Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan zone for euro?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there will be any outdoor screens for the euro matches??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Living Room

• Registered Users Posts: 30,270 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Last I read DCC had no plans to run anything like this, and are coming in for criticism accordingly...
    http://www.herald.ie/news/fan-zone-in-city-for-irelands-euros-games-is-a-nobrainer-34759659.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

It didn't go particularly well last time in the IFSC. I doubt they have much appetite for a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Pim Pictus wrote: »
    It didn't go particularly well last time in the IFSC. I doubt they have much appetite for a repeat.

In what way? Nobody turned up or pissed idiots trashing the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Vic_08 wrote: »
    In what way? Nobody turned up or pissed idiots trashing the place?

The latter. Plus lads jumping into George's dock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Four years ago, the first game was an utter disaster. Stewarding & organization was woeful and the skanger brigade ruined it for everyone. The event got a lot of criticism, so they changed the rules and the second and third games were a lot better. They made it over a 18's only and they confiscated booze on the way in, but the damage had already been done. I'd say if something was going to be on, we'd have heard about it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

We can't have nice things.

Just remembered that there was an event - like the one for the Euros in 2012 - on at Georges Dock for the rugger World Cup. I watched the Ireland v France game there and it was fine. There were more tourists than locals at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There is a fan zone organised for the euros, think it's a place near St Stephens green called Andrews lane/hangar

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The latter. Plus lads jumping into George's dock.

Ha yeah that rings a bell alright, at the time I was working in one of the buildings that overlook the dock. The first Ireland game against Croatia was on a Sunday and I remember arriving into work on the Monday and it looked like there had been a riot the day before. I think they might have closed it for last 2 Ireland games or at least stepped security up massively.

EDIT: Found the thread from back then and this delightful video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    There is a fan zone organised for the euros, think it's a place near St Stephens green called Andrews lane/hangar

see an event for this on facebook. May try check it out as a scouting mission for monday over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just remembered that there was an event - like the one for the Euros in 2012 - on at Georges Dock for the rugger World Cup. I watched the Ireland v France game there and it was fine. There were more tourists than locals at it.

It doesn't attract skangers like soccer does.

Yep. That was fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm surprised 3 haven't done anything in the 3 Arena like it did for the rugby matches?

For those who want to watch it with a crowd but without booze, Odean cinemas are showing it:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:D4AuIuEWcKQJ:www.odeoncinemas.ie/films/uefa_euro_2016_on_rte2_odeon_roi_v_sweden/100951/+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Would have been lovely if a few fanzones were setup, but unfortunately cost and security probably moved people off the idea. I've seen it work fantastically in other countries and always wished we could do it here... but like many things, our higher ratio of a scumbag element always seems to win out :(

I remember watching Ireland games for the 2002 world cup in Vicar Street. One thing missing from Dublin is a nice open square.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I remember watching Ireland games for the 2002 world cup in Vicar Street. One thing missing from Dublin is a nice open square.

Loads of room in phoenix park if the will was there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Loads of room in phoenix park if the will was there.

Too much room. Impossible to police the section the event is in, never mind the over flow area, which is the entire Park itself. Remember the carnage of the Swedish House Mafia gig, a couple of summers ago?

Too much room. Impossible to police the section the event is in, never mind the over flow area, which is the entire Park itself. Remember the carnage of the Swedish House Mafia gig, a couple of summers ago?

I'm sure they could make it work with a bit of planning and enthusiasm. Bad things always happen in the past but if we all thought like that then nothing will ever happen.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hey, I'm all for a bit of joined up, creative thinking to get things done. I just don't think the PP is a good spot to have an event like this in. There is just too much wide open space to be policed effectively, to keep the troublemaking skanger brigade out. It's a terrible shame, but sometimes you have to accept the reality of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Smithfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Like meeting house square ? Stephens green, Merrion square, fitzwilliam square , iveagh gardens?

That's a different type event and the numbers would be very different.

Sure bloom was on last weekend without carnage

ted1 wrote: »
    Like meeting house square ? Stephens green, Merrion square, fitzwilliam square , iveagh gardens?

Meeting house square is tiny, the others aren't open squares, they're gardens.

Meeting house square is tiny, the others aren't open squares, they're gardens.
    Merrion square is definitely square.

Bloom (like the rugby,) does not draw the skanger brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Scobes don't really do gardening though. :pac:

cson wrote: »
    Scobes don't really do gardening though. :pac:

You'd be surprised..

Some have even converted their attics

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Does anyone know what this is like? they don't seem have have any photos of the event on their facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was in it as the old Andrew's Lane Theatre. No idea what it's like in terms of the revamp to become Hanger but from memory it's probably about twice the size of Whelan's music venue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Went down yesterday. Was completely empty so just ended up walking in and out the back door.

Watched the england match on the Telly they have outside in dame lane which was good.

one thing that was annoying was people walking up the lane constantly having to get out of the way and deliveroo bikes trying to get through the crowd.

Prob wouldn't risk going there for the Ireland match as it would be too wedged.

Advertisement