Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental implants & bone grafting - ROI & NI

Options
  • 06-06-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello everyone,

Was in a traffic accident 2010, lost 3 front teeth (all in a row) - been wearing a partial denture since then. Got a consultation for implants a couple months ago - dentist took OPG x-ray, confirmed I will need bone grafting to support implants. I am 31 and in good health.

Have been doing some research for dental work abroad as it's much cheaper, but as the dentists on here advise, for this kind of advanced dental work, I'd really rather stay local for followup and in case there are problems.

I live in Dublin but am willing to go anywhere in Ireland - including Northern Ireland. I know cost alone shouldn't direct where I go - but unfortunately, I will need to spend nearly all my savings for this work and so need to factor this in.

Could anyone PM me with suggestions on where to go? Google and individually emailing practices has only gotten me so far... thanks in advance.

Also - if anyone has personal experience getting bone grafting done for this, can you share your experience? I see there's an option between using bone from a cadaver (!) and from your own body - would be very interested to hear people's experiences on this.

This is my first ever post on boards.ie - I read the forum charter for this section - apologies in advance if I'm violating any rules or if this has been asked before, I see several threads on implants, but not so much on implants & bone grafting.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You can also get cow bone :eek:

I'll drop you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mountglib

Thanks Heli. Your PM was very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 labloverof2

Mountglib I'm also looking for a clinic offering these services, did you ever get the dental surgery done? how did it go and would you recommend whoever it was you attended?
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

There are often ways around the lack of bone, a bone graft is one option but there are others, such as narrow implants, or angulated implants. Getting and optimal result with this sort of work is generally best not trusted to the lowest bidder so I applaud that choice. There are various bone grafting materials, artificial, bovine, human, donor sites from your own body, they can all work well in the correct hands, but its the surgeons skills in planning and the actual proceedure, that decide the outcome not the material.

Good luck OP and welcome to boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mountglib

labloverof2 - will pm you with recommendation.

Just as a general update - been a long journey since the original post, had selected the dentist (in Dublin) and we were all set to go, but got pregnant (with twins!) and had to delay. Fast forward two years and I am at the final stage of the dental implant process, in fact I'm getting the actual crowns put in next week. Used artificial bone grafting in the end. Fingers crossed this last stage all goes well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement