Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Sort Of State Protection Is There For Ruins, Castles, Monuments etc.?

Options
  • 06-06-2016 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I've been bitten by the local-history bug lately. Every Sunday morning I'll get off my lazy ass and visit a local historical site: old graveyard, castle ruins etc. Just wondering what sort of care these things are afforded by the State. The last two weeks I've visited half-ruined castles, and they seem to be just let slowly go to ruin, no care whatsoever. One was on private land, the other presumably State-owned (a housing estate surrounds it on three sides and it's pailed off with railings). If they were looked after they would be absolutely beautiful and rival anything in Britain where they seem to take care of their heritage!

So what exactly is the Dept. of Heritage playing at?

Rant over:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The 'protection' is notional.
    They may slap a fine on you if you're caught (or reported) demolishing a ring fort, but other than that if there's a monument on your land you can pretty much leave it to fall down of its own accord. That is, unless the H&S police get wind of it and you may have to barricade it off.

I did see mention of an unusual lodge that was allowed to fall down and the owner was fined, but guess that may have been the exception perhaps someone reported it to the council.

Basically, apart from a few showpiece castles for the tourists, there's not a lot of interest or resources put into built heritage officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

As far as I know, there are two major systems of protection -

(a) National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2004, and

(b) Part IV of the Planning and Development Act 2000.

I think there are lists available for each county of the structures protected under each system.

The resources available to protect and repair these structures appear to have been drastically reduced in recent years. Some structures have scaffolding round them for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The Office of Public Works was traditionally responsible for ancient monuments.

The shocking state of Aldborough House, near Dublin's Five Lamps junction, is an appalling indictment of that body's ability or willingness to protect our built heritage.

If that state owned historic building can be so neglected, what hope is there for heritage buildings in private ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

tabbey wrote: »
    The Office of Public Works was traditionally responsible for ancient monuments.

The shocking state of Aldborough House, near Dublin's Five Lamps junction, is an appalling indictment of that body's ability or willingness to protect our built heritage.

If that state owned historic building can be so neglected, what hope is there for heritage buildings in private ownership.

Aldborough House is privately owned. The developer who bought it went out of business, and it was repossessed by the banks and was sold by them in 2014.

The OPW only look after property owned by the state.

It may be owned by a developer in recent years, but it did not get into that state overnight.
    Secondly, such a magnificent building should never have been handed over to the merchants of greed.
    What will be next? GPO ? or Custom House?

Did this happen through the privatisation of Eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

tabbey wrote: »
    It may be owned by a developer in recent years, but it did not get into that state overnight.

It's been a victim of the recession, there has been so little funding available for commercial development and investment during the last ten years that it would not have been economically feasible to redevelop.
    Secondly, such a magnificent building should never have been handed over to the merchants of greed.
    What will be next? GPO ? or Custom House?

Ah here now, merchants of greed? The private sector spends far more on renovating historic structures than the state can or ever could. It's not perfect and it doesn't always work out but it's better than nothing.

State funding in Ireland for heritage is miniscule and we have a minister who appears to have no interest in that part of her brief. It's better that what funding is available is spread around a lot of small projects rather than a few large projects.
    Did this happen through the privatisation of Eircom?

Yes

I did a quick google and I found a blog post about it here with pictures
    https://theirishaesthete.com/tag/aldborough-house/

P.S. My thanks again to Del Monte for introducing me to The Irish Aesthete blog, it's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@ Arsemageddon

How I wish you hadn't posted that Aldborough House piece.

It's back to the Philistine days of the 1970s again. Perhaps when it's burnt and demolished the new owner can put a plaque up on whatever monstrosity replaces it - Frescati style. :(

lord_edward_fitzgerald_plaque_frescati.jpg?w=750

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

mikefoxo wrote: »
    If they were looked after they would be absolutely beautiful and rival anything in Britain where they seem to take care of their heritage!:mad:

Don't be so sure about that mate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_country_houses_in_20th-century_Britain

I think we all know which country values its heritage more.

Do we? Please expand!

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    Do we? Please expand!

Need I say more than this latest episode.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/fine-art-antiques/beit-paintings-to-be-sold-for-russborough-house-fund-1.2678364

Anyway, I shouldn't be on at all tonight, but I'll come back tomorrow. :)

That is indeed depressing Del Monte :(

60 units per hectare equals 24 units per acre.

Assuming these are multi storey apartments, that should be no problem, providing that they are a good design and well built.

Higher density is desirable in popular areas, it helps people remain in the district they know and love, where their friends and family live.

the original point of this thread was the preservation of historical, and architecturally important buildings, not merely oppose development.

Advertisement