Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Ice-cream

Options
  • 06-06-2016 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

We all know Ice-cream is eaten in warm weather to cool one down but their is a contradiction in this. Ice-cream contains salt and salt absorbs heat in the body so my question is why is it that food that cools us down not end up heating us up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not sure I understand your logic,

I will note that a full 110ml magnum ice cream has only 0.09g salt.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=287174734

Maybe you are thinking of people making icecream with salt, i.e. using salt with ice to chill the mixture, but not adding it to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I am talking about simple Ice-cream Vanilla or otherwise all Ice-creams possess a certain amount of salt but salt absorbs water.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

As a food scientist... I don't understand what you're trying to imply. That ice cream should dehydrate?

As a food scientist... I don't understand what you're trying to imply. That ice cream should dehydrate?

Well if salt absorbs water in your body you are eating a food that contains salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Where did you get the idea that ice cream contains salt? Salt is used in the ice surrounding the ice creme to make it freeze faster, not in the ice cream itself.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    Where did you get the idea that ice cream contains salt? Salt is used in the ice surrounding the ice creme to make it freeze faster, not in the ice cream itself.

I was under the impression all Dairy products have salt in them. Obviously different amounts but salt at some level nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

KingBrian2 wrote:
    I was under the impression all Dairy products have salt in them. Obviously different amounts but salt at some level nonetheless.

So has basically everything else, in trace amounts. Just shove the ice cream in your gob and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This is the most obscure posting I have ever read about ice cream.
    Eating salt does not make one hot.
    In fact eating a certain amount of salt is a good thing if one is sweating a lot as it replaces the salt lost through sweating it out.
    A packet of crisps has way more salt than an ice cream and it doesn't seem to create spontaneous human combustion even eaten in copious quantities on hot days judging by my observations....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Salt was used as currency in, primarily, Ethiopia, as it was consumed to regulate perspiration and replace the salts lost when you sweat. That is why you have fluid replacement drinks with a lot of salt. Salary is derived from the latin word 'Salarium' which means salt money, it also is the base from the phrase 'worth his salt'. So when it comes to 'making you hot' is absolute balls, salt is added to ice-cream to make your taste buds dilate as they need an extra boost because below 3 degrees celcius your ability to taste is severely diminished. That's why cr@p american beer is suggested served 'Ice Cold' to mask the horrible taste

duploelabs wrote: »
    Salt was used as currency in, primarily, Ethiopia, as it was consumed to regulate perspiration and replace the salts lost when you sweat. That is why you have fluid replacement drinks with a lot of salt. Salary is derived from the latin word 'Salarium' which means salt money, it also is the base from the phrase 'worth his salt'. So when it comes to 'making you hot' is absolute balls, salt is added to ice-cream to make your taste buds dilate as they need an extra boost because below 3 degrees celcius your ability to taste is severely diminished. That's why cr@p american beer is suggested served 'Ice Cold' to mask the horrible taste

I see thanks for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement