Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amiga Users Ireland meetup July 9th!

• 06-06-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

The first Amiga Users Ireland meetup is this July 9th in the Prince of Wales Hotel. Bring your Amiga or come and see what we've tricked ours out to do. Some interesting talks, competitions, gaming, spot prizes and more. See attached and book early!

See some new Amiga hardware demo'd as well as some recent software for our thirty year old computers like the new Dropbox client :)

There will also be at least one stall/shop for Amiga hardware and software if you want to do some retro shopping - maybe 4MB of RAM for the misuss, sir?

Amiga Users Ireland July 9th 2016.pdf
    The full details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from All Things Retro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great, sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

Anyone know what time it starts and ends at?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Love to go myself but its a bit far out for me , good luck though :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Dr Bob wrote: »

Same here. Too far a trek unfortunately. Hopefully there's a good turn out.

• Advertisement

Maynooth to Athlone!
    too far:eek:
    less than an hour.

Good to see somebody putting in the effort and organizing a show like this.

good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I won't be able to make it unfortunately. I owned an A500 back in the 90s and have followed the scene from a distance since..it's long been a wish to get an A1200 and set it up with Whdload. UAE will have to do for now. Anyway, I hope there's a good turnout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

awesome! I'll be there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

At a wedding that weekend :( Hope ye enjoy it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Danick wrote: »
    Anyone know what time it starts and ends at?
    Thanks
    Starts at 10am. The venue is booked until after 6pm, but they've just told me I can have it until 8 if we'll use it. To which I obviously said, YES!

There will be a range of classic / next-gen machines set up, some network gaming and schenanigans. Talks about using your Amiga for more than just games in 2016 and more. A Vampire boards was due to be there but had to be returned due a defect. We are hopeful the replacement will be back in time. The room has a projector.

Some carpooling is being organised on our facebook page[1] and there is one car leaving from Dublin for the event. We have about fifty members so far and are growing. I keep meeting people who are eager to get back into it, it's great :)

1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1511083932525709/

• Advertisement

There are people coming from Scotland and Northern Ireland - sorry, don't buy it. Unless you travel by donkey :)

Nice, Only 40 minute drive from me, I'll pop on down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭smurf492

Best of luck with it...would of been great but im out of the country :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

Might head on down there myself. A SWOS competition sounds like a bit of fun. The Amiga was such a great machine in its day. Wish I had held on to mine. It was chucked when we got the 486

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hellrun

Den14 wrote: »
    Might head on down there myself. A SWOS competition sounds like a bit of fun. The Amiga was such a great machine in its day. Wish I had held on to mine. It was chucked when we got the 486

Oh dear, that sounds rather blasphemous! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Den14 wrote: »

It's a similar story for a lot of us I'd imagine, I switched to a Pentium in 1996 when I started studying software development in college and sold my A500 due to lack of space (and beer money, if I'm honest). The folly of youth...

It's bitter-sweet to hear from those who'd like to come but aren't around. We have a FB page that anyone is welcome to join. The next thing on the agenda is to organize routine online meetups where we will log on to IRC from our Amigas and play net games like dynAMIte, Monopoly and others.

There are SWOS and KickOff fanatics in the group as well as programmers and artists. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1511083932525709/1575114019456033/?notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1466364393971248

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'm hoping to make it along.

Maybe I can force people to play my awful SEUCK games.

I don't see a way to append to the first post - but tickets are EUR 10 via paypal (see attachment on the first post) up until the day before the event. On the day it will be EUR 15 in cash at the event.

Edit: DinoRex - hope you can make it. If you don't still have your amiga you can always emulate. There's interest from a great range of people including very advanced users and people who have yet to own an Amiga and want to learn.

A500 and A1200 are buried at my parents house somewhere... hoping to dig them up at some point this year though.

My CD32 sits under my TV though.

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    A500 and A1200 are buried at my parents house somewhere... hoping to dig them up at some point this year though.

My CD32 sits under my TV though.

Excellent! I'm getting a good laugh at all the Amiga gear being bought in advance of this event. If you're a developer (even if it's SEUCK), would you consider giving a five or ten minute talk on the topic? (assuming you'll be there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

any vendors there ? would love to pick up some titles

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

..not sure if my wife needs the car that day , if not I'll see if I can drive down ..:)

Hoping to make it down.

May bring an audio recorder along with me to get a few bits for the ArcadeAndRetro.com podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

It's looking like I'm going to be heading along full of curiosity heaped with dollops of nostalgia. Should be fun. It's been a while since I've laid my eyes on an actual amiga. See ye there!

Just a few photos. Thanks to those from boards who came along. It was great to meet you and the feedback was really good so the next event is in planning already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cool little bartop thing there

Oh, and I should say that that was David Pleasance on the overhead projector taking questions about the halcyon days of Commodore :D

Well done!
    What sort of numbers did you get?
    Do you think you'll do it again?
    I'd love to do a arcade/pinball show.

• Advertisement

Well done!
    What sort of numbers did you get?
    Do you think you'll do it again?
    I'd love to do a arcade/pinball show.

I *love* pinball :) We had 18 that were there for the whole day and another two or three that couldn't stay as long. Feedback was great! I've heard from people since who didn't know about it and the group on Facebook (necessary evil for this sort of thing) has grown since the event.

The next one is already being planned but no date to announce yet.

Here's a video one of the guys made between games: https://www.instagram.com/p/BH9fjD7jDQI/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nice, would be interested in the next one, i missed the previous one even though im close, grrrr

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Now's your chance! You can join the group or contact me for tickets.
    13903390_300281586985758_7305331314543513136_n.jpg?oh=ebe8f288f1f25db4431e818c9d814638&oe=58481D5D&__gda__=1482345807_346ac351e560396743d504fd73cc66a5

Advertisement