Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water being sold in chicken!!!!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thing that pisses me off is how hard it is for small producers to sell stuff,I used to get the finest free range chicken off a lady who used to breed her own and sell from her small farm,all free range and corn fed the nicest chicken you could have,ring on a Wednesday and collect on Friday or Saturday..the Health board but so many restrictions on her selling from home she had to give it up yet they have no problem with the big companies pumping all sorts of crap into meat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In fairness, the same restrictions are put on the larger manufacturers too. And as much as I try to avoid it, there was nothing stopping her putting the same stuff in her chicken either. The stuff is deemed fit for human consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In fairness, the same restrictions are put on the larger manufacturers too. And as much as I try to avoid it, there was nothing stopping her putting the same stuff in her chicken either. The stuff is deemed fit for human consumption.
    I know that,but she only killed 9 or 10 chickens a week so not worth her while spending the thousands it would have taken to do what the health board wanted..as you said there is nothing added to any food production that might kill us..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Reminds me of that YouTube video "Our Daily Bread"
    The stupid look on those cows' faces just before they get zapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not going to make any claims about where my local butchers chicken comes from (as far as I know, it comes as fillets - not butchered on site), but it is much better value than any of the supermarkets whether you go by weight or number of fillets for the money and tastes better. Also, if you want it sliced or diced they'll do that for you too!

We do find Aldi the best of the supermarket bunch for quality/ value for money of the supermarkets, but only certain things they're really cheaper than the butcher.

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    I know that,but she only killed 9 or 10 chickens a week so not worth her while spending the thousands it would have taken to do what the health board wanted..as you said there is nothing added to any food production that might kill us..

It's hard to know really, as much as I like the idea of a small homestead selling their produce, I'd like to know they're implementing and following all the required food safety guidelines, especially when it comes to raw chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Enjoy OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I'm more concerned about the denatured protein they add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Deemed fit by who? Do you have any idea how much rubbish people eat every day that is "deemed fit"?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭regi3457

Enjoy OP!

that is just sick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Again and again people believe the hysterical sh1te written by second rate journalists who want nothing but a wild headline.

Take the best free range chicken you can get. It will have 70% water content - Naturally!

Very little fresh chicken has water added. Far easier to bulk it up in the growth process by feeding it food that retains moisture.

Have a look in the pet aisle - You'll see dehydrated chicken strips as dog treats. 99% chicken, no water. But just won't taste well :)

As usual a large number of anti supermarket whiners whining with zero knowledge about the subject.

armabelle wrote: »
    Deemed fit by who? Do you have any idea how much rubbish people eat every day that is "deemed fit"?

I'm married to a food scientist who has worked from labs to factory floors, so probably a better idea than most.

I'm married to a food scientist who has worked from labs to factory floors, so probably a better idea than most.

scientist shmientist, look at how fat people are. Food scientists probably say coca cola is ok to drink too and look where that got us. Food sciencists only serve companies to get their food products more addictive rather than to protect the public and when they do benefit the publics health the food companies come in with big swinging paychecks. There is more funding in making public eat food as opposed to protecting it.

VincePP wrote: »
    Again and again people believe the hysterical sh1te written by second rate journalists who want nothing but a wild headline.

Take the best free range chicken you can get. It will have 70% water content - Naturally!

Very little fresh chicken has water added. Far easier to bulk it up in the growth process by feeding it food that retains moisture.

Have a look in the pet aisle - You'll see dehydrated chicken strips as dog treats. 99% chicken, no water. But just won't taste well :)

As usual a large number of anti supermarket whiners whining with zero knowledge about the subject.

it is not the same, meat has moisture naturally but adding water as in those videos (which tesco has agreed to doing) is sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

One thing I like about supermarkets is they are forced to label meat correctly with a point of origin whereas I suspect a lot of what butchers are selling not distinctly labelled and is often imported.. I think butchers with meat from the farm down the road are few and far between nowadays!

The 10 fillets for a tenner sold in many butchers are usually imported. Often Dutch I believe?

regi3457 wrote: »
    it is not the same, meat has moisture naturally but adding water as in those videos (which tesco has agreed to doing) is sick

In cheap FROZEN chicken. And its not tesco, it's the processors and ALL frozen chicken has added water - just some have more. ( cheapest)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 10 fillets for a tenner sold in many butchers are usually imported. Often Dutch I believe?

Try Thai or Brazilian.
    scientist shmientist, look at how fat people are. Food scientists probably say coca cola is ok to drink too and look where that got us. Food sciencists only serve companies to get their food products more addictive rather than to protect the public and when they do benefit the publics health the food companies come in with big swinging paychecks. There is more funding in making public eat food as opposed to protecting it.

No, they don't - they would say that Coca Cola is acceptable only in moderation and many would raise questions about the potential side effects of sweeteners in the Diet and Zero versions.

Most of the problems in diets these days come from the absolute nonsense pushed out by untrained "nutritionists" etc pushing their latest money making scheme, not actual food science. Also, the pay is pretty poor, not "big swinging paychecks" whatever those are.

If you actual believe what you wrote there, I really pity you.

So much nonsense in such a short paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaRGRhbscNc

Done for beef and pork too, and not by a guy holding a syringe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Let's be honest, Tesco have added far worse things to meat than water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It does not make chicken succulent. Do you seriously buy into that?
    Why the hell do you think chefs do it so. You will find numerous threads in the cooking forum about brining poultry.

I do think the primary reason is to add weight, and to make it more stable for freezing (again YOUR link solely talked about frozen chicken). But yes I do think it could make it more moist too -though I have seen that tested on some cooking forums, but still lots of chefs do it, and lots of posters on this site swear by it
    Graham wrote: »
    Fairly big difference between brining meat and bulking up the weight with water.
    GHOST MGG wrote: »
    There is a massive difference to injecting chicken or any meat with water to bulk out its selling weight than brining it in a salt,sugar and water solution
    oh please, I am sick of seeing this utter nonsense, comes up in so many threads, it's pathetic. Please explain how there is a "fairly big" or "massive" difference. I expect most chefs, food scientists, food critics would be hard pushed to tell the difference between the same chicken fillet brined by a chef or brined (or whatever you choose to call the process) by a producer.

I have never seen any claim that they inject/soak/tumble in solely water, if that is the utter nonsense you are getting at. Why would they use solely water and not brine. There would be anti bacterial benefits to brining too. Even if they did use simply water I do not see how anyone in their right mind could call it a "massive difference", sad laughable hyperbole.

Virtanen wrote: »
    Let's be honest, Tesco have added far worse things to meat than water

They haven't, they're not food producers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why would they use solely water and not brine.

I'd imagine one wouldn't inject brine as one would end up with a fillet of chicken that tasted of nothing but salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'd imagine one wouldn't inject brine as one would end up with a fillet of chicken that tasted of nothing but salt.

That is in fact what you wind up with. You literally can't buy a supermarket chicken in the US without it having been "enhanced". I almost stopped eating chicken altogether over there because the chicken was waterlogged and utterly tasteless and I wasn't going to be ripped off paying for chicken that wasn't brined (it cost more than double).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Can't wait till you find out about bacon. Yeah that white crap that comes out when you cook is a chemical used to hold the water in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have to laugh at this infallibility of the "local butchers", as if they're not capable of misleading or deceiving customers.

madalig12 wrote: »
    Can't wait till you find out about bacon. Yeah that white crap that comes out when you cook is a chemical used to hold the water in it.

And then processed sliced ham! - We'll turn them all vegetarian. Then start on gm vegetables, insecticides and more.

Starvation is the only option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

L1011 wrote: »
    Try Thai or Brazilian.

I understand pretty much all of processed chicken is from either one of the above but are butchers selling "fresh" raw chicken breasts from Thailand?

That's even more nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Gave up buying my chicken from butchers due to when cooking the fillets they ended up half the size so went to lidl & now buy the free range ones which has the bord bia sticker , so are Ye now telling us even these are injected with water . Please tell me no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Advertisement