Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what to do (gaming)

Options
  • 07-06-2016 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Currently running:
    ASRock Z77E6
    i5 3570k
    GTX 970

I find that while gaming, my cpu gets maxed out a lot. I'm torn as to what to do.

My current thoughts are:
    a) buy an i7 4790k
    or
    b) go balls deep and upgrade the mobo to an x99, get a 2011v3 cpu and obviously new ram.

Any suggestions? Money is not too big an issue (lets not go to extremes here though)

Is it pointless to grab a 4790k at this point? Would I just be better off upgrading the lot?

Any thoughts please? Would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

is your cpu currently overclocked? are you comfortable overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Turn down some settings until you get smooth 60fps+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are you playing? There's no way that under normal circumstances a 3570K is bottlenecking a 970, unless it's a highly unusual CPU gruelling or unoptimised game.

The 4790k is a different socket than the 3570k, you would need a board upgrade and at that point, you might as well go to skylake and ddr4.

But I doubt that the 3570 is really a bottleneck, especially not if overclocked as designed (and even without an OC it should still be pretty rock solid for 60fps+ on most games dependent on the card you have)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Lewl, I had a brain fart earlier. Yea scrap that about 4790k. For some reason I had it in my head that the 3570k was 1150.

Games I play are the likes of BF4, ((1 when it comes out more than likely) pretty cpu intensive for 4 at least)
    FO4 (not that bad)
    GTAV (fairly intensive).

I'm looking at a bigger picture here too. Future games etc..

According to CPUZ I was running at 3.7 even though I had set 4.2 via the basic ASROCK bios OC settings. I've set it again now and cpuz shows me running at 4.2 now. I'm on the stock cooler so don't really wanna go higher. I've been meaning to buy myself a hydro cooler so I might be able to up it more and properly.

Another thing to mention is I may pick up a 1080 when they get asus or some other release their version. Would the CPU bottleneck there I wonder?

I still don't understand where you're seeing a bottleneck though?

BF4 runs like butter on a 3570k as does GTA V, Fallout 4 actually is more CPU intensive than both but isn't very well optimised either, would still run perfectly good though on that CPU. Fo4 even gets stutter and drops on a 6700K.

In terms of would a GTX1080 be bottlenecked, not really, unless you had a 120hz monitor. At 1440p60 it would be fine.

Your GTX970 is a bigger bottleneck than the CPU. If you're gaming at 1440p especially the GTX970 is definitely the bottleneck in the setup. At 1080p everything should be running at ultra 60fps just fine.

• Advertisement

Are you sure your CPU isn't thermal throttling? Could be a badly seated, or overworked cooler.

I still don't understand where you're seeing a bottleneck though?

Overall I'm looking at future gaming as well here. The games for the most part run "fine". But who wants to settle for fine? ;)
    Should have mentioned that I do record some at the same time.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Are you sure your CPU isn't thermal throttling? Could be a badly seated, or overworked cooler.

Could be I guess. I'll grab some paste and give it a cleanup / reseat over the weekend just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Noxin wrote: »
    Overall I'm looking at future gaming as well here. The games for the most part run "fine". But who wants to settle for fine? ;)
    Should have mentioned that I do record some at the same time.

Well seeing as your CPU probably isn't what's holding the PC back, there's no point upgrading, you'd be throwing money at a new CPU with no benefit. You futurproofed already by getting an overclockable i5

ok cool.
    I'll give it a cleanup grab a proper cooler for it and OC it a bit more.

Cheers for the input folks :)

You still haven't actually said what is actually happening with the PC though? :confused:

Are you getting low framerates? What resolution are you playing at?

You said 'my cpu gets maxxed out a lot' but you didn't really say how you came to that point. Are you monitoring CPU usage in games or what?

The only thing I would upgrade in that machine is the GTX970. That is the only real bottleneck. You could sell it now while GTX970's sell for OK money 2nd hand, maybe 250ish, and get a new GTX1070 for about €420 which is way faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

3570k + gtx 970 combo is probably good enough for 1080p gaming for the next 5 years or so. No need to upgrade unless increasing resolution and/or refresh rates.

You still haven't actually said what is actually happening with the PC though? :confused:

Are you getting low framerates? What resolution are you playing at?

You said 'my cpu gets maxxed out a lot' but you didn't really say how you came to that point. Are you monitoring CPU usage in games or what?

The only thing I would upgrade in that machine is the GTX970. That is the only real bottleneck. You could sell it now while GTX970's sell for OK money 2nd hand, maybe 250ish, and get a new GTX1070 for about €420 which is way faster.
    I don't know how you'd sell a GTX970 for higher than RX480 asking price unless you dupe someone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I don't know how you'd sell a GTX970 for higher than RX480 asking price unless you dupe someone :pac:

We don't know the 480 price and its not available yet. That will likely change when it becomes available

No need to dupe anyone. There are still people happily paying €250 for GTX780's and 290's, 280 for 970's, and 980Ti's for 480.

If they're happy to pay, let them off. It's not going to change dramatically with the release of the 480 either, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tun_80

BF4 is the only game i play really and i get a consistent 80-90 fps 1080p with a 4690k and a 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tun_80

And thats with everything maxed out and no overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

lol, didnt realise this was the second page. nevermind, nothings to see here.

Advertisement