Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

The ea access trial will only allow ultimate team and the first few chapters of the journey this year. Strange cause last year was the full game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

gotthebug wrote: »
    The ea access trial will only allow ultimate team and the first few chapters of the journey this year. Strange cause last year was the full game

What date is the ea access trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I remember a few years ago when the early access was given with the EA Season Ticket, it was a full week early to play the game as much as you want, nothing was locked out. It's ridiculous what's become of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Have a feeling they're doing this because The Journey won't be that long and they don't want people completing it in the trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I played a few games on the Vita via Remote Play. A very smooth experience. My football game of choice this year will be Pro Evo on full manual, but this will make a nice little diversion with the assisted settings. Perfect for a quick kick-around while the other half has control of the TV. I just need to pick up one of those L2/R2 adaptors for the Vita!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I can't believe how slow the download is...I wish they'd sort that out with the PSN.

It's only 8GB, I've left it for 2 hours on a 120Mb connection and I've only downloaded 1.2GB. Seems like the speed is always limited by the PSN.

Doesn't sound like people are impressed with it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

v3ttel wrote: »
    I can't believe how slow the download is...I wish they'd sort that out with the PSN.

It's only 8GB, I've left it for 2 hours on a 120Mb connection and I've only downloaded 1.2GB. Seems like the speed is always limited by the PSN.

Pause the download for about 10 seconds and then resume again. Keep repeating this and eventually it will begin to download much quicker. Sometimes you get the quicker connection on the first go.

I find this works on all downloads on the PS4.

Blatter wrote: »
    Pause the download for about 10 seconds and then resume again. Keep repeating this and eventually it will begin to download much quicker. Sometimes you get the quicker connection on the first go.

I find this works on all downloads on the PS4.

Nice one, thanks for that. That did the trick nicely. By pausing the download once and resuming it went from 5 hours remaining to 30 mins, seems to be downloading at a reasonable speed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I like it anyway, hadn't played the pes demo yet, so I played that just before fifa, and fifa is still better. Yes the passing isn't as sharp, but I think they done a great job replicating the look and feel (almost) of last year's game on a completely different game engine! I think it may even be something that could be patched, based on feedback. EA don't want to lose the soccer audience, that's for sure :)

Did anyone play the little teaser of the journey in the demo? Certainly interesting stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I like it anyway, hadn't played the pes demo yet, so I played that just before fifa, and fifa is still better. Yes the passing isn't as sharp, but I think they done a great job replicating the look and feel (almost) of last year's game on a completely different game engine! I think it may even be something that could be patched, based on feedback. EA don't want to lose the soccer audience, that's for sure :)

Did anyone play the little teaser of the journey in the demo? Certainly interesting stuff :D

I did. Do not pick the option play as Hunter though, as it was a frustrating experience :)

Playing as a team was a good challenge, as I had much more impact into how the game ended.

I might play it to relax a bit from online games, especially when on losing streak.

Only one game in demo, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

If past experiences come into play, the final product will be nothing like the Demo.
    Only played one game of kick off and The Journey and it felt very similar to '16, but that was also the same with the '16 demo and '15.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    If past experiences come into play, the final product will be nothing like the Demo.
    Only played one game of kick off and The Journey and it felt very similar to '16, but that was also the same with the '16 demo and '15.

Agreed. Good to have a quick look at how it will generally work and play.

I have to admit that visually PES looked much nicer to me, but maybe just because it was a bit different, though.

Replays were still not great in FIFA and pes seemed to do them better tbh.

After playing FIFA for good few years in a row I would need more than nice looking replays and graphics to win me over, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

wonski wrote: »
    I did. Do not pick the option play as Hunter though, as it was a frustrating experience :)

Playing as a team was a good challenge, as I had much more impact into how the game ended.

I might play it to relax a bit from online games, especially when on losing streak.

Only one game in demo, unfortunately.

I just played as the single player in the journey demo, the game wanted me to pick the whole team by default, but I didn't.

I played it on the xbox and one of the 3 items to do to impress the manager was score a goal. I played it on the pc too and the thing had changed to make 10 passes. At least it looks like a bit of variety anyway!

I'm going to try playing as the whole team, like you suggest after work tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Enjoying it I think but it feels very baggy. The presentation is very sleek and one of the best.

New set pieces are interesting especially penalties.

Will give it more goes but PES is doing it for me so far. Feels more fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So having played both demos here are my thoughts.

I really like the presentation in fifa, the feel of a big game and the managers on the sidelines are a much welcome addition imo. It's something fifa has more often than not nailed imo. In this department fifa wins hands down.

BUT gameplay wise, it's not a competition for me anymore. Pro is far better from a gameplay point of view.
    Fifa is just missing something in its games and when I score I don't get the same enjoyment from it as I do scoring a great goal in pro. Fifa matches feel like fifa matches not football games.(But with them moving to a new engine this year there will be plenty of room for improvement in the coming years).

The Pro demo got off to a underwhelming start as well for me so maybe id get to like fifa after some time but with the full game of pro most likely landing tomorrow there's very little chance of me playing too much more of the fifa demo before it's release date.

Honestly if it wasn't for the journey mode I probably wouldn't even think about fifa at this stage. If people say the journey is short (and I suspect it is) then I'll skip fifa until the Easter sales next year when it usually goes on sale at around 35e.

If we could only get a game with the fifa game modes/presentation and the Pro Evo gameplay I'd be a happy man.

I say all this as someone who has been almost exclusively playing fifa from fifa 09 to fifa 15 dipped back into play a few pros but never stayed. Fifa 16 wasn't good at all and was the turning point I think. This year it's looking like pro is about to increase the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Gave it a go, also tried the journey thing.

Plays very smooth in my opinion, looks tremendous. The Frostbite engine is fantastic. It does seem that some less good players run slow and turn like a freight train, but I guess they have to balance it out like that.

Will take some getting used to, especially the penalty system. But looks like this is actually a proper upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

The early reviews for PES have been trickling through all day and it looks like Konami have knocked it out of the park. Virtually every review I've read has referred to it as a "FIFA Killer" (or something similar) and "the best football game every made." FIFA 17 will have to be truly astonishing to come out on top this year in terms of critics.

I wonder what that means for FIFA going forward? PES will never outsell FIFA. Even during its best years it was well behind. However many of you will remember that EA tried desperately to regain its best-in-breed status during that period with a number of odd gameplay ideas. The series felt different each year as EA done everything and anything to get back on top. And they done that despite having the lion's share of the marketplace.

I had a quick flick around with the FIFA demo earlier and I'll probably pick up the full-game for Remote Play on the Vita. But my serious sessions will be with PES on the PS4. I think that speaks volumes (at least for me) about FIFA's latest fall from grace. I adored the series from 2009-2012. In fact, I was one of those brave souls that stuck with it during the dark days of the early-to-mid 00s! I'm not an EA fanboy and have actually purchased both titles every year since 2008. But I have to call a spade a spade. FIFA is once again second-best.

But again, what does that mean? Will EA just keep their heads down, continue to progress with the new engine and just carve out their own path, comfortable in the knowledge that they're still the biggest earner? Or will their ego (and competitive/capitalist spirit) get the better
    of them and force their hand? Can we expect more 'unique' ideas each year, sapping the life out of the series in the process?

Interesting times ahead for both sets of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Too bad KONAMI have decided not to release a demo on PC, so I guess I can't try it before buying :)

edit: And people that do have it on PC are pretty much in agreement that once again KONAMI has shat all over the PC gamers by delivering a last gen port.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I haven't tried the demo yet but i'd like to weigh in on the PES / Fifa debate. Like most I played PES mostly in the Noughties, and transitioned to Fifa then the last 5 years or so

What appeals to me with Fifa is the attention to detail / graphics etc. For example the licences to the majority of leagues, kits, players & the depth of leagues such as league 1/2. The Fifa gameplay IMO is fine, every year i start off on World Class and then up it to Legendary when i get the hang of it

I bought PES last year and found it very meh, i cant remember the exact difficulty i was playing but it was high enough and I was banging in 4 or 5 goals a game. The passing i must admit is better than Fifa & I liked how you presented a transferred player in the career mode but thats about it

Im a big career mode lover so the small bits go a long way for me, I wont bother with the Journey mode but one thing I was hoping they could improve on was the International management in career. If they could have added how many intl caps/goals a player had that would have went a long way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Im a big career mode lover so the small bits go a long way for me, I wont bother with the Journey mode but one thing I was hoping they could improve on was the International management in career. If they could have added how many intl caps/goals a player had that would have went a long way

I think one big thing missing from career mode is career statistics for managers and individual players it's as if one season finished that's it start a fresh. No record of what happened or any achievements from season to season it's something that for me would increase length of time i play career mode.

It be nice to be able bring a youth player threw the ranks and at end of his career see his good and bad seasons and progress.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Had a few games there.

Enjoyed it. I know it probably will feel way different in the proper game, but I liked the slow, more physical aspects. I liked the new corner system; being able to aim corners rather than praying they go roughly where I want it is good. Didnt get to try free kicks though. Have they changed too?

Liked the glimpse of Journey mode. Anyone know if you HAVE to be United? Obviously, thats brilliant for us United fans, but I can't imagine Pool fans would want that :P I didn't notice any specific mentions to United in the teaser. There was also weird inconsistencies; it shows the table before the match, clearly showing that its game three of the season, but the commentary is all about how it's game one. And Ibra and Pogba were on the bench against Chelsea. O...K... :P

EDIT: Actually, there was a reference to the Busby Babes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Had a few games there.

Enjoyed it. I know it probably will feel way different in the proper game, but I liked the slow, more physical aspects. I liked the new corner system; being able to aim corners rather than praying they go roughly where I want it is good. Didnt get to try free kicks though. Have they changed too?

Liked the glimpse of Journey mode. Anyone know if you HAVE to be United? Obviously, thats brilliant for us United fans, but I can't imagine Pool fans would want that :P I didn't notice any specific mentions to United in the teaser. There was also weird inconsistencies; it shows the table before the match, clearly showing that its game three of the season, but the commentary is all about how it's game one. And Ibra and Pogba were on the bench against Chelsea. O...K... :P

EDIT: Actually, there was a reference to the Busby Babes.

As far as I know the mode wont be limited to Utd in the full game, think I saw reference to the demo that they would be the only playable team in this mode on demo, funny alright seeing Zlatan and Pogba on the bench while these two nobodies got a game haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Free kicks have changed too you can now change a players stance and distance from the ball so your not stuck with a specific stance for each player.

You can play the journey from any premier league club in the full game

Played two games last night and enjoyed it. The gameplay isn't vastly different but the way the players run and move is slightly different. The two big things are the shooting seems more difficult and the physicality of the game is much more realistic. Being able to hold up the ball with your #9 and back into defenders adds something extra.

I just hope the refs are less horrific than previous FIFAs and that a lot of the randomness of collisions/bounces is addressed. A lot of goals come from pure bullsh!t, which doesn't seem as bad in PES. I doubt either of those things will be improved much.

I'll buy both but I will mostly play FIFA again this year, mainly for FUT. Not being able to buy the players you like/need in MyClub is a pain.

I think but I'm not 100%, that myclub is adding in some kind of system to buy the players you need. But at the same time I wouldn't expect it to be as refined as UT is at this stage

I think but I'm not 100%, that myclub is adding in some kind of system to buy the players you need. But at the same time I wouldn't expect it to be as refined as UT is at this stage

I think you are right, but I've read (rightly or wrongly) that you still can't pick the exact player you want.

I would get much more enjoyment playing with a squad of players I like, rather than playing with a squad of players who fit into the same category in each position, but that I'm not that arsed about.

I think you are right, but I've read (rightly or wrongly) that you still can't pick the exact player you want.

I would get much more enjoyment playing with a squad of players I like, rather than playing with a squad of players who fit into the same category in each position, but that I'm not that arsed about.

Yeah to be fair though I ended up with a far far better team in myclub than I ever had in UT. So from a squad building point of view in the long term it worked out better.

The main problem myclub has is that the contracts are way too expensive to be able to use the team all the time and then you have a fairly ridiculous stamina system on top of that.

It's purely designed to get the user to spend money on it to get to use those players. Scummy move imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

It has to be, my speed is way lower in general to others but downloads take roughly the same amount of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

Anyone know anywhere in Ireland to get it early?

Advertisement