Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano 6800 cassette problem with Mavic wheel

Options
  • 06-06-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone has come across this issue before.

I recently purchased a set of Ksyrium Mavic wheels with a Shimano hub.

The plan was to attach a Shimano 6800 11 speed (11/32) cassette.

The problem is that the cassette is rattling laterally on the hub and sounds like a bag of bones out on the road. Mavic supply a spacer with their wheels which they say is for use with a 10 speed cassette only. I have tried using the spacer but can't attach the lock ring when it is in place. I have put a thinner spacer on but the cassette still rattles with a lot of lateral movement.

I have Mavics on another bike with a 6800 11 speed cassette with no spacer and no problems - the cassette is rock solid.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wonder if anyone has come across this issue before.

I recently purchased a set of Ksyrium Mavic wheels with a Shimano hub.

The plan was to attach a Shimano 6800 11 speed (11/32) cassette.

The problem is that the cassette is rattling laterally on the hub and sounds like a bag of bones out on the road. Mavic supply a spacer with their wheels which they say is for use with a 10 speed cassette only. I have tried using the spacer but can't attach the lock ring when it is in place. I have put a thinner spacer on but the cassette still rattles with a lot of lateral movement.

I have Mavics on another bike with a 6800 11 speed cassette with no spacer and no problems - the cassette is rock solid.

Any thoughts?

I have a set of Ksyrium with a 6800 cassette on them (11/28) with no spacer or issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

If you swap Cassettes does the issue move to the older Wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

No the cassette was perfect on the original Mavics that came on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are you sure you have all the spacers between the cogs the one you think is a spacer for the cassette might be one of the cog spacers. I doubt they would supply a spacer when one isnt required and theres no 12 yet. Also try tighten up the lock ring more. Had a similar issue myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Are you sure you have all the spacers between the cogs the one you think is a spacer for the cassette might be one of the cog spacers. I doubt they would supply a spacer when one isnt required and theres no 12 yet. Also try tighten up the lock ring more. Had a similar issue myself.

Yep - all spacers properly in place. I am beginning to wonder if I have to messed up the lock ring by over tightening it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yep - all spacers properly in place. I am beginning to wonder if I have to messed up the lock ring by over tightening it.

Possibly cross threaded it but it's difficult to over tighten them .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have you checked the hub for movement before installing the cassette - i.e. is the problem actually with the cassette....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Check the rim of the hub, i broke one by overtightening the lockring, lockring then tightened but was crooked and cassette rattled

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Also worth checking the last smallest ring sits properly and didn't turn during installation. In that case, the lockring will only tighten the smallest ring.

Advertisement