Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey to Stephen's Green.

Options
  • 06-06-2016 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

Anyone do this as a commute?

Is it do-able long term?

What time would I have to leave Gorey at to be passing by Stephen's Green at 9:00am if I was driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

Anyone do this as a commute?

Is it do-able long term?

What time would I have to leave Gorey at to be passing by Stephen's Green at 9:00am if I was driving?

Leaving Gorey at 7 am will get you to M50 junctions tallaght, Ballymount, Naas road.. 8 am.to 8:15 am and from any of those it's a good 45 min to 1 hour into Stephen's Green.

Doable but long term tough going...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Drive to carickmines and get the luas.
    Should take an hour to get to carickmines p&r and then a 40 min luas trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

bren2002 wrote: »
    Drive to carickmines and get the luas.
    Should take an hour to get to carickmines p&r and then a 40 min luas trip.

Any idea how long it would take if I didn't hop onto the LUAS and drove all the way in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

The luas from carrickmines or sandyford is your best bet. Driving into town from any junction off the m50 is an absolute nightmare! Ideally you'd want to be leaving gorey at 6.30 every morning if you were driving into the city center.

Unless you absolutely need your car in the city centre I wouldn't advise it. I assume you've considered parking around there and have a solution to that. On street parking in the cc will run more than €20 per day.

You're looking at adding an extra 90 mins to your daily commute by driving the whole way, and that's a regular day. A bad day will get a lot worse. There's 400 spaces in carrickmines and it costs €2 per day and the luas is every 5 mins.

Sandyford is a good option too. Depending on traffic it adds 15 mins to the drive but is only 20 mins to Stephens Green and the trans are less than 5 mins apart.

• Advertisement

I asked a similar question on this thread except the distance looking to cover was Wexford town to Stephen's Green for 9am and some thought leaving Wexford town at 7am would get me there in time for 9am.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99464477

People on this thread seem to think that time is optimistic given how long people think it'll take me to get to Stephen's Green from Gorey.

Have you looked at Google Maps? It lets you see expected journey times at different times of the day. Leaving at 7am on a Tuesday shows a journey time of 1hr 10mins to 2hrs 10 mins to Stephens Green.
    This shows how hard to predict it can be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I asked a similar question on this thread except the distance looking to cover was Wexford town to Stephen's Green for 9am and some thought leaving Wexford town at 7am would get me there in time for 9am.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99464477

People on this thread seem to think that time is optimistic given how long people think it'll take me to get to Stephen's Green from Gorey.

yeah it was me who initially said 7am would get you in there. And to be honest, if you know the roads and know your way around, it would probably be fine. But seeing as you are asking the question, I'd guess you havent driven the route often which is why I later agreed that you should give yourself an extra half hour to be sure. Give yourself time to find a suitable parking spot and potential traffic jams or re routes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nysso

I'm commuting from Gorey to Stillorgan/Sandyford LUAS station. Usually it takes 1 hour. Sometimes more. Leaving Gorey around 6:50 - 7:20, leaving Sandyford about 17:00-17:30.

bruschi wrote: »
    yeah it was me who initially said 7am would get you in there. And to be honest, if you know the roads and know your way around, it would probably be fine. But seeing as you are asking the question, I'd guess you havent driven the route often which is why I later agreed that you should give yourself an extra half hour to be sure. Give yourself time to find a suitable parking spot and potential traffic jams or re routes etc.

Thanks for commenting again.

I have parking but not sure what route to take.

I don't know if sticking with the N11 all the way would be best or would I be better to come off at the Sandyford exit and go through that way.

What route would you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Thanks for commenting again.

I have parking but not sure what route to take.

I don't know if sticking with the N11 all the way would be best or would I be better to come off at the Sandyford exit and go through that way.

What route would you suggest?

Really the only way is the N11 through Donnybrook and on to Leeson St., a straight run through. Leeson St is the only way to access all parts of the Green by car unless you take Beaver Row at Donnybrook Garage and turn right at the top to travel through Ranelagh, Sth Richmond St., Harcourt St, by which time you would be on the Green.You are going to be in heavy traffic from Glen of the Downs with a bottleneck at Donnybrook.
    The other alternative is to turn off at Cornelscourt and go via Deansgrange and Blackrock to Ballsbridge, Baggot St, Pembroke St on to Leeson St but that's really out of the frying pan, into the fire, you will meet bottlenecks at Blackrock, Booterstown, Merrion Gates and still have to negotiate Leeson St. at the end and I don't see the point in that. No matter which route you take from South County Dublin, you are going to meet heavy traffic, schools breaking up will ease it considerably but that's only short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

It'll be different on different days and also worse in the rain. Monday to Wednesday if you did Stephens Green from Gorey in 2 hours from 7am you'd be very lucky (outside of days schools are off). It takes me 1.40 - 2 hours to Donnybrook.

Google maps can be good to avoid accidents / routes that have become over-congested.

Advertisement