Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Ferris B wrote: »
    All makes it a bit confusing if you're dependent on pacers and colour blind!

As with all pacers though, I use them with a health warning and would not enter a race and be totally reliant on them. In saying that I seem to recall I followed a certain robinph in my first ever marathon in dublin in 2011 (3:45?) and I think he did ok.:)

Yeah pacers in Dublin are usually top notch :). I wasn't following a pacer myself on the day but do remember been passed or passing pacers that definitely weren't on target pace. Maybe it's much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I took part last year and I felt the pacers are nowhere near as good as the Dublin ones.

The merge of the routes after 5k (just after the roundabout) was a nightmare. I was in a group right behind our pacer on the racing line and at the merge got cut up by a blue and green pacer , both coming straight across our group, splitting around 20-30 of us off our pace group.

These two groups were pacing for a much slower race, which meant we had to try get around their groups and catch up with our original group. It took us nearly two miles to get back on. So be very careful at that stage just in case it happens again.

Enjoy the race. It will be watching on the telly this year for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you are on the Red start then at the point where the courses run alongside each other the people about 150m ahead on the right hand side are the ones you'll get dumped into the middle of. If you spot a big group of people just in front then the downhill there could be a chance to just up the pace a tiny bit to sneak in front.

When the course merges everyone will be going in odd directions for a bit as they take what they think is the shortest route, which is not the blue line at that point. You also have to watch out for the kerb in the middle of the road if you are in a big bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Hi all, has everyone got the race pack yet? I am a first time entrant but still haven't received mine yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mattym wrote: »
    Hi all, has everyone got the race pack yet? I am a first time entrant but still haven't received mine yet.
    How did you enter?

You should have received something by now, either through the post or by email. Give them a call and ask for them to email the registration form to you. I'd posted the link to the important information pdf and phone number a couple of pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Forecast 23c here on Sunday - sweet baby jebus don't let it be that warm on the 23rd!

(just in case, I'm planning to do around 20km in it to get a feel for warm weather running)

:eek:

Keep the clear skys and no wind, but more like 10c would be great thanks weather fairys.

Just found out that I've got a free pass to run without the buggy tomorrow at parkrun, so have set myself a challenge of running my fastest on the course since before I was buggy pushing, or I'll have to run an extra 8 miles and then chase the kid through a soft play area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That'd be lovely, I can work on my suntan while sightseeing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

not long now guys, I ran a pb in a half on good Friday and pb'd again on Saturday in the local parkrun, thats it now until Sunday, as ready now as I ever will be

Had a good 10km today and my first time sub 37 in a while. Feeling a bit happier about things for the weekend now and will be going for 2:59.

• Advertisement

The weather is currently predicted to be cloudy, 13degrees and a light wind. I'll take that.

robinph wrote: »
    The weather is currently predicted to be cloudy, 13degrees and a light wind. I'll take that.

Yep it's looking perfect. I love marathon week, really buzzing for this one.

Sunny and chilly here today and it's forecast to be like that for most of the week. Aww yeah. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Guys, apologies if I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here given that London 2017 hasn't happened yet but I'm wondering how the GFA thing works. I know that it's UK residents only but I can provide a UK address for entry purposes but is it true that they ask for proof of residence?, how does somebody get around that. I have a GFA from Dublin 2016, have about 20 minutes spare for my age. Would really like to have a go in London 2018. Boston is probably too hot/expensive for me. Any advice is most welcome.

Guys, apologies if I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here given that London 2017 hasn't happened yet but I'm wondering how the GFA thing works. I know that it's UK residents only but I can provide a UK address for entry purposes but is it true that they ask for proof of residence?, how does somebody get around that. I have a GFA from Dublin 2016, have about 20 minutes spare for my age. Would really like to have a go in London 2018. Boston is probably too hot/expensive for me. Any advice is most welcome.

There's no photo way shop of getting around it. It's for genuine people photo that reside shop in the U.K.
    That's how most manage to enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

AAD wrote: »
    I took part last year and I felt the pacers are nowhere near as good as the Dublin ones.

The merge of the routes after 5k (just after the roundabout) was a nightmare. I was in a group right behind our pacer on the racing line and at the merge got cut up by a blue and green pacer , both coming straight across our group, splitting around 20-30 of us off our pace group.

These two groups were pacing for a much slower race, which meant we had to try get around their groups and catch up with our original group. It took us nearly two miles to get back on. So be very careful at that stage just in case it happens again.

Enjoy the race. It will be watching on the telly this year for me.

Can I just ask in what way the pacers weren't as good? This will be my first London marathon. Dublin pacers were great last year (unfortunately I faded so didn't finish with them) and I was planning to follow the RW pacers in London. I'm also toying with the idea of just running my own race. Aiming for 3:50, but I see there are pacers for 3:56 or 3:45. That 5 minute difference scares the hell out of me (taper madness?).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

kin9pin wrote: »
    Can I just ask in what way the pacers weren't as good? This will be my first London marathon. Dublin pacers were great last year (unfortunately I faded so didn't finish with them) and I was planning to follow the RW pacers in London. I'm also toying with the idea of just running my own race. Aiming for 3:50, but I see there are pacers for 3:56 or 3:45. That 5 minute difference scares the hell out of me (taper madness?).

Obviously I can only speak for the pacers I was running with but, there was very little communication (unlike Dublin) and because of this nobody was really aware of the chance of other pacers crossing us. They also didn't inform us that they would be trying to bag time in the first six miles or so, which lead to a lot of people dropping off around 15-16 miles.

No reason for the pacers in London to be trying to bag time in the first 6 miles. The first 3 are fast and tricky to hold back on, but the pacers should be still sticking to the exact pace for that bit especially.

If you are capable of that time then you'll likely find yourself 30 seconds ahead of the pacers early on through 5km, but the pacers job should be to hold the exact pace. No need for trying to get ahead of time in London, the only hill is a downhill in the first three miles and nothing else you need to save time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

tbh London is really expensive. A hotel for 3 nights will be 500 pounds plus. I went with my wife in 2015 and with childcare we spent 2k for the 3 days (exchange rate was crazy bad at the time like 1.5 to 1). Its a really expensive city even though the race is very cheap. I had a place for this year and didnt feel was in PB shape so I am not going as its too much to pay. Rotherdam is much much cheaper. The flight may be cheap but the train from Stanstead is expensive.

Boston has about 6k international runners and I would be interested on how much people spent to do it.

I had flights booked but family feel through as they were going to mind the kids this year and we were going to stay in their place in London. Its just very expensive and I am not interested in staying in the middle of nowhere or in a hostel or similar.

rom wrote: »
    tbh London is really expensive. A hotel for 3 nights will be 500 pounds plus. I went with my wife in 2015 and with childcare we spent 2k for the 3 days (exchange rate was crazy bad at the time like 1.5 to 1). Its a really expensive city even though the race is very cheap. I had a place for this year and didnt feel was in PB shape so I am not going as its too much to pay. Rotherdam is much much cheaper. The flight may be cheap but the train from Stanstead is expensive.

Boston has about 6k international runners and I would be interested on how much people spent to do it.

I had flights booked but family feel through as they were going to mind the kids this year and we were going to stay in their place in London. Its just very expensive and I am not interested in staying in the middle of nowhere or in a hostel or similar.

THanks Rom, accommodation is not a problem, have a brother in London. My only concern is that as I would be entering as a GFA I believe that they look for proof of address. Address is not a problem, the proof would be. Any way around this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

THanks Rom, accommodation is not a problem, have a brother in London. My only concern is that as I would be entering as a GFA I believe that they look for proof of address. Address is not a problem, the proof would be. Any way around this?

Previous years they have just needed a scan of a utility bill or something link that showing your name.

Previous years they have just needed a scan of a utility bill or something link that showing your name.

UK utility bill wouldn't be in my name, that's the problem. !!

UK utility bill wouldn't be in my name, that's the problem. !!

Read between the lines of my previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Did you get my pm GC?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

While trying not to hijack this is something I'll be looking at myself and I suppose the simple question is do I need a utility bill or will any invoice to the address do? I.e. Order something online and have it's shipped to the address in my name.

Thanks.

And best of luck to everyone for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

I used a scan of a council tax bill with my name on it last year.

Most likely heading to the expo this afternoon. Working from home today as my 1 year old is sick and will finish up a bit early.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

What's the story with post race beers? I believe the Coal Hole is the customary choice for Boards runners and groupies.

• Advertisement

Post marathon The Coal Hole works for me, although I'll probably actually be across the road in The Strand Palace hotel bar as whilst I could have a pint with a sleepy 11 month old strapped to me OK last year a 23 month old isn't going to be so easy in a crowded pub. I'll make an appearance in The Coal Hole though, if nothing else I'm sure brianderunner will have made a bet with me about running some time last year and he'll owe me a pint. :D

Pre marathon, incase anyone missed the previous post, I'll be parkrunning at Southwark on the Saturday. I'll be in the apricot Little Stoke top pushing a buggy.

Advertisement