this would happen or why people writing these laws don't learn from previous experience (I suppose they more cynical outlook is that they know exactly the effect it will have and have a secondary gain).

It's like how they changed the PRSA rules to cap the maximum contribution fees at 5% and the annual fee at 1%. Rather than becoming the maximum fee, everyone increased their fees until that is now the default and there is little competition or difference between providers any more.

The councils can't be happy with this as they should consider how much they spend on illegal dumping now since this certainly isn't going to help the situation. This isn't how you encourage people to recycle or to waste less. At least now the made up statistics about how most people will see lower bills have been dropped. Given that it's now summer holidays and also Brexit is up in the air, I doubt the government will really make this a priority or do anything more than issue "warnings".

Advertisement