Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistent moderation in soccer forum

Options
  • 07-06-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭

I received a yellow car for the following post in the soccer forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99928356&postcount=26

The reason given was that "calling someone a 'prick' is not ok". Bear in mind this was not someone on the forum I was calling a prick. My issue is this, when is such a post ok and when is it not? I responded to the moderator giving numerous examples from the last few weeks of people calling players "prick", "nonce", "scumbag bollox", "dirty c*nt", and one calling a player's girlfriend a "gold digging tramp". I will post examples if this is permitted. Not a single one of these posts had any action taken, even though I had reported some of them at the time.

When I raised this with the mod he said that these posts may have been missed by the moderator team when reported. Yet still no action taken when I have linked them. What is the point of the report function if reported posts get "missed"?

I would like my yellow card overturned given the fact I did not insult any user and it seems like there is no rule applied regarding abuse to anyone else and no rule was cited by the mod in question when the warning was given.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the Charter:
    Frisbee wrote: »
    The rules on abuse apply to more than just boards users, and cover players/managers/fans/clubs/sports personalities as well. You may consider certain terms to be a bit of banter, but any nickname or phrase that is even vaguely derogatory may be considered as abuse for the purpose of the charter.

Calling a team Manure, Liverpoo, Chelski, redsh1te, bluesh1te, the Scum, the Hun, SEVCO (for the purpose of winding up Rangers fans) or any other variant is abuse.

Nicknames like whisky nose, fat Spanish waiter, Fat Sam, Fat Frank, Maureen, and similar is abuse.

Calling Andy Gray or Pat Dolan names is abuse.

This list is not intended to be exhaustive, but it is common for users to misinterpret this rule and assume that language like the above is OK. Please think carefully before posting anything like the above.

However, emotional language is not in itself a problem. It is ok to deliver a point passionately, to swear if you so choose, though you can make a point solidly without having to call people / teams / etc names.

The mod team reserve the right to apply their judgement as to a users intent when posting, and issue bans and/or infractions for abuse as neccesary.

Card upheld

I am not going to comment on other posts that were not actioned (almost certainly because they were not reported at the time) that you have only identified as being "offensive" because you have undertaken a search following your own yellow card

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Beasty wrote: »
    From the Charter:

Card upheld

I am not going to comment on other posts that were not actioned (almost certainly because they were not reported at the time) that you have only identified as being "offensive" because you have undertaken a search following your own yellow card
    Well if you read my OP I stated that I did report some of them at the time, namely in the Adam Johnson thread which most of those examples are from. It was even questioned on thread why people weren't being pulled up for abuse. So essentially you're either saying that the report function doesn't work and/or is redundant or that mods can pick and choose what posts to action on a whim even if they're exactly the same?!

The only post I've cited that I've searched for was from the champions league final where a poster said "Pepe is such a prick". How is that any lesser abuse than what I said? And why are these posts not retrospectively actioned now that they have been linked to the moderator if they were, as claimed, missed at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The card issued to you has been upheld for the reasons given by Beasty above. If you wish to discuss inconsistent moderation of others in the forum, please start a thread in the Help Desk.

Marking this as Resolved.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement