Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a fitness tracker for my needs please help

Options
  • 06-06-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have looked into this at length so I'm not being lazy - but just want to do a last minute check here before I buy.

I'm not an athlete and won't ever be running marathons, but I'm fairly fit - run/walk/circuit train 6 days a week.

Up until now have been using MAP MY WALK/RUN and to be honest, does me fine. I'm getting rid of my smart phone when contract ends however, so looking for a replacement for MMW.

I have narrowed it down to two products:

1. Garmin Forerunner 410 without heart monitor. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-410-GPS-Sportswatch/dp/B0046BWRUK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=516vZJbkezL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=4J7ST628VVEHMT9E8X9Y)

2. Garmin Vivofit 2 without heart monitor. (http://www.harveynorman.ie/connected-health/activity-trackers-en/garmin-vivofit-2-activity-tracker.html)

They are both coming in at same price because the Forerunner is a second hand one on Adverts.ie, so price not the issue.

I'm leaning towards the Vivofit 2 at the moment. Reasons why:
    • Forerunner batteries seem expensive to replace
    • Forerunner seems to be awkward re: charging and switching off from reviews I've seen
    • The outer rim of Forerunner seems to be tricky to use when wet, with users citin sweat as enough to make it tricky to work with
    • I'm not sure if Adverts.ie is the place to buy something like this in case there are any problems.
    • While Vivifit 2 is prob not the most amazing watch on the market it will definitely be at least a step-up from MAP MY WALK
    • Batteries only need to be changed once a year and are standard CR1632 replaceable coin cell batteries which are handy enough and cheap enough to source.

Worried I am missing something major though. Am I totally wrong or does it sound like I am making the right choice for myself?

Thanks for reading!!

Advertisement