Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting our dairy for the good of your skin

Options
  • 06-06-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

After trying what seems like everything to clear up my acne, I've decided to cut dairy out.

I did some research and found that the majority of acne cases are down to dairy allergies. Has anyone else cut out dairy? If so, did it help your skin, and could you recommend any dairy alternatives? (Particularly for Butter!)

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

It's not something I've tried myself, but I'd love to hear how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Seems to definitely have some benefits. Along with the acne thing, members of my family have told me that it really helped when their kids had congested sinuses to cut out dairy - they pretty much cleared out straight away.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread - but I guess, as well as your acne clearing up, there may be other benefits too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I changed from using dairy milk to almond milk about two years ago now. I have definitely noticed a difference in my skin. I suffered from spots and acne my whole life and haven't had any spots in the last few years. I was on a course of roacutane about three years ago though and am on the pill for my spots too.

I still have cheese, eggs and butter as I don't think you should eliminate dairy altogether. It's very good for protein and certain vitamins etc. However, I do think staying off dairy milk helps keep my skin clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey op - everytime this is asked I like to jump in and say YES it helped me BUT there's no guarantees.

I've had acne for a very long time, and now it's really under control to the point people don't believe me when i tell them, and it's largely based on two things - benzoyl peroxide and minimising dairy. Now I love dairy, nae way am I giving up cheese! But for the daily intake like in tea or cereal, I stick wi soya milk. And as CKonetheonlyone mentioned about sinus, mine improved too from having less dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I cut out milk for about eight months and had the best skin of my life. Then I started a new job and kept forgetting to buy almond milk so slowly but surely I started to add milk back into my cups of tea on my break and now I'm fully back drinking cows milk and my skin is totally suffering because of it. I keep meaning to give it up again it definitely made a huge difference.
    If I were you I'd start with cutting just milk first and see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'm not sure how effective it really is. I'm lactose intolerant so haven't had dairy in about 7 years in any large amount (butter spreads, baked into things, some cheeses but no milk, cream etc) & I still have a touch of acne on my face & back. No real difference that didn't come with age.

I think before cutting an entire food group which does have benefits out of your diet maybe talk to a dietitian or your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Might help if you are - check the amounts though

BIp0WyS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I really want to try because my skin is in bits but I love milk and cheese too much :(

Tasden wrote: »
    I really want to try because my skin is in bits but I love milk and cheese too much :(

I hear ye on cheese! But soya milk is grand! I like it unsweetened, in cereal and tea. Gie it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

La_Gordy wrote: »
    I hear ye on cheese! But soya milk is grand! I like it unsweetened, in cereal and tea. Gie it a go!

I hate soya milk, I really think your better off with almond milk or one of those. Soya is full of oestrogen which I'm meant to avoid anyway (heart issues in the family)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Almond milk gives tea a lovely flavour I think, almost preferable to 'real' milk - however I just use cows milk as work provide it and almond milk can be quite pricey.

I have heard many reports of great skin after cutting dairy though OP so I would definitely try it - just make sure to report back to us :)
    if all goes well for you I may give it another go myself

I've tried all replacements/alternatives but the consistency is just not the same so it feels off :(

I've tried all replacements/alternatives but the consistency is just not the same so it feels off :(

Ah, that's a shame!

I wonder if the lacto-free milk would help clear skin without compromising on the flavour?

Ah, that's a shame!

I wonder if the lacto-free milk would help clear skin without compromising on the flavour?

Think I'll just have to stop being a princess and just suck it up or else put up with the spots :pac: I've been convincing myself they're hormonal anyway so it won't help all that much!

Think I'll just have to stop being a princess and just suck it up or else put up with the spots :pac: I've been convincing myself they're hormonal anyway so it won't help all that much!

Dairy is meant to give acne I understand because of the hormones given to the animal that are present in the milk.
    Organic milk might not have this issue - you'll have to check though

Dairy is meant to give acne I understand because of the hormones given to the animal that are present in the milk.
    Organic milk might not have this issue - you'll have to check though

But that would be seperate to acne caused by a hormone imbalance in the woman's body, no? Or would it exasperate it? So confusing!

But that would be seperate to acne caused by a hormone imbalance in the woman's body, no? Or would it exasperate it? So confusing!

I think it would add to it, hormones are so sensitive, really hard to know. My friend swears by cutting out dairy for acne, I don't know if it works but she's confident it does!

I think it would add to it, hormones are so sensitive, really hard to know. My friend swears by cutting out dairy for acne, I don't know if it works but she's confident it does!

Learn something new every day! I might have to give it a shot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Could any of you kind people recommend a new decent skin care regime.

I'm 32.
    I've recently had to come off the pill and my skin has gone to absolute rubbish.
    Combination skin very dry patches on t-zone.
    I exfoliate twice a week. Use micellar water to cleanse, use boots botanics serum and moisturiser.
    I can't wear make up it just sits on my face and looks desperate.

I was thinking of trying the nip and fab pads. Are they any good?

I'm on a fairly strict budget any information be appreciated.

La.de.da wrote: »

I'm 32.
    I've recently had to come off the pill and my skin has gone to absolute rubbish.
    I exfoliate twice a week. Use micellar water to cleanse, use boots botanics serum and moisturiser.

I found that the boots botanics break me out something rotten so maybe try moving away from them. I've gone back to a routine of Garnier cream cleanser, then a fash wash, followed by a toner & moisturiser. My toner is the only thing not Garnier & it's the Ren one (they only do one) which is great for clearing spots.

Haven't used the nip & fab pads so can't comment on them. Oh & if you're near a Superdrug, their clay mask (pink pack) is pretty good for helping clear skin I've found and you can buy sachets to try out before committing.

• Advertisement

La.de.da wrote: »

I'm 32.

Micellar water breaks me out if I don't wash it off, so you need another cleanser, micellar water is a makeup remover more than a cleanser.

My routine which is working well for me at the moment is;
    Oskia Renaissance Cleansing gel (love it but it's more a luxury then a necessity)
    Pixi Glow tonic (it's amazing best skincare item I've every used)
    Vichy serum and eye gel blue one.
    Simple SPF or oilatum moisturiser.

You can buy the smaller size pixi glow tonic on line in M&S, which might suit you best if your on a budget.

Oskia Renaissance Cleansing gel (love it but it's more a luxury then a necessity)

Is this really worth it? A couple of bloggers I follow swear by it but haven't really heard of it much other than that so curious.

+1 on Oskia Renaissance cleansing gel. Would never ever go back to any other cleanser since using it, it's amazing and you're giving your skin such a treat by using it.

Is this really worth it? A couple of bloggers I follow swear by it but haven't really heard of it much other than that so curious.

I think so, you use so little product that it works out cheaper than my previous cleanser, Liz Earle, it's a really really nice product to use. I've only used it with the Pixi Glow tonic so I don't know how amazing it is on its own but I don't want to risk changing!
    If your on a budget Una Brennan has a cheap hot cloth cleanser that I use sometimes as a first cleanse.

EDIT: Oskia is 31e on the Beauty Bay Vs 41e Harvey Nicoles, so shop online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Thanks for suggestions. Must research them.

I'm very wary of buying high end products have been scorned and disappointed so much but ill look up those what ye suggested.

Someone told me the la roche possae rang is supposed to be good for problematic skin.

Going to get some samples and try that maybe.

I miss being able to wear make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

I suffer with acne around my chin / neck. I think it part hormonal , part dairy issues. But every time i totally quit dairy my skin clears up. I was away the weekend so had regular milk , and now my skin is crazy. I really noticed it over christmas, i had the biggest bowl of ice cream .. i love ice cream , and the next day my skin erupted !. I use almond milk, some free butter spread and other than that id happy avoid it, I'm lucky that I'm not the biggest cheese fan, unless it melted cheese on pizza , lasagna etc. But there's different options. I do use La Roche posey , cleanser and moisturiser.

applesock wrote: »
    I suffer with acne around my chin / neck. I think it part hormonal , part dairy issues. But every time i totally quit dairy my skin clears up. I was away the weekend so had regular milk , and now my skin is crazy. I really noticed it over christmas, i had the biggest bowl of ice cream .. i love ice cream , and the next day my skin erupted !. I use almond milk, some free butter spread and other than that id happy avoid it, I'm lucky that I'm not the biggest cheese fan, unless it melted cheese on pizza , lasagna etc. But there's different options. I do use La Roche posey , cleanser and moisturiser.

There was me worrying about milk before... i completely forgot all these yummy things too! Pizza and ice cream :o
    I shall just buy a good concealer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I was considering trying this out as I've cleaned up my diet a lot lately and my skin is improving everywhere except my jawline and neck. My back is bad too, but that's another story. I've started using almond milk in my porridge but I still take cow's milk in my coffee and I love natural yoghurt. Are there any decent non-dairy low fat yoghurts out there?

I always get spots in the exact same spot on the left side of my chin, never ever anywhere else. Always two or three on my left side of chin and as soon as they go two more appear in the exact spot, is this hormonal or dietary?

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    I always get spots in the exact same spot on the left side of my chin, never ever anywhere else. Always two or three on my left side of chin and as soon as they go two more appear in the exact spot, is this hormonal or dietary?
    Do you ever rest your chin in your hand? I have ones in a similar place but they're from that rather than anything else (according to my GP). My other ones are more hormonal alright.

Advertisement