Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5:2 or Leangains IF ?

• 07-06-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

So I've been following 5:2 for about 3 months now, and have been very pleased with the results. Myfitnesspal has been a godsend, and you get used to weighing your food - and it's satisfying to know you're not lying to yourself.

The 5:2 is particularly straightforward. 600 cals on two non-consecutive days, and 2500/2600 on others (but I typically manage on around 2000-2200, bar the weekends when I hit it)

I find the fast days pretty ok to be honest, with the aid of 'slim rice' or 'slim pasta' - which is basically konjac flour processed into something semi-edible. I don't have a ton of energy on those days, but I get through it.

I've got about 4 kg of fat to go, and that should see me with nice definition, and then I'll start a very clean and controlled bulk.

I think this last bit will be the hardest to shift, and started to wonder if Leangains style IF would serve me better?

So I tried it over the last week, working with approx 1800-1900 calories daily, in an 8 hour feeding window - fasted training 4 days a week. I did enjoy having a decent feed everyday, for sure. But all things considered, it sort of feels like I'm just spreading the 'pain' over the 7 days, rather than condensing it into the 2.

Are there any significant benefits to taking the leangains road, over the 5:2 one? My total weekly calorie intake is going to be between 12400-13300 per week, regardless of which one is chosen, so the deficits are almost identical.

But does the daily fasting aspect of leangains accelerate the results, or is it just all about the deficit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't follow either, but If I was going to I'd go with leangains over 5:2. The thoughts of 600 cals a day is horrible, and having zero energy isn't going to help in the gym.

If I was going leangains, I'd also maybe have two higher calorie days, (at maintenance say), on a weekend day(s) and/or my heaviest training day. Just to break up the pain, s you put it and help recovery.

Advertisement