Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Box of baby formula on plane?

Options
  • 06-06-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have been googling but can't find an answer as yet to whether I can bring a box of cow and gate baby formula on the plane for a week away. I've read you can take the cartons or a bottle on the plane but not sure if the box in baby's bag will be ok. Very weary to get formula over there as he has a very sensitive stomach and took a while to find this formula that agrees with him. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

venusdoom wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Have been googling but can't find an answer as yet to whether I can bring a box of cow and gate baby formula on the plane for a week away. I've read you can take the cartons or a bottle on the plane but not sure if the box in baby's bag will be ok. Very weary to get formula over there as he has a very sensitive stomach and took a while to find this formula that agrees with him. Thanks.

Should be OK. But if in doubt contact the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Del2005 wrote: »
    Should be OK. But if in doubt contact the airline.

You can. I brought over 4 weeks worth to the Philippines when we went over for twins. Put it in your cargo luggage.You really only run into problem with bottled water for baby on the flight we went with cartons for that reason

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can but to make it easier i brought cartons of re-made formula in cartons.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had a 14 month old with reflux, so we couldn't use the ready made stuff either. When we went last year, we put a tin of her milk in our cargo luggage, and brought enough individual containers of it for the flight - you know those small plastic containers that hold enough scoops for one feed when out and about .Also brought a number of sterilised, pre-filled bottles on board.
    The biggest thing you can do, I think, is when you are at security, unload everything from the baby bag. And I mean everything. Lay it all out in front of them, so they know you've nothing to hide. Even though you don't and they know it, but still, I think it goes a long way to do that. I missed the tub of vaseline in the changing bag, having taken out the Calpol and everything, and they picked up on it. If you can make their job any little bit easier, then do and hopefully, it will help you too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ready-made might not be great solution either. I know I had to open all cartons in Stanstead once and because they were those tetra pack and non resealable I had to throw them out. I was fine because I was either breastfeeding or formula was used only as a supplement to solids but it's annoyance. Through the years I saw completely different attitudes in different airports or even at different times in the same airport. Stanstead in particular seems to be a royal pain although I could be biased because I dread the place anyway.

If you are checking in the bag I would put a back up box in the check in luggage. And if you are not then check in a bag because too much hand luggage with a child is extra hassle anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted Ryanair and got a reply "yes you can". So that's it then, going to take it on as Hand Luggage. We're only going for 6 days so not too much luggage. Here's hoping it'll all go ok :)

Advertisement