Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To keep or to convert?

Options
  • 06-06-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

This old heater is absolutely manky and even three minutes of use will stink the room out. Although I could get a new element for around EUR 10, I find it hard to believe it will be as efficient or pleasant as the portable oil column heater I already own.

So my questions are, if I remove it from the wall - am I dealing with mains voltage and will it only be available at night? And if I were to keep it - how good are those elements at heating a room in winter?

photo_2016-06-06_16-39-08.jpg

photo_2016-06-06_16-39-11.jpg

photo_2016-06-06_16-39-15.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TBH, you are using an inefficient method of heating in both cases. A new heater will be pretty much the same if you go for an electrical heater, the oil heater will hold the heat better from the electrical element, this suits rooms with poor insulation.
    You can get wall mounted panel heaters with oil columns they are a step up from basic panel heaters.

Panel heaters are not usually on night rate circuits as they are usually boost heat and can be used mainly when needed. Storage heaters "charge" at night on cheaper rates. But panel heaters hold no heat.

You will be dealing with mains electricity and the work should be carried out by a registered electrical contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks Stoner. I thought it was a storage heater but couldn't see how something so basic could 'store' the heat. The LCD display did stay on when I knocked off the fuse box but perhaps it has it's own battery.

I think I'll have the power cable detached and wired into a socket since when I leave the apartment I'll have to restore the existing unit. I'm an electronic engineer, but not an electrician so I will indeed be getting an electrician to carry out the work as I don't have the tools required.

Advertisement