Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dissolve wood

Options
  • 06-06-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have a problem with a root and also with the available space I have. Because of the space constraint I cannot dig it out.
    So I want to know if there is a solution out there where I could effectively dissolve the wood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I have a problem with a root and also with the available space I have. Because of the space constraint I cannot dig it out.
    So I want to know if there is a solution out there where I could effectively dissolve the wood.

Only time will rot wood, but if the root is still alive and in risk of resprouting it will need to be killed. What was/is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bobby lingen

lk67 wrote: »
    Only time will rot wood, but if the root is still alive and in risk of resprouting it will need to be killed. What was/is it?

I have no idea what it was (it is something between a tree and a bush). I cannot burn it either because it is between my boundary wall and the neighbours wooden fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I have no idea what it was (it is something between a tree and a bush). I cannot burn it either because it is between my boundary wall and the neighbours wooden fence.

Without knowing what it was it's difficult to know whether it will die away naturally or will try to resprout and needs treatment...

Garden centres sell root killing chemicals. These won't rot the stump but will stop it resprouting.

As I say, it's a matter of waiting after that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If you're *very* patient, you could let mushrooms do the do over a few years... You can get kits you drill into wood and let them grow for harvesting for eating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If you post a picture of the offending root we could perhaps give better advice. is it your tree/bush?

Also to bare in mind that damaging the root could kill the tree/bush, and depending on the size of the tree/bush that may not be a good idea, it may be better to remove the tree/bush.

If it is just the root left in the ground then try axing it to bits, or use a mattock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 bobby lingen

Oldtree wrote: »
    If you post a picture of the offending root we could perhaps give better advice. is it your tree/bush?

Also to bare in mind that damaging the root could kill the tree/bush, and depending on the size of the tree/bush that may not be a good idea, it may be better to remove the tree/bush.

If it is just the root left in the ground then try axing it to bits, or use a mattock

Excuse my ignorance but I do not know how to upload a pic on boards. Anyway, I have hacked away at it with an Axe, Sledge Hammer, Hatchet, Saw and whatever other implement I could find. I am now down to the mother root and if I can get this out I should be sorted.

Advertisement