Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitty Hawks Restaurant?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A work colleague is flying in and staying in the Carlton Dublin Airport Hotel. Is Kitty Hawks a good restaurant to bring them? It's ideally located as it's in their hotel.

However if it's not good, I won't book it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The food in Kitty Hawks is not good and in my own experience the staff are also poor. I'd recommend a short hop up the road to The Coachman's. As well as the carvery and sandwich bar they also have a separate proper restaurant that comes highly recommended... Another option would be Kealy's close by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We go to Kealy's quite a bit, the food is really good as is the service, and we've been to the Coachman's Inn restaurant in the past and liked it. The carvery isn't great in my opinion. There are lots of nice restaurants in Swords too, which is just a bit further up the road - and a TGI Friday's in Airside just before Swords. Also there's Hogs and Heifers in Airside, attached to the Wright Venue. All a short bus or taxi trip up the road from the hotel.
    I never hear of anyone around here going to Kittyhawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As an aside, have I dreamt this or was there a stand alone restaurant called Kitty Hawks on that site before the hotel was built? I have a vague recollection of eating there about 20 years ago but there was no hotel there at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No it wasn't a dream, I remember seeing it. I'm not sure if it's where Little Venice is now though, nearer to Santry?

27zff2c.png

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

That was Brahms and Liszt before little Venice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No it wasn't a dream, I remember seeing it. I'm not sure if it's where Little Venice is now though, nearer to Santry..
    No - it was up nearer the airport on the western side of the main road so I'm assuming it was on the same site as the hotel is now.

As Ginny has said, Brahms and Liszt was also in existence. (For years I didn't make the Cockney rhyming slang connection until a work colleague happened to mention it. I thought it was named after music composers! :o )

I remember Brahms & Liszt now you mention it Ginny. Wishbone, I'm not sure I made that connection either :o

According to this, the hotel is definitely built on the site of the old restaurant:
    https://plus.google.com/+KittyhawksDublinAirport/about

I've often wondered about it :)

As an aside, have I dreamt this or was there a stand alone restaurant called Kitty Hawks on that site before the hotel was built? I have a vague recollection of eating there about 20 years ago but there was no hotel there at the time.

You are correct. We used to go there regularly from work and were looked after very well. Food was excellent too. That operation moved to Sportslink upstairs where it is still successful today. They do breakfast and lunch. Don't think they open in the evenings but i'm open to correction. Ridiculously good value too as the original was and great big portions.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Originally posted by Strumms -- You are correct. We used to go there regularly from work and were looked after very well. Food was excellent too. That operation moved to Sportslink upstairs where it is still successful today. They do breakfast and lunch. Don't think they open in the evenings but i'm open to correction. Ridiculously good value too as the original was and great big portions..
    The breakfast in Sportslink is unbeatable,second only to the Chuck wagon in my book,I have never had lunch there ,but if it as good as the breakfast ,you just cannot go wrong ,in lovely surrounding's as well .. and no cheating - pigging out on a fry up after the workout.

dslamjack wrote: »
    The breakfast in Sportslink is unbeatable,second only to the Chuck wagon in my book,I have never had lunch there ,but if it as good as the breakfast ,you just cannot go wrong ,in lovely surrounding's as well .. and no cheating - pigging out on a fry up after the workout.

Yes I can recommend the lunches big time. They also do takeaways of everything including carvery so if you haven't got a whole hour away from the office the you can just take it back with you and eat at your desk... Im hungry now :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement