Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to exchange sterling for euro (rate/commission)

• 07-06-2016 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭

Post office?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Currency Fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Cash or Electronic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cash sadly..

Think I'm stuck with a bank

Anpost (you can calculate it online)

N1 Currency (you can lock in the rate online)

Foreign Currency Exchange International on O’Connell Street but you don't know the rate until you are in the branch

But all of them are going to be sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

An Post won't buy sterling unless I bought sterling previously on their forex card

I went to AIB on O Connell Street. The rate was rubbish but I had little other option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

For future reference get someone you know with a student bank account to sell it. AIB and BOI waive their commission for students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

newacc2015 wrote: »
    For future reference get someone you know with a student bank account to sell it. AIB and BOI waive their commission for students

Even with the commission they charge, it is 100% the case that on any given day, you will find that one of the two main banks will beat An Post. Doesn't stop people assuming that 'no commission' always means better and good luck to the post office for good marketing but they are never the best place to buy or sell currency.

coylemj wrote: »
    Even with the commission they charge, it is 100% the case that on any given day, you will find that one of the two main banks will beat An Post. Doesn't stop people assuming that 'no commission' always means better and good luck to the post office for good marketing but they are never the best place to buy or sell currency.

The Post Office has now also stopped buying Dollars or Sterling unless you got that via the Currency Card they offer. They don't even buy back anymore if you got in cash via them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Post Office has now also stopped buying Dollars or Sterling unless you got that via the Currency Card they offer. They don't even buy back anymore if you got in cash via them.

Which makes no business sense considering the wide spread between buy and sell rates. They must have had a few bad experiences with staff buying back notes that turned out to be forgeries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

coylemj wrote: »
    Which makes no business sense considering the wide spread between buy and sell rates. They must have had a few bad experiences with staff buying back notes that turned out to be forgeries.

I imagine it is not profitable to do it. IMO it is ridiculous that every post office used to buy and sell FX. Sure not all banks offer cash services anymore. It would make sense to restrict physical FX to larger post offices

• Advertisement
Advertisement