Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Issues After Windows 10 Clean Install

• 06-06-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I had to do a clean install of windows 10 today because I had freezing issues which I have yet to see have gone with the clean install. I went into settings then system and recovery and selected reset and remove all files and settings and then it reinstalled windows 10, however my previous wallpaper was still there after the install. When it had finished the clean install I discovered problems I had when I first upgraded to windows 10. I managed to fix these issues before but now I can't remember how I fixed them. 1 of the issues is the brightness is backwards. I sometimes have to put brightness down to 0% to get full brightness. I have the settings set so that the screen brightness will be 80% when on battery and 100 when plugged in. For example if I boot the pc on battery the brightness is as it should be on 80% but when I plug it in the screen goes dark when it should be on 100%, so what I have to do is put the brightness to 0% in order to get full brightness??? The other problem is that shutdown now nearly takes a minute while it took like 10 seconds before the reinstall. This is another problem I had when i first upgraded but fixed it eventually but now i cant remember how. Can anyone help with these very annoying issues. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

What operating system did the PC originally come with ?

Did you choose to do the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade or did the laptop actually come with Windows 10 out of the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 John_2187

If the system originally came with an older OS like Windows XP or vista, chances are your PC doesn't like the new OS. However if you were in Windows 7 or 8, it might be your computer acting up. Take it to a tech store or try doing a fresh reset on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

What operating system did the PC originally come with ?

Did you choose to do the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade or did the laptop actually come with Windows 10 out of the box?

It originally came with Windows 8.1

John_2187 wrote: »
    If the system originally came with an older OS like Windows XP or vista, chances are your PC doesn't like the new OS. However if you were in Windows 7 or 8, it might be your computer acting up. Take it to a tech store or try doing a fresh reset on the PC.

No, It came with Windows 8.1 and I done a fresh reset yesterday where I went into the update and recovery and selected reset and remove all files and settings. However my desktop wallpaper was still there after the reset.

SW98 wrote: »
    No, It came with Windows 8.1 and I done a fresh reset yesterday where I went into the update and recovery and selected reset and remove all files and settings. However my desktop wallpaper was still there after the reset.

Sounds like it did a partial reset. They usually give you two options 1. Restore the OS and keep all my files and 2. Restore the entire OS (THIS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR FILES).

(^ Note that this is me just giving an example of how the options may be phrased, but the options are usually phrased something like this. )

Is it possible you had a menu like this and chose the first option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I did a clean install and had issues with the Bluetooth switching on and off and the touchpad was dire. I fixed both issues by downloading the drivers from the laptop support site. Maybe you could do the same.

Sounds like it did a partial reset. They usually give you two options 1. Restore the OS and keep all my files and 2. Restore the entire OS (THIS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR FILES).

(^ Note that this is me just giving an example of how the options may be phrased, but the options are usually phrased something like this. )

Is it possible you had a menu like this and chose the first option?

No all my files were erased also.

jca wrote: »
    I did a clean install and had issues with the Bluetooth switching on and off and the touchpad was dire. I fixed both issues by downloading the drivers from the laptop support site. Maybe you could do the same.

I have tried downloading drivers but they just say your pc does not meet the minimum requirements.

No all my files were erased also.

But if you still have the same desktop, then it does not seem that the machine has been fully reset. Unless of course you were using the default background!

After the full reset, did it reset back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

But if you still have the same desktop, then it does not seem that the machine has been fully reset. Unless of course you were using the default background!

After the full reset, did it reset back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

Windows 10

• Advertisement

Okay, my choice in this scenario is to downgrade to the original operating system. In your Windows 10, if you go to Settings | Recovery do you have the option to go back to Windows 8.1?

Okay, my choice in this scenario is to downgrade to the original operating system. In your Windows 10, if you go to Settings | Recovery do you have the option to go back to Windows 8.1?

Well I want to stay with Windows 10. The thing is that these are the exact problems I had when I first upgraded to windows 10 but I got them fixed but cant remember how. Now they are back after the reinstall.

I have tried downloading drivers but they just say your pc does not meet the minimum requirements.

Try downloading the driver to your desktop, right click the exe and choose compatability, select windows 8.1 as the os in which it worked that might get you somewhere.

The freezing problem has not been fixed with the reset, so I don't know what to do now.

The freezing problem has not been fixed with the reset, so I don't know what to do now.

Start task manager as soon as you start up and see what's causing the freezing. Mine was freezing slightly but it was windows update that was causing it. I left it alone for about 20 mins and it settled down when the modules installer was finished.

jca wrote: »
    Start task manager as soon as you start up and see what's causing the freezing. Mine was freezing slightly but it was windows update that was causing it. I left it alone for about 20 mins and it settled down when the modules installer was finished.

Im just going to download windows 10 as an iso onto a dvd and boot from that then delete my current partitions

Advertisement