Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Salthill June 6th

Options
  • 06-06-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Huge fire going by smoke somwhere in the direction of the bal / estates around there from my angle, anyone know the story?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Looks like the fire is at the Sacre Couer hotel from my angle. Dense smoke billowing out :eek:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Looks like the fire is at the Sacre Couer hotel from my angle. Dense smoke billowing out :eek:.
    What does the smoke smell like, caller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Heard the sirens. Seems serious. Hope no one is hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Snapped a pic

Sure, it's just the neighbours burning rubbish again

• Advertisement

Just saw a fire engine racing into town from Tuam I think which is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Huge fire going by smoke somwhere in the direction of the bal / estates around there from my angle, anyone know the story?

Former Sacre Couer hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Aran Islands seperatists invading perhaps?

Former Sacre Couer hotel.
    Folk going to church attracted by burning incense

snubbleste wrote: »
    Folk going to church attracted by burning incense

Maybe third time will be a charm.

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    Maybe third time will be a charm
    Ah now.
    Who owns the hotel these days anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Sure, it's just the neighbours burning rubbish again

No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No doubt started by wasters who had nothing better to do:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Firemen were lucky with that blowback , thank God they were not hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Sacred Heart!!

No doubt started by wasters who had nothing better to do:rolleyes:.

Maybe. I just heard a story about a council order to do something with it by the end of next month.

Maybe. I just heard a story about a council order to do something with it by the end of next month.

Interesting.

Thankfully the fire looks to be well under control now. I've been amazed by the hordes of people who descended on the place to gawk. They abandoned their cars all over Lenaboy/Oaklands, blocking driveways and impeding access for fire trucks. Actually I was surprised some of the local roads weren't cordoned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Thankfully the fire looks to be well under control now. I've been amazed by the hordes of people who descended on the place to gawk. They abandoned their cars all over Lenaboy/Oaklands, blocking driveways and impeding access for fire trucks. Actually I was surprised some of the local roads weren't cordoned off.

Arent you looking at the fire, it's human nature to stop and look, there are not too many major fires in Galway thank God If I was nearby I would be looking also

• Advertisement

I was struck by the lack of guards / garda cars in the various photos and videos, and how close people were allowed to stay.

There is one car visible in one of my early photos, but I didn't see any others.

Aerohead wrote: »
    Arent you looking at the fire, it's human nature to stop and look, there are not too many major fires in Galway thank God If I was nearby I would be looking also

This wasn't "stopping and looking", this was people travelling in their cars to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

This wasn't "stopping and looking", this was people travelling in their cars to look.

Lowering Inferno

Well the main road was cordoned off by Garda from Kelleher's petrol station west to Seapoint.

Well the main road was cordoned off by Garda from Kelleher's petrol station west to Seapoint.

That's good, shame they didn't do the job properly and cordon off Oaklands also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It was flattened when I went past today.

It was flattened when I went past today.
    Wha?
    Conspiracy theory time

Advertisement