Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planner Thicknesser Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It all depends on what you want to do: especially length and weight wise.

You can always use a larger machine for smaller work but not the reverse.

The two listed are, IMO, for small pieces of timber and because of the small foot print and light weight could be quite unstable if you put any decent size piece of timber into them: they would need to be fixed well on a bench.

While all P/T are a bit noisy, these are rated at 8,500 rpm which is well above the more normal 6,000 rpm

The self contained chip collector on the SIP would fill up in no-time if doing any serious work.

The Clark shows power as 125 Watts, I presume that is wrong.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Cheers Calahonda
    Yeah i assume its meant to be a 1250W machine.
    I dont think i'll ever be doing any serious work it will all be small stuff.
    I'm looking at this for a garden bench I want to restore.
    I would imagine that any thing I will be using will be max 8 foot long and 2" think.
    Most of the boards i can get are all 8" so will fit.

So do you think either of these would be fit for purpose or if you think I'm looking at the wrong thing please let me know.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

well if you support the the 8' board as is exits the thicknesser then it should be okay, I am just bit concerned about the lever arm of 8 feet on a light machine.
    Surface planing an 8' plank will be trickier

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its a mistake to buy machines based on the price only. I once bought an Elu planer thicknesser but it turned out to have plastic gear wheels which quickly gave up. For about 500 euro you should find a second hand Scheppach HM260 which will last you a lifetime and process planks 250 mm wide x 140 mm deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Thanks Recipio. Unfortunately size is also a premium factor. I don't have the space for that size of machine

• Advertisement
Advertisement