Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair ban

Options
  • 06-06-2016 12:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

I have been banned from the politics forum, this is nothing more than political bias, the mod involved is an ardent pro European and seems to struggle to not let this bias show in moding decisions. My post broke no rules, it was certainly satirical in nature but post of that type are made on a daily basis and there is no rule against said style of post, in fact it's not unusual for mods themselves to post in that manner, If you can forum ban me for it now, and I provide evidence if other users using the same posting style, including mods will they also face bans? Or is it just me?

Again I suggest that having the political forum moderated exclusively by people who all share the same political outlook i.e left wing/pro Europe is a mistake and will ultimately lead to bias.

Here follows our discussion.

Dear gallag,

You have been permanently banned from Politics for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

ancapailldorcha

Moderator Note

As you were previously banned from International Politics and show little chance of improving, I am carrying over your ban to this new forum as well.

Your post:Quote: gallagQuote: Scofflaw

If the latter, then the UK could hold another referendum once the withdrawal agreement has been largely finalised, but before the transitional period expires. Such a referendum would make democratic sense, because it would be clear what the alternatives were, which at this stage is not the case - it would be a much more informed decision than the one currently being made.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yeah! And if the plebs voted the wrong way again we could just have yet another! Perhaps each time reducing the funding for the out camp and increasing the stay camps budget! Perhaps more massive leaflet drops paid out of the government coffers before any parlay and watch the private funding to the leave campaign be depleted! Just increase the fear and bombard with PR..... This can not be stopped comrade, they are to stupid to understand..... they should thank us.......

All hail the EU!
    All hail the EU!

My reply.

My post was in no way offencive or against any rules, I suggest your bias is not allowing you to judge this in an impartial way, my post was done in a ironic/satirical fashion to highlight the undemocratic suggestion that the UK should vote again if they voted the "wrong" way in the upcoming election. I ask for my post to be reinstated, an apology and to obviously be unbanned, unless of course you, and all mods are going to start banning all users who make a post in the same fashion and update the charter to reflect this new rule, as let's face it, at a daily level that style of post is common.

His reply

I explained in the note why you were banned. You're well aware of how this forum works. You were technically unbanned and you went ahead and posted in the same manner regardless.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hi Gallag,

You were banned from International politics in January this year and subsequently appealed it here:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98445585#post98445585

International was merged into politics last week and obviously previous bans from subforums carry over.

Posting in the same manner as you have done previously was always going to end up with the same result I'm afraid.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

K-9 wrote: »
    Hi Gallag,

You were banned from International politics in January this year and subsequently appealed it here:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98445585#post98445585

International was merged into politics last week and obviously previous bans from subforums carry over.

Posting in the same manner as you have done previously was always going to end up with the same result I'm afraid.

To be fair that first ban from international politics was even more ridiculous than this one, I got banned for saying this......

"Seems to me the common denominator in much of the rape and terror spreading over Europe at the minute is Islam."

Note I did not blame muslims on a personal level but instead simply said that at the time and in the context of the debate i.e new years eve sex attacks and the various others committed by the refugee crises that Islam was the common denominator, which of course was fact! as I said in my appeal would I have got banned for saying "seems the common denominator in the bad treatment of single young mothers in ireland over the last few centuries was catholicism" No. Ridiculous.

In fact I fell you have enhanced my point about mod bias by posting my original ban appeal, you yourself are a fully paid up member of the lefty/anti right wing opinion/pro EU clan, can you be impartial here?

Anyway, I was unbanned from the politics forum, as yous have admitted by suggesting that my posting style was the only reason for this recent ban so I would appreciate a fair assessment of if it was right to ban me from the new politics forum for the post I made, it either was a ban worthy post or not.

You already had a lengthy appeal in the thread I linked to, there is no point going over that again as it was decided on by an admin. Obviously you don't have to accept that decision, but that does not change the outcome.

As the ban is carried over from International I'd suggest lifting the ban but you not posting in International politics related threads, that way you still retain access to the new merged forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You already had a lengthy appeal in the thread I linked to, there is no point going over that again as it was decided on by an admin. Obviously you don't have to accept that decision, but that does not change the outcome.

As the ban is carried over from International I'd suggest lifting the ban but you not posting in International politics related threads, that way you still retain access to the new merged forum.

Don't indian give being unbanned, ancapailldorcha and yourself have made it clear I could have remained unbanned but am now being rebanned due to my single post, you said

"Posting in the same manner as you have done previously was always going to end up with the same result I'm afraid."

If I have been banned for that post then to be fair I expect to be judged on that post, to be clear, I am appealing my ban received by ancapailldorcha for my post that I absolutely maintain did not break any rules or even the spirit of the rules, mods and users alike post in a satirical fashion every day on this on other forums, I expect to be treated in a fair manner.

So far in this appeal process not one reply has addressed if the post I have been banned for was indeed worthy of sanction!

It really is as simple as this, if you feel the post I made was worthy of a ban then defend the hypocrisy, update the charter to reflect the ban on satirical posts and retrospectively ban the other mods and users who have posted as such, if you believe that if I was any other user ancapailldorcha would not have sanctioned that post then retract the ban, reinstate my post and I'd suggest look into why such a obviously wrong decision was made.

Thanks

The problem isn't one post gallag, same as your International politics ban wasn't for one post, permabans never are unless they are spammers or trolls.
    It's all a nonsense, amazingly the "pro federalists for peace" side conveniently ignore the simple bloody obvious fact that peace in Europe has never been threatened by countries simply maintaining good relations and trade agreements, peace in Europe has only ever been diminished by nutcases that push for a closer, single Europe.
    I'll be voting out!
    You can be dismissive of the fact all you want, yes you can stick you fingers in your ears and shout "Godwin" but the simple fact is that every time someone has tried to "unite" Europe has lead to war, I just think it's funny how people today with the benefit of hindsight still hold on to the mantra "united Europe for peace"

That isn't debate Gallag, that is dismissive soap boxing, add your post in the op and there's a pattern to your 3 posts which is your contribution to the new forum.

The problem for me is I don't see any acceptance or recognition whatsoever from you that maybe part of the problem here might be your style of posting. So if I lift the ban there's nothing telling me that we aren't just going to be back here again in a weeks time going over the same ground, which is wasting everybody's time including your own.

• Advertisement

The problem isn't one post gallag, same as your International politics ban wasn't for one post, permabans never are unless they are spammers or trolls.

That isn't debate Gallag, that is dismissive soap boxing, add your post in the op and there's a pattern to your 3 posts which is your contribution to the new forum.

The problem for me is I don't see any acceptance or recognition whatsoever from you that maybe part of the problem here might be your style of posting. So if I lift the ban there's nothing telling me that we aren't just going to be back here again in a weeks time going over the same ground, which is wasting everybody's time including your own.

So are we really not going to discuss the post that I was banned for? Instead linking two more posts that absolutely broke no rule or again the spirit of the rule, let's face it, to you and the entire mod team in politics any anti-EU post is going to be labelled as dismissive soapboxing, and as to the problem here being my posting style let me make it very clear, I believe the EU to be a threat to the security and prosperity of my country and my posts will reflect this, mabey you need to accept in a political forum you will have to face differing opinions?

I shall not be begging or agreeing to change my posting style, if you want to take any of the now three posts that have earned me a ban and quote the sentence or word that has resulted in my ban then please do so, non of them posts were even close to breaking any rules, feel free to explain how any of them posts warranted a ban? To be honest dragging my post about peace in Europe being usually harmed by people trying to unite it as some sort of ban worthy post is a new low.

Yous have got this very wrong, as per the feedback thread and the overwhelming majority of forum members who recognise a major moderation problem on boards perhaps yous should look right here for an example of why boards is dieing! Be honest here, will every single moderator in the politics forum having an ardent pro EU outlook be conducive to healthy, non biased debate? That's all I want, this is a good opportunity for yous to show that your sole intrest is not a closed talking shop of mono opinion. Can you explan to me how it's even possible for the politics mod team to have so little diversity in their political outlook? Perhaps looking how the football mod team managed not to be compromised solely of man UTD fans would be helpful?

I suppose now the problem is yous are now entrenched, it's obvious to all reading this that I have not made any ban worthy posts, not even flirting with ban worthy but I see the ranks closing and now for me to have a successful appeal it would involve an admission that you not only got this very wrong but also acknowledgement that there are severe problems with moderation in the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Poster sitebanned for not heeding previous warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement