Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Need To Talk About Windows 10 (Upgrades)

Options
  • 07-06-2016 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭

Okay, fourth call in the last couple of weeks from a user saying that their PC has been upgraded to Windows 10, but this time WITHOUT ever clicking on anything to agree to the upgrade. I know there was a program going round a while back, the GWX Control Panel, that gave you full control of the Windows 10 update and prompts. BUT Microsoft have worked this out, and the program no longer works.

So, the only solution I'm thinking at the moment is to disable Windows Updates altogether for the moment, until Microsoft cease and desist from their shameful forcing of their operating system on users.

Note: just in case anybody is wondering WHY Microsoft want everybody to have Windows 10, I was told at a Microsoft event that they want everybody to have Windows 10 so that they can sell you cloud products. So DONT think that they are being generous, it is completely self serving.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've had no problems with GWX because it makes the same changes to the registry that Microsoft recommend themselves https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 .

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Microsoft just wants to give us free candy and hold our hands. Everyone that upgrades saves a unicorn. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. The reason they're upgrading is microsoft changed clicking the little red X from meaning "No" like its always been to "Yes.

windows-10-upgrade-notification_embed_size.png?itok=BDo8zjHn

Train users for a year to click an X regularly, then change its function. Nefarious as f'ck.

2. GWX CP and Never 10(Which I'd recommend) just set the reg keys designed for enterprise users to disable GWX on their fleet, MS CANNOT contravene this or they'll lose all their fortune 500 customers overnight as their CTOs come in to find they have 1000's of non functional units one morning. Its a safe protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

ED E wrote: »
    windows-10-upgrade-notification_embed_size.png?itok=BDo8zjHn
    Train users for a year to click an X regularly, then change its function. Nefarious as f'ck.

Yeah that seems like what it could be. Because most of the users who have upgraded have said "I never clicked anything to install this, I just came in the next morning and it was upgraded".

What is particularly nefarious and just unfair is that when suddenly discover that the machine has been upgraded to Windows 10 and you want to downgrade, you get this scary message before you can start the procedure.

21.jpg

This message should appear BEFORE the upgrade. But instead microsoft use it to try to scare you away from downgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

it could also be that when you try to "shut down" the updates were already downloaded and ready to be installed. so double check the shut down icon. What i normally do is log off first then click the shut down from there without installing the updates (windows 10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I forgot to mention it was added to the recommended channel too, so if you allow those updates along with criticals it auto installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

Turned on my Windows Laptop and it has been sitting for last hour with 'Restoring your previous version of Windows..' showing
    I think it 's something to do with the Windows 10 prompts I have been getting for weeks and I'm certain the last time (earlier today) I got the prompt I again said NO.
    Any ideas as to what has happened ....

Advertisement