Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diplomas

Options
  • 07-06-2016 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,
    I was curious about diplomas in evening courses from some colleges in Dublin (I wont mention in case it's against the rules).
    My friend signed up for one in Web design and I was looking at the course content online -
    first of all I was amazed at the easyness of it and how out of date it seemed.

I mean so easy - like changing a header on a HTML page.
    FTP - uploading/downloading files on a server .. not much more advanced then that

2nd of all , how come it's called a Diploma ? the course is 10 weeks and *one* class per week !!

From my college days a diploma was 2-3 years of full time education and a degree 4 !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The key is the National Qualifications Framework. Any qualification worth its salt will be on this framework - it goes all the way from Junior Cert up to PhDs.

So that should tell you the worth of a 10-week "diploma".

I assume a diploma sounds better than a certificate, so it's more a marketing thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 elastics

So there is no regulation then ?
    They can call it anything ?

Surely it devalues Diplomas that take years to get, also how do I check it has this accredation ?

Surely it devalues Diplomas that take years to get, also how do I check it has this accredation ?

edit- by the looks of it this college has that National qualifications framework ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

You have to check if the college is accredited by a recognised accreditation body.

Anyone can set up a website and sell "diplomas", and even claim that they meet the requirements of the NQF, but if the accreditation is nonsense then the diploma is nonsense.

Sorry for the dups, can't seem to edit - anyway, checked and the course seems to be a level 1 FETAC ... hmm could explain things.

It's a pity, they are charging €700 for something you would be better off doing on EDX for free ..more content and up to date ..

• Advertisement

elastics wrote: »

Yup, pretty much.

Find a diploma on the National Qualifications Framework. ;) There are Higher Diplomas, but, to the best of my knowledge, no longer "regular" diplomas. The "old" diplomas became Ordinary Level Degrees and were at Level 7 on the NQF.
    edit- by the looks of it this college has that National qualifications framework ..

But for what courses? You can be sure a 10-week diploma is not on the NQF.

Sorry for the dups, can't seem to edit - anyway, checked and the course seems to be a level 1 FETAC ... hmm could explain things.

It's a pity, they are charging €700 for something you would be better off doing on EDX for free ..more content and up to date ..

Two points:

- FETAC doesn't exist any more. So that's out of date. Check out www.qqi.ie for full details

- Re: EDX - some people prefer to be in a classroom with a teacher, so online learning isn't for everyone

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Two points:

- FETAC doesn't exist any more. So that's out of date.
    - Re: EDX - some people prefer to be in a classroom with a teacher, so online learning isn't for everyone

That was from a 2012 report on the place and the course was listed as FETAC 1 .. now the same course is still there and curriculum is the same.

anyway, bottom line, it's not like a Diploma from a DIT where it takes 2-3 years to do ..

Advertisement