Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primer

Options
  • 06-06-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I don't wear make up that often so I don't know a lot about it. I'm just wondering if primer is worth getting? What is its purpose? I find that sometimes my foundation doesn't look very smooth on my face, sometimes like my skin is dry, while other times it looks fine. I always put moisturiser on before foundation to help this but it doesn't always work. I currently use Yves Saint Laurent foundation, and previously used Bobbi Brown.
    Would primer be of any help? I have a Mac make up appointment soon so I need to buy a product. I don't want foundation as it didn't look right on me before (not a full face make up appointment), so I was wondering about primer. But, I don't wear make up every day so I don't know whether it would be wasted on me, or whether I could get a cheaper brand.
    Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey Op, I've only recently started wearing primer having avoided it due to a topical acne medication. I am really impressed with the results. I first tried it with a Mac primer - the creme mattifiante - and found my make-up went on a lot smoother. Prior to this, despite very oily skin, I'd have dry patches and flakey areas. Ahm using a Nyx primer at the moment which I don't feel offers the same canvas results as the Mac primer, but it seems to last well. I'd suggest at the very least getting a sample and trying it out yourself as part of your routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Definitely sounds like primer would help OP! Definitely get a sample from Mac, and a cheaper alternative, which I use at the moment and am quite happy with, is the flormar primer, which is about a tenner. Good few of the bloggers are fans of it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Primer makes such a massive difference, it's well worth investing in one!

I've tried most of them and I have found Benefit Porefessional to be by far the best, and it's a decent size too so good value for money. Smashbox had been my previous favourite, but the Benefit one is far better, and actually is quite good even on it's own if you're not bothered putting makeup on over it - it just really smooths and brightens your skin. I've tried quite a few others (Lancôme, Urban Decay, Bourjois, Rimmel, MaxFactor, No 7, etc) but I don't think I'll be trying any more now, I'm happy to stick with this one!

The Boots 17 brand one is good too if you wanted a cheap alternative - the one in the little black tube - I always found it hard to get though, I'm not sure they even do it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

I've only recently started using primer because I got a free Clarins and a free Clinique sample with perfume and make-up. I always use Clinique foundation and powder and their primer has made such a difference to my make up.
    It's so noticable that people comment on my complexion when wearing it and I find my makeup goes on much smoother and lasts much longer. I'm a total convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Can anyone recommend a good primer for super dry skin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Pink11 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good primer for super dry skin?

Smashbox do a very good hydrating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Smashbox do a very good hydrating one.

Thank you, going to pick this up tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I swear by this primer from Catrice. I find it every bit as good as more expensive primers. It's around the €5 mark.

http://www.catrice.eu/complexion/primer-makeup/catrice-cosmetics/prime-and-fine-smoothing-refiner.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi OP,

I personally only bother with primer for nights out.

During the day I wear SPF on my face, and my thinking is that I don't want to layre things (other than my foundation!) that might dislodge the spf.

On this thread - what primers do ye recommend for oily shiny skin?

Ahm using the Nyx one that is pish for shine but hopefully it'll be finished soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Thanks everyone! I've decided to get primer when I go for my appointment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I use Laura Mercier primer and it's wonderful. I haven't been wearing foundation much recently, but LM has one primer that kind of gives your skin a little glow. It's pricey, but well worth it.

I've heard great things about Benefit's Porefessional but every time I used it, my skin broke out.

Bumping this thread up for any primer recommendations for shiny skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Bumping this thread up for any primer recommendations for shiny skin!

In my experience Smashbox Photofinish Primer (original clear one) is great for oily skin. Removes all the shine and leaves a lovely soft matte base.

Try get a sample and see if it suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Valentina wrote: »
    In my experience Smashbox Photofinish Primer (original clear one) is great for oily skin. Removes all the shine and leaves a lovely soft matte base.

Try get a sample and see if it suits you.

I would have said the same until I tried the Benefit one I mentioned earlier in the thread! :D

I have anxiety issues so my face can get quite sweaty at times when I'm having anxiety/panic attacks. :o I have recently found Benefit Porefessional primer and Clinique Beyond Perfecting foundation to be the perfect combination for this. OK, of course I'm still going to sweat, but I can pat away the perspiration with a tissue or whatever and my makeup is still fine, all day. (Only problem is it's nearly impossible to take off at night!! :pac: )

OK, of course I'm still going to sweat, but I can pat away the perspiration with a tissue or whatever and my makeup is still fine, all day. (Only problem is it's nearly impossible to take off at night!! :pac: )

That's a massive endorsement for Porefessional!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I use urban decay primer and I find it really good

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

I would definitely recommend the benefit porefessional as well. was shocked at how good it was when i got it first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I like maybelline baby skin, it will help with dry patches and makeup will last longer too. It's also reasonably priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Just to update, I got the Mac Prep and Prime and so far I find it to be really good so I'm very happy with my purchase. Thanks to those who helped! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I like maybelline baby skin, it will help with dry patches and makeup will last longer too. It's also reasonably priced!

I use this after using porefessional for a year. This is better for me and only a tenner.

Advertisement