Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomorrow!

• 07-06-2016 8:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47

So the day we've all been waiting for comes tomorrow!
    How're we fixed lads? :P I've got a few questions before I head in:
    -I'm doing higher level in everything, are the scripts and answer books all white or is that just English?
    -Are we allowed take food into the exam?
    -Say I get a blank when I'm in there, what can I do to refocus?

That being said, good luck to everyone tomorrow :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For JC, Higher Level papers are white, ordinary are yellow. The answer books are the same regardless of level.

You may bring in food at the discretion of the Supervisor, but definitely nothing that has a strong odour or makes a lot of noise. Of course, diabetic candidates will have a note about it and allowances will be made.

If you get a blank, move to another question.

Other tips:

Leave your phone at home. You will survive without it. No, really, you will.

When you first look at the paper, jot down some keywords beside the questions to help you later. Mark them as rough work.

DO NOT use red or green biro anywhere on your paper. These are the colours the Examiners and Advising Examiners use.

DO NOT use pencil, apart from drawings and diagrams. It can smudge or fade badly during the movement of papers and become illegible.

If you are using a gel pen, please make sure it does not go through into the page behind as this can get worse when the papers are stored.

Use a black or blue biro for your exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 John_2187

spurious wrote: »
    For JC, Higher Level papers are white, ordinary are yellow. The answer books are the same regardless of level.

You may bring in food at the discretion of the Supervisor, but definitely nothing that has a strong odour or makes a lot of noise. Of course, diabetic candidates will have a note about it and allowances will be made.

Other tips:

When you first look at the paper, jot down some keywords beside the questions to help you later. Mark them as rough work.

DO NOT use red or green biro anywhere on your paper. These are the colours the Examiners and Advising Examiners use.

DO NOT use pencil, apart from drawings and diagrams. It can smudge or fade badly during the movement of papers and become illegible.

If you are using a gel pen, please make sure it does not go through into the page behind as this can get worse when the papers are stored.

Even in the case of business, is the answer book white and, I always use red to underline headings in business too. These are a no-go?

Thanks for the extra tips also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 _lina2000

Other tips:

Can you use a pink pen to number your questions? And for the accounts in business can you do it in pencil in case you make a mistake? Sorry to ask another question but do you get paper for the accounts as well?

_lina2000 wrote: »
    Can you use a pink pen to number your questions? And for the accounts in business can you do it in pencil in case you make a mistake? Sorry to ask another question but do you get paper for the accounts as well?
    Yes you get lined paper of Record books 1,2 and 3. I'm not sure about the pencil, remember it might fade away as the script is rubbing off another one when they put them in a bag.

John_2187 wrote: »
    Yes you get lined paper of Record books 1,2 and 3. I'm not sure about the pencil, remember it might fade away as the script is rubbing off another one when they put them in a bag.

Yeah I suppose, I'll just pray that everything balances first try haha

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose, I'll just pray that everything balances first try haha
    I never get the balance but I'm pretty sure you get majority of the marks for other figures and headings anyway.

Best of luck, we'll all pass together :)

John_2187 wrote: »
    I never get the balance but I'm pretty sure you get majority of the marks for other figures and headings anyway.

Best of luck, we'll all pass together :)

Good luck to you too, we got this😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you not just use blue or black?
    The examiner knows that a number in the left hand column is numbering the question. There is no need to put it in an unusual colour.

Pencil is a problem because of smudging and fading.

BTW keep Tippex well away from a paper. If you make a mistake, put a line through it and write the corrected answer beside it (or further down the page with an arrow).

I have lost count of the amount of times answers have been Tippexed, obviously with the intention of writing the correct answer in when it dried, but just left blank in the end.

Can you not just use blue or black?
    The examiner knows that a number in the left hand column is numbering the question. There is no need to put it in an unusual colour.

Pencil is a problem because of smudging and fading.

BTW keep Tippex well away from a paper. If you make a mistake, put a line through it and write the corrected answer beside it (or further down the page with an arrow).

I have lost count of the amount of times answers have been Tippexed, obviously with the intention of writing the correct answer in when it dried, but just left blank in the end.

So is it okay to use red pen to number my questions&write titles or should I do that in blue and write my answers in black?

So is it okay to use red pen to number my questions&write titles or should I do that in blue and write my answers in black?

Ideally, do not write anything in red on the paper, especially numbers.
    You can write your answers in blue or black, it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

From doing my Junior cert last year, it doesn't matter what colour the title is. I did my titles in blue/black and for the headings in business for the balance sheet I did red.

Ideally, do not write anything in red on the paper, especially numbers.
    You can write your answers in blue or black, it doesn't matter.

Okay thanks:) I think I'll do my headings and all that in blue and my answers in black

LLAMAMILK wrote: »
    From doing my Junior cert last year, it doesn't matter what colour the title is. I did my titles in blue/black and for the headings in business for the balance sheet I did red.

From being a corrector, I can tell you putting numbers in red is a bad idea.

-Don't worry everyone. You'll honestly do great if you've studied hard.

-Attempt every question and don't leave blanks.

-Stay till the end of every exam. The amount of people from my school that left the exam early was so sad because they did the worst.

-Don't worry about tomorrow because I did last year and I only got 3 hours sleep before the exam.

-People will forget all about your amazing results but the great thing is you'll always remember that trembling and exciting feeling waiting to get your results. I remember on our results day we had a sports activity in the morning before we got them. I fell on my bum in front of everyone and when we got the results I screamed the school down with happiness and I cried, but it was a great feeling of achievement getting good grades :D

Make sure to be in a bit early tomorrow, don't just arrive at the exam start time.

Especially if your school is big, it might take few minutes to get you in the right centre. There are also a few housekeeping things that have to be gone through with everyone before the exams. After the first day is over, you just need to check the timetable for the next day or so to see when you are in again.

It's possible your exam centre may change later on, especially if you do a subject that not very many people do. Not arriving at the last minute will make this not be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭smartboyz

what about maths. i always write in pencil for maths in case i do mistakes.is that ok??

You can use a pencil for Maths, for drawing in CSPE and for Sketch maps etc in Geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

A bit late but are you allowed your phone in your pocket turned off? Will they check? Or will I leave it outside the center in my bag.

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    A bit late but are you allowed your phone in your pocket turned off? Will they check? Or will I leave it outside the center in my bag.

Don't bring it in at all, but leave it outside if you do. Or if it's a valuable one, you might stick it in an envelope with your name on it and ask the office to mind it.

Far easier just leave it at home though.

Advertisement