Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Schools in Booterstown

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

'Just as good'? What are your criteria?

Mine (in terms of officialdom) are:
    1. Qualified teachers
    2 Run under 'direction' of Dept of Educ & Science
    3 Socially mixed
    4 Staff are properly contracted and remunerated
    5 School is open to inspection by Dept

That's why I sent mine to a National School.

Grades and subject choice would be pretty high up on my list for secondary anyway.... Primary, would prefer mixed and good facilities a must. Also good range of subjects from maths and science to music and drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lazygal wrote: »
    As someone raising children without religion community national schools are not suitable for our family. I can't get past segregation of children because of religion.

I think the main reason is the principal. He's actually younger than me, but is excellent according to her he is a real educationalist apparently! The one in question seems to have a lower pupil teacher ratio for some reason. I don't know what they will do for religion. She is not a Christian.
    Lazygal what will you do? Hope for an educate together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Grades and subject choice would be pretty high up on my list for secondary anyway.... Primary, would prefer mixed and good facilities a must. Also good range of subjects from maths and science to music and drama.

You missed the point of my post. I was referring to a comment that national schools were 'as good as' private junior schools. I was explaining why I would not choose a private junior school - teachers in private junior schools need not be qualified, schools are not under the 'direction' of the Dept of Ed & Science, the clientele is rarely socially mixed, teachers are not necessarily paid and contracted as they would be in the state system and as school is not under the Dept, there may not be any inspection/overview/oversight system in place etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

O no :(. That was one we were gonna check out. Booterstown was never really on our radar so I've never looked at schools in the area. But now I really need to get my act together don't I! Will have to look into it all the next week.

Yeah best to talk to them. They have a pre enrolment form so at least you can get on the list. I still find it hard to believe that places go so fast for a private school but there you go. Booterstown is just lovely so don't even think of another place!
    If we had any connections to Irish I would definitely consider the new primary school. Lot of work went into it. Friend of mine campaigned for ET and they put up a good fight but obviously lot of interest in gaelic stuff... then your kids could go to the Irish secondary school up the road, that another friend's kids attend and doing very well.

You missed the point of my post. I was referring to a comment that national schools were 'as good as' private junior schools. I was explaining why I would not choose a private junior school - teachers in private junior schools need not be qualified, schools are not under the 'direction' of the Dept of Ed & Science, the clientele is rarely socially mixed, teachers are not necessarily paid and contracted as they would be in the state system and as school is not under the Dept, there may not be any inspection/overview/oversight system in place etc etc etc

Apologies if you have taken my statement a bit personally. there are many many public schools better than a lot of private schools. But in my personal opinion a lot of private schools will gain higher grades than public. I think this can actually be determined aswell. This is just my opinion and I will happily send my kids to a good public school as I know there are many. There are also a lot of schools I will not send my children too for which I won't lost reasons here. I did not mean to cause offence and this thread is not meant to cause any sort of debate about which type of school is better. But I'm pretty sure if you lived in many specific areas of Dublin (which I won't name) and weren't in the catchment for decent public schools... I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be sending your kids to them.... Hence why it may be easier to get a good private school as the majority of the time catchment area is not their first enrolment criteria.

• Advertisement

scaryfairy wrote: »
    Yeah best to talk to them. They have a pre enrolment form so at least you can get on the list. I still find it hard to believe that places go so fast for a private school but there you go. Booterstown is just lovely so don't even think of another place!
    If we had any connections to Irish I would definitely consider the new primary school. Lot of work went into it. Friend of mine campaigned for ET and they put up a good fight but obviously lot of interest in gaelic stuff... then your kids could go to the Irish secondary school up the road, that another friend's kids attend and doing very well.

Yes we sent out our expression of interest ages ago so prob would've been quite high up on the list for the school of it was ET. But I didn't know anything about the Irish School. Just heard a few weeks ago ET wasn't going ahead. My husbands Irish is ok and his mum is able to speak fluent Irish. But I wouldn't have a word of it as was born in New Zealand so was exempt from it at school here.

Yes we sent out our expression of interest ages ago so prob would've been quite high up on the list for the school of it was ET. But I didn't know anything about the Irish School. Just heard a few weeks ago ET wasn't going ahead. My husbands Irish is ok and his mum is able to speak fluent Irish. But I wouldn't have a word of it as was born in New Zealand so was exempt from it at school here.

well good luck. We might be crazy but very seriously thinking of the German school (also oversubscribed apparently) even though we have close to 0 German. Location would be super handy for us. The French school would be great, too, as we both speak some French but there the kids must be French speakers themselves.
    My friends' son got into the Balinteer ET, which is really Dundrum, although that might be a bit of stretch every morning from Booterstown...

well good luck. We might be crazy but very seriously thinking of the German school (also oversubscribed apparently) even though we have close to 0 German. Location would be super handy for us. The French school would be great, too, as we both speak some French but there the kids must be French speakers themselves.
    My friends' son got into the Balinteer ET, which is really Dundrum, although that might be a bit of stretch every morning from Booterstown...

The German school is meant to be great! My dad was from Austria and had fluent German. I did German and French in school but wouldn't have an awful lot. Can't believe German school is oversubscribed! It's currently a 5 minute walk from our house. Lots of people where we live now send their children there.

Things really have changed a lot in these schools. It was very easy to get a place in them a year or 2 ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Millem wrote: »
    I think the main reason is the principal. He's actually younger than me, but is excellent according to her he is a real educationalist apparently! The one in question seems to have a lower pupil teacher ratio for some reason. I don't know what they will do for religion. She is not a Christian.
    Lazygal what will you do? Hope for an educate together?

Yes educate together is probably the best of a bad lot. I'm not keen on these spiritual programmes that schools push on children, I'd prefer proper secular schools. These community national schools are just religious schools with a bit of spiritual woo thrown into the mix. The whole background and ethos of CNSs just doesn't sit well with me.

Scary fairy kids don't need to be French speakers if they start at age 3. The judge it by Jan-Dec. My guy a January child so would go at 3 and nearly 8 months. This was our first choice when I was pregnant and hadn't bought house so put our guy's name down. So handy for me for work location and hours. Kids would be fluent by age 7. His friend is sept baby so had her info night last year as she would start at 2! My friend ruled it out as the majority of kids are French. She didn't feel confident with her level of French and felt she just wouldn't have a clue what's going in with her daughter's education. There are onLY around 4/28 kids in year who are non French speakers. Kids don't learn to read until something like 2nd class which turned her off. They were doing ECCE but won't be next year. I suspect it's something to do with qualifications. Kids are coming from all over which she felt she would be a taxi for play dates.

The man from foras didn't say they would check if you are bringing your child up as an Irish speaker. I reckon though they will do an interview like scoil lorcain child and parent separately. I can't see it how it could be feeder for colaiste Eoin or iosogain as they are so full. But it could be feeder for new Gaelcolaiste in rathfarnham.

• Advertisement

Scary fairy kids don't need to be French speakers if they start at age 3. The judge it by Jan-Dec. My guy a January child so would go at 3 and nearly 8 months. This was our first choice when I was pregnant and hadn't bought house so put our guy's name down. So handy for me for work location and hours. Kids would be fluent by age 7. His friend is sept baby so had her info night last year as she would start at 2! My friend ruled it out as the majority of kids are French. She didn't feel confident with her level of French and felt she just wouldn't have a clue what's going in with her daughter's education. There are onLY around 4/28 kids in year who are non French speakers. Kids don't learn to read until something like 2nd class which turned her off. They were doing ECCE but won't be next year. I suspect it's something to do with qualifications. Kids are coming from all over which she felt she would be a taxi for play dates.

The man from foras didn't say they would check if you are bringing your child up as an Irish speaker. I reckon though they will do an interview like scoil lorcain child and parent separately. I can't see it how it could be feeder for colaiste Eoin or iosogain as they are so full. But it could be feeder for new Gaelcolaiste in rathfarnham.
    Wow that's crazy, even if you go to an Irish primary school, you couldn't get into the local gaelic secondary? Rathfarnam seems really far. At least from us
    Re French school - I think we ruled it out as the maternelle & primaire I thought were in Foxrock which wouldn't suit us at all but maybe I missed something!

The German school is meant to be great! My dad was from Austria and had fluent German. I did German and French in school but wouldn't have an awful lot. Can't believe German school is oversubscribed! It's currently a 5 minute walk from our house. Lots of people where we live now send their children there.

Things really have changed a lot in these schools. It was very easy to get a place in them a year or 2 ago!

That's brilliant, thanks, good to know - so far only heard good things about it.
    I thought maybe I got it wrong but I have just reread the Principal's response to my query regarding 2017 enrolment and she did write " We do have a waiting list and it would be advisable for you to get him on the list as soon as is possible." When I first spoke to them 3 years ago it didn't sound like an issue at all, but I suppose the economy is picking up. Or sth.

Yes scaryfairy The French primary school is in foxrock, holly park. The secondary is on euro campus with killians.

The Irish secondary school in rathfarmhan is in old loreto boarding school building in rathfarmhan. Building is meant to be lovely. Numbers were very small last year, don't know about September. Kids are using iPads not books. Foras are campaigning for a new gaelscoil for dun laoighàire catchment. I don't see how Colaiste eoin and iosogan will be able to include stillorgan and dun laoghaire high up enough to actually get a place. unless they they can double the size of the school! The children could get in under other categories eg has a sibling etc. stillorgan one will have 60 kids so I presume dun laoighàire will be the same. Scoil lorcain has 60. There are a few others on their enrollment policy after offering places to English schools. At the minute they do take a small number of local English speaking primary schools, I think they do it as a lottery for those kids. I am sure they have their enrollment policy online.
    Scoil lorcain is first school they offer places to. (After siblings, teachers' children etc).

I don't know where the building will be for stillorgan gaelscoil it could end up in sandyford or balally! There was a campaign for educate together in Terenure, I think they have found a building..........in greenhills! I don't think that's even the same postcode!

Will the Irish School not be in Goatstown? That's where the ET school was meant to be...

Similarly, Gaelcholáiste an Phiarsaigh was to be in Dundrum but I heard the VEC refused to give up their premises and so it is now in - as you rightly say - the beautiful old Loreto building in Rathfarnham.

Will the Irish School not be in Goatstown? That's where the ET school was meant to be...

There is no building yet. It is for stillorgan/goatstown/windy arbour/kilmacud/Dundrum/sandyford. On map they have those new postcodes so hard to figure out. Think balally is it in. After they saw the majority of people interested where from outside the catchment they put Irish speakers and siblings on the enrolment policy before catchment area. Catchment will only be used if school is full. Foras were looking for suggestions for enrollment policy from perspective parents before the policy was written. Parents emailed suggestions.
    The reality is school opening in September they need a premises. permanent site needs to be big enough for 160 students plus a naoinra plus staff.I have no idea where it will be, but judging on talk of ET Terenure in Greenhills God only knows! There must not be any suitable sites in Terenure.

'ET School wasn't 'meant ' to be anywhere - Dept asked patron bodies to submit expressions of interest and both ET and Gaelscoileanna submitted expressions of interest. Then Dept chose.

There is no building yet. It is for stillorgan/goatstown/windy arbour/kilmacud/Dundrum/sandyford. On map they have those new postcodes so hard to figure out. Think balally is it in. After they saw the majority of people interested where from outside the catchment they put Irish speakers and siblings on the enrolment policy before catchment area. Catchment will only be used if school is full. Foras were looking for suggestions for enrollment policy from perspective parents before the policy was written. Parents emailed suggestions.
    The reality is school opening in September they need a premises. permanent site needs to be big enough for 160 students plus a naoinra plus staff.I have no idea where it will be, but judging on talk of ET Terenure in Greenhills God only knows! There must not be any suitable sites in Terenure.
    Was talking to a mum from my son's creche and she seemed to think it was going to be next to The Goat.

Was talking to a mum from my son's creche and she seemed to think it was going to be next to The Goat.

Yes that's exactly what I heard aswell!!!

No idea. Principal was hired, was vice p in maynooth. There is a meeting with her coming up so I am sure all shall be revealed........
    Never noticed a site big enough beside goat?

• Advertisement

Where the circus used to be? I doubt it - only access would be thru pub carpark. Maybe the old IGB Social site - part of that was bought about a yr ago but no-one seems to know who bought it.

Advertisement