Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to secure front door

Options
  • 07-06-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm hoping someone here will have a solution for me. We're getting a new front door and we were planning on going for a high deadbolt so it'd be out of reach of our toddler but due to complications about our opening it's not going to be an option for us so we're stuck with a lever style lock with a twist to lock thing on the inside rather than a key. We'd like to find some way of child proofing it that would still leave us with the ability to open the door from the outside and ideally it'd be something that wouldn't damage the new door either and could be removable in years to come. Has anyone had this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi folks,
    I'm hoping someone here will have a solution for me. We're getting a new front door and we were planning on going for a high deadbolt so it'd be out of reach of our toddler but due to complications about our opening it's not going to be an option for us so we're stuck with a lever style lock with a twist to lock thing on the inside rather than a key. We'd like to find some way of child proofing it that would still leave us with the ability to open the door from the outside and ideally it'd be something that wouldn't damage the new door either and could be removable in years to come. Has anyone had this problem?

Silly question but can you not get a key lock on the inside rather than the twist one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

The type of lock you have there is a thumb turn cylinder. You can call any locksmiths and have them come out and change it to a key operated cylinder. It would probably be about 130 euro all in. You can keep the thumb turn in case you want to fit it back later.

It will not affect the door at all. The only issue is that if the key is left on the inside of the door, then no one will be able to open it from the outside - not ideal if one person gone to bed and another coming back late.

As long as you both know exactly where the key is kept once door locked it shouldn't be a fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Thanks guys, it is an option to get it with a key and it may be what we go for in the end. Hubby hates the idea of having it with a key so I was hoping to find some other option (if there is one out there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

What about having a latch on it? We got windows repaired and the man put a latch called a "yob stop"? I want one on our new porch door so our dog (who can open doors) can't escape!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we have a similar problem except we have a key lock on the inside. I do not want to use the key/lock am terrified of being trapped in a fire or being locked out.

We had a locksmith around last week to see if can add an additional lock high up but it is a no go because the door is plastic it will be impossible to secure a new lock, apparently it will just fall off.

So cant wait to see a few ideas. He can reach the handle, so it is only a matter of weeks before he is gone:(

• Advertisement

Just realised the yob stop thing will only work if door opens outwards. Our porch door opens outwards so we could get buggy in. Front door opens inwards though.

Could you lock it but have hook up high with keys beside it? That's what we have for porch key and postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think key lock and keys hidden is the only safe bet.

Nephew just turned 4, shoved up chair to high mantlepiece a few weeks ago, got keys opened front door, then opened car and started it, luckily not in gear.
    Gave his dad a minor heath attack.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hi OP, there are a few options depending on what your door is made of.

First off is is a sash-jammer as pictured below. If the door opens out, your attach to the door, if the door opens in, you attach to the frame. I have these on all downstairs windows and doors, and are a quick extra lock for security. Obvious disadvantage is not being able to enable when out of the house, although I don't think security is your priority.
    sashjammer2.jpg

Next is your traditional night latch, but they won't work on a PVC door. I have had two wooden door frames, which I have had to modify to add them in. The first was close to the wall, so had to break into the plasterboard to attach the receiver, the second I had to add a piece of wood for the receiver to stick out a bit.
    80-500x500.jpg

The last option as mentioned above is to remove your thumb latch euro cylinder lock and replace with a key option on both sides. Even if you do not go down this root, I would recommend you replace the factory thumb latch with an anti snap lock for security purposes. The one pictured below is what I have on all my external doors and they have a thumb latch option. Not many people are aware of how easy standard locks are to break, so I always harp on about it at any opportunity. The one below is about €50, but is a top brand. Fitting takes about 2 minutes, but you would be charged €120 to €140 for someone to come out and do it.
    ABS-lock-diagram251.jpg

If you have a couple of minutes, check the below video.

Delly the first picture of white latch is that yob stop thing the man put on :)
    Our porch is brown I wonder if they come in brown?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Millem wrote: »
    Delly the first picture of white latch is that yob stop thing the man put on :)
    Our porch is brown I wonder if they come in brown?

Yes, you can get brown, I've two on the front wooden door, with two on the rear white doors. There are tonnes of different makes, the best being the type that include spacers to make them fit perfectly.

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    Yes, you can get brown, I've two on the front wooden door, with two on the rear white doors. There are tonnes of different makes, the best being the type that include spacers to make them fit perfectly.

Brill! I will get window man to put them on for me! We need 4 more windows repaired :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

God, brilliant advice. Thanks a million. I've just added two IKEA window locks to upstairs windows, but I'm not that happy with them, just didn't have a clue of the options. Thanks delly

Advertisement