Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Schools in Booterstown

Options
  • 07-06-2016 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone know of good National/Primary Schools in the Booterstown, Dublin catchment area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Following! We live in this area, and there is a catholic boys and a catholic girls school within 2-10 min walk from us + 2 private schools but didn't really investigate how good/bad they are.
    For various reasons we preenroled our son with the 3 closest ET school for 2017.
    Somebody who used to teach at the Blackrock Co I primary school said it's lovely - small etc. We wouldn't get a chance to get in but might be worth a try. Depending where you live in Booterstown, it's an easy walk or a bit of drive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks. Exploring all avenues at the moment. We would be near the dart on the opposite side of the road. Have a 2yo girl and 3 yo not. Would be great to send them to the same primary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

There's carysfort national school, aside from St. Andrews it's the closest mixed school. There's Scoil San Treasa in mount merrion but its heavily over subscribed. St.Marys in Donnybrook is another option but you've got to factor traffic.

The feedback I've had on the girls and boys school in Booterstown has been positive, the girls school expanded this year to take in extra junior infants.

Wonder whether the new Irish school will be
    http://www.gaelscoileanna.ie/en/southdub/
    Must be coeducational (?)
    St Andrews looks good but found the fees too high for us.
    The German school is coed, and not too far by car or bike, and heard a lot of good things about it.

There's carysfort national school, aside from St. Andrews it's the closest mixed school. There's Scoil San Treasa in mount merrion but its heavily over subscribed. St.Marys in Donnybrook is another option but you've got to factor traffic.

The feedback I've had on the girls and boys school in Booterstown has been positive, the girls school expanded this year to take in extra junior infants.

Is St. Mary's in Donnybrook not Donnybrook catchment area? I didn't think Booterstown was in that catchment and St Mary's Donnybrook is usually oversubscribed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo I heard the st Mary's Belmont BOM have been doing late night house calls to double check on "residents"!!!!! Lol lol

The other poster is talking about a totally different school! St Mary's booterstown. They have girls school mercy convent, just off booterstown avenue.
    Carysfort is oversubscribed with their own catchment area. They had even brought in an end of jan/start of feb birthday cut off for sept 2016. I know of one sibling (not in catchment) who didn't get a place for next year :( carysfort is a fab school. As is holly park but again had its own catchment in foxrock.

There are loads of private junior schools around.....

Millem wrote: »
    Sligo I heard the st Mary's Belmont BOM have been doing late night house calls to double check on "residents"!!!!! Lol lol

The other poster is talking about a totally different school! St Mary's booterstown. They have girls school mercy convent, just off booterstown avenue.
    Carysfort is oversubscribed with their own catchment area. They had even brought in an end of jan/start of feb birthday cut off for sept 2016. I know of one sibling (not in catchment) who didn't get a place for next year :( carysfort is a fab school. As is holly park but again had its own catchment in foxrock.

There are loads of private junior schools around.....

Lol lol as if they are doing house checks! Hahahaha. That's ridiculous.

Yea I know there is a st Mary's in Booterstown, but the other poster said donnybrook which I'm pretty sure is oversubscribed most years.

Currently looking at a couple of private primary's but a few of my friends says the national primary's are just as Good and would be great to save a few quid!

Sligo1 wrote: »

Yea I know there is a st Mary's in Booterstown, but the other poster said donnybrook which I'm pretty sure is oversubscribed most years.

Currently looking at a couple of private primary's but a few of my friends says the national primary's are just as Good and would be great to save a few quid!

Yep, Marys in Donnybrook take from outside the parish, if they have space! Enrolment is October of the preceeding year

Yes they are doing house checks!!!! Couldnt believe it myself but people are using parents' addresses! They called around 8.30 to a friend of a friend looking for the "registered owner of the house" and had a clip board with a big list of names and addresses.

In fairness though if you buy a house on a certain road to get into a catchment of a certain school it would be very annoying if you didn't get in and people telling lies get a place!

A good friend of mine is using her granny's address (as in children's' great granny) for one school and her friend's address for another school.

we have to produce gas/electricity bill within a timeframe and again for any subsequent children.

I am sure st Mary's and mercy are grand. Don't know anything about them tbh.
    Handy to have both schools close to house.

Yep, Marys in Donnybrook take from outside the parish, if they have space! Enrolment is October of the preceeding year

Thanks. Do you know if they often take from outside or are they usually full?

• Advertisement

Yes they are doing house checks!!!! Couldnt believe it myself but people are using parents' addresses! They called around 8.30 to a friend of a friend looking for the "registered owner of the house" and had a clip board with a big list of names and addresses.

In fairness though if you buy a house on a certain road to get into a catchment of a certain school it would be very annoying if you didn't get in and people telling lies get a place!

A good friend of mine is using her granny's address (as in children's' great granny) for one school and her friend's address for another school.

we have to produce gas/electricity bill within a timeframe and again for any subsequent children.

I am sure st Mary's and mercy are grand. Don't know anything about them tbh.
    Handy to have both schools close to house.

Yes I agree but I'd say while a lot of people buy a house with one of the priorities to get a good catchment area for school the majority of people want to live in that area anyway tho. I doubt the only reason people buy is due to a school they want. That would just be silly if they are not 100% certain they will get in anyway. That's taking a bit of a silly risk tbh. If they are certain to get in tho that's fair enough.

Thanks. Do you know if they often take from outside or are they usually full?

Sadly not in recent years, they are oversubscribed.

Sadly not in recent years, they are oversubscribed.

Yes was thinking that. Thanks :)

Sligo this is why you need to look at each individual schools' admission policy.

Where I teach where you live does not come into it. You could live next door but not get in! We were sale agreed on two houses 1 house not in parish but only meters away (as the crow flies), the other was in parish. If we weren't thinking about kids other house would be better as closer to shops and buses but they have no parish school!

Does anyone know if there is an app or a website where you can find out exactly which roads/streets/areas are in specific catchment areas? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Does anyone know if there is an app or a website where you can find out exactly which roads/streets/areas are in specific catchment areas? Thanks :)
    There isn't. You have to check each school individually. And catchment areas can come down to being on the wrong side of the road.

lazygal wrote: »
    There isn't. You have to check each school individually. And catchment areas can come down to being on the wrong side of the road.

I rang up one school and they couldn't tell me the exact area!? They said it was a particular pariah. But I can't seem to get a list of streets or areas for that parish??

I rang up one school and they couldn't tell me the exact area!? They said it was a particular pariah. But I can't seem to get a list of streets or areas for that parish??

Schools have to publish this (well they do, but my experience of this whole palavar about enrolment policies has not been good thus far) so throw it back at them to tell you exact boundaries, and get it in writing. That area can be tricky for places-we were thinking of moving there but the school situation ruled it out for us. There's a lot of people putting down grandparents' addresses too.

If its parishes that mark the boundaries then the dublin diocese website has a map

Sligo check and see if parish church has website. Sometimes they have it on there.
    Lazygal that's exactly like that here. The houses look the same as ours....same design and bricks but different parish! Lazygal have you any new/upcoming community national schools in your area? My friend is raving about one in her area.

• Advertisement

We were to have a new educate together in my current local area but gaelschoil ended up winning it. I think it will be opening in the next year or so. Was meant to be this sept.

did you talk to St Andrews? when I last spoke to them it sounded as if they had a waiting list already but that it is not necessarily meaning no spaces as people move etc... they were a bit fuzzy about it.

scaryfairy wrote: »
    did you talk to St Andrews? when I last spoke to them it sounded as if they had a waiting list already but that it is not necessarily meaning no spaces as people move etc... they were a bit fuzzy about it.

O no :(. That was one we were gonna check out. Booterstown was never really on our radar so I've never looked at schools in the area. But now I really need to get my act together don't I! Will have to look into it all the next week.

We were to have a new educate together in my current local area but gaelschoil ended up winning it. I think it will be opening in the next year or so. Was meant to be this sept.

Sligo it's a multi demominational Gaelscoil. It's opening in sept 2016. 30 names already signed up. They will have 2 classes. They are using map as catchment. 1st is Irish speakers, then siblings, then catchment area etc.There was an info meeting last Wednesday in stillorgan park hotel. No premises yet but jobs have been advertised.

Sligo it's a multi demominational Gaelscoil. It's opening in sept 2016. 30 names already signed up. They will have 2 classes. They are using map as catchment. 1st is Irish speakers, then siblings, then catchment area etc.There was an info meeting last Wednesday in stillorgan park hotel. No premises yet but jobs have been advertised.

How did you find out the enrolment criteria? I can't find it online?

Sligo check and see if parish church has website. Sometimes they have it on there.
    Lazygal that's exactly like that here. The houses look the same as ours....same design and bricks but different parish! Lazygal have you any new/upcoming community national schools in your area? My friend is raving about one in her area.
    I'd run a mile from any community national school. Goodness me, goodness you is a terrible programme and then there's the segregation for indoctrination. Awful model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

'Just as good'? What are your criteria?

Mine (in terms of officialdom) are:
    1. Qualified teachers
    2 Run under 'direction' of Dept of Educ & Science
    3 Socially mixed
    4 Staff are properly contracted and remunerated
    5 School is open to inspection by Dept

That's why I sent mine to a National School.

How did you find out the enrolment criteria? I can't find it online?

I am in contact with a guy from foras who sends me all the new info on schools.

I would predict it will be very easy to get in to for the first year as its a gamble no premises etc. Catchment looked quite big. Stillorgan, dundrum, goatstown, kilmacud, windy arbour. Maybe balally? Can't remember. The majority of people who signed up are not in catchment.

lazygal wrote: »
    I'd run a mile from any community national school. Goodness me, goodness you is a terrible programme and then there's the segregation for indoctrination. Awful model.

Don't know anything about them except her child was on waiting list for one. She said the school is excellent. She had a place in educate together but was holding out for this community national school. She is quite religious but her religion is very rare. I had never heard of it (her religion) before.

• Advertisement

Don't know anything about them except her child was on waiting list for one. She said the school is excellent. She had a place in educate together but was holding out for this community national school. She is quite religious but her religion is very rare. I had never heard of it (her religion) before.

As someone raising children without religion community national schools are not suitable for our family. I can't get past segregation of children because of religion.

Advertisement