Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a dodgy landlord

Options
  • 07-06-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I've moved to a new apartment, almost 11 months now, being leased directly by the landlord.

Anyway, as soon as we moved in, things started going wrong (basic amenities / appliances broken, etc.). Anyway, she fixed those things, but it took extremely long (almost 3 weeks), although those issues were definitely urgent (according to PTRB).

Anyway, that's the last we ever heard from the landlord. Several weeks later, we again started having issues in the apartment (no hot water in the bathroom, washing machine not working properly, etc.)

I've tried reaching out (SMS, phone call, email...) but she's literally NOT responding. Almost a month later (and more than dozen futile attempts to reach out), I got some kind of ridiculous message saying that's she's very busy and will address the issues as soon as she has some time. That was almost 2 months ago. I realised she obviously doesn't have any intent to address these repairs.

Anyway, I was curious to know if previous tenants had issues like these before, so I decided to contact one of them (knowing her name since I'm getting loads of mail).

It turns out previous tenant had problems with the landlord as well. Basically, landlord withheld the deposit based on bunch of ridiculous claims - essentially claiming that the tenant had never complained about bunch of things in the house which needed a repair.

So now, i'm pretty sure she might attempt a similar stunt with me one day - deliberately ignoring any pleas to repair and maintain the property, until I decide to leave one day and then she'll just charge me for everything that's broken.

So I've reached out now to PTRB and Threshold.ie. They told me to write an official letter (to request repairs and maintenance) and make sure it gets delivered to the landlord (suggested a registered post). However, knowing her, she might avoid taking the letter or claiming that she never got it in the first place.

Long story short, I'm just looking to protect my deposit once I leave one day. Did any of you have a similar case and did you ring it yo PRTB? Is sending an official letter(s) enough for a strong case one day is I will end up filing a dispute with PTRB?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I would send a letter and send registered post and normal post and go and tape the letter to her front door. I'd also text her to say the letter has been posted re repairs. On the letter you can note these by cc'ing them all in at the bottom. I.e. cc landlady name - reg post
    Cc landlady - standard post.
    Cc- landlady - text notification of corredpondance.
    Cc- prtb.

Specify a timeline of everything that has gone wrong to date. What has been actioned and how long it took. Everything outstanding and the time you notified, reminded and are still waiting for. This needs to be an emotionless letter of facts with no embellishment or attacks against the landlady.

Best of luck.

Advertisement