Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Straps

Options
  • 06-06-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi just wondering does anyone know where I can get cheap universal pedal straps as I have just started cycling.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Hi just wondering does anyone know where I can get cheap universal pedal straps as I have just started cycling.

Thanks

Any local bike shop or the likes of Halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You are better off without them - I've seen many an incident caused by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've done quite a few multi sport races using them and never felt they were going to attempt to kill me, on both road and trail.

I reckon your standard clip ins would cause more, although I've never had a fall due to those either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've done quite a few multi sport races using them and never felt they were going to attempt to kill me, on both road and trail.

I reckon your standard clip ins would cause more, although I've never had a fall due to those either.

Clip ins are way better - they have more secure clipping in and out and less likely to get tangled up.

I've seen people not bother to put both straps on and then have a bad fall when the loose strap hit off something on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If it's just the straps that you want, here you go

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/brand-x-toe-straps/rp-prod118594

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks

Hi there & Welcome to Cycling :)

Just seen your post and went looking as knew my originals were around. I have a pair with the cage-like strap on them; only left-side has a reflector.
    If they suit, just pm me an address and I'll post them on tomorrow, no-charge.

Just let me know,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Clip ins are way better - they have more secure clipping in and out and less likely to get tangled up.

I've seen people not bother to put both straps on and then have a bad fall when the loose strap hit off something on the road.

I know they're better for general cycling, but they're not the danger they're being made out to be. If something exists a person somewhere will find a way to injure themselves with it.

Ones like power grips can work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Hi I'm looking for the caged ones. Kerry4sam I'll take them if you still have them, just PM you there. Thanks still getting to grips with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Hey OP,

I use these Bagaboo Straps. I have got to say I love them, very sturdy. They make the commute a good bit easier without the hassle of clipless shoes.

One thing I would say is that, I generally try and use the same style of runners with them as shoes with thicker soles can get a little stuck in them if you have set the straps at a smaller size. Runners with a lot of grip on the sole can get awkward also when sliding the shoe out

(basically what I am saying is that I avoid wearing any of my Vans when using it as they have a chunky sole and a grid style grip that the teeth of my pedals get snagged onto) I prefer a low profile runner with a smooth sole.

http://www.bagaboo.hu/en/bagatoe-pedal-straps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Used cages and straps for years and never had any problems but only with flat soled shoes. Have been using Shimano M324 pedals on my commuter as they are flat on one side and have SPD clips on the other. They are a good introduction to clip-in pedals that do have a number of advantages over cages and straps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Advertisement