Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Tesco Mobile part of 3 Ireland?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hello, I think I remember Tesco Mobile being part of O2 Ireland, and that you could put an O2 SIM into a phone locked to Tesco Mobile and it would work fine. So, seeing as Three Ireland took over O2 does that mean that a three sim should work OK in a Tesco Mobile phone? - and is Tesco Mobile part of three or are they 2 totally different providers that have nothing to do with each other?

Im totally confused! :confused:

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're an MVNO but using the old infrastructure. Three have a 2 part network of sorts:

272-2 Old o2
    -Lyca
    -Tesco
    272-5 Modern Hutchison 3
    -iD
    -Virgin

Three SIM might work in a Virgin or iD phone, it wont work in the others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    They're an MVNO but using the old infrastructure. Three have a 2 part network of sorts:

272-2 Old o2
    -Lyca
    -Tesco
    272-5 Modern Hutchison 3
    -iD
    -Virgin

Three SIM might work in a Virgin or iD phone, it wont work in the others though.

oh right I see , thanks for the reply - i just assumed. When I go searching manually for networks with my Tesco Mobile phone Three shows up as if I could select three's mast (the others like meteor and vodafone say 'network registration failed' in a few seconds) and there is much better signal for 3 (4G) where I am inside my house instead of Tesco Mobile, but when I select 3 (4G) for a couple of minutes it looks like its trying to connect but then comes back with the network registration failed message.

just found this page yesterday and it says Three have been assigned to improve coverage, and data speeds nationwide for Tesco Mobile

http://www.tescomobile.ie/our-network/

13567042_10209304557784804_7529017462514347802_n.jpg?oh=4cf09b0ebd1acf3782a52dcf6c07ad84&oe=57FB03C9

They're doing nothing "for" tesco. Tesco will just benefit in better coverage and lower speeds as the network is consolidated, as will everyone else.

They're doing nothing "for" tesco. Tesco will just benefit in better coverage and lower speeds as the network is consolidated, as will everyone else.

I dont know what that all means -

all i want to know is who is it best to get in touch with about seeing if I can get a better 3G signal in my area. Im getting full bars 2G but abysmal 3G and H+ with just 1bar (unusable) - I know I am with Tesco mobile but maybe if 3 is in charge of improving coverage and data speeds it might be worth asking them instead why I have bad 3G and could they improve it.

• Advertisement

Move network.

As above, Three operate two networks, the old one(yours) is being left to rot until such time as they get to move you onto the new network and shut down the old one. This process has no end date and nobody can tell you when it will finish.

Virgin, iD(Crap) or Three themselves will get you onto the better network now, or wait for an unknown time and be moved over while still on Tesco.

Move network.

As above, Three operate two networks, the old one(yours) is being left to rot until such time as they get to move you onto the new network and shut down the old one. This process has no end date and nobody can tell you when it will finish.

Virgin, iD(Crap) or Three themselves will get you onto the better network now, or wait for an unknown time and be moved over while still on Tesco.

ah it looks like ive sh!t out then :( - ive just recently signed my life away to Tesco 24 month deal. such a shame because I was on meteor PAYG before and got 4 bars of H+ in my house where I can only get 1 bar or no signal 3G and just 2G with Tesco Mobile

- my fault, I should have done proper research on signal in my area before signing up to Tesco Mobile bill pay.

Thanks for your replies and help anyway ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

ah it looks like ive sh!t out then :( - ive just recently signed my life away to Tesco 24 month deal. such a shame because I was on meteor PAYG before and got 4 bars of H+ in my house where I can only get 1 bar or no signal 3G and just 2G with Tesco Mobile

- my fault, I should have done proper research on signal in my area before signing up to Tesco Mobile bill pay.

How recent?

If you've done that deal on the phone or on-line, in the last 14 days, then you can cancel it without penalty (only paying usage charges since the contract has commenced).

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    How recent?

If you've done that deal on the phone or on-line, in the last 14 days, then you can cancel it without penalty (only paying usage charges since the contract has commenced).

No its been over 14 days. bought it on the 3rd June in Tesco supermarket shop.

I suppose I am just going to have to contact tesco mobile and ask if there is any way they can look into boosting the tesco mobile 3G signal in our area, i dont hold out much hope. I wish that when they have poor signals they would let you connect to a different mast with a better signal. Meteor used to do this once, if you got a poor Meteor signal you could go into 'mobile providers' in the phones settings and select 'Vodafone' and it would hook up to vodafone's masts - quite handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yea, you should've done more research instead of starting a raft of rubbish threads on Boards:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Yea, you should've done more research instead of starting a raft of rubbish threads on Boards:D:D:D

yep well last time I checked we were living in 2016 and i would have automatically thought all areas even up in the burrens these days would at least get a 3G signal by now!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hey lads.
    I am on Tesco €15 per month.
    I would like to get something similar where I would get free calls ( not a very heavy user )
    Free texts, ( about 20 or 30 a month at most
    and decent 4g package.

What would ye suggest?

come to think about it, do actually Tesco Mobile actually do 4G - I havent heard much about it if they do , I mean I know they sell 4G phones its just I havent heard much of any 4G plans they do

Not until the merge is done.

Not until the merge is done.

What 'merge' is this? and when is it happening do you know?

here is the manual search I have done for signal in my area - as you can see Meteor and Vodafone both offer 3G . Tesco only offer 2G/EDGE . I dont really want to change providers, I am very happy with the plan I am on with Tesco Mobile. - But if I were to kick up a fuss with either Tesco (or if I didnt get any satisfaction and decided to get in touch with Comreg) would it be a case that tesco mobile have no obligation to provide 3G to customers and that by offering full bars of 2G/2.5G signal that they are fulfilling their requirements? - if so I will have to put up with slow/unusable EDGE and wont bother pursuing it any further and just wait/hope they bring a good signal of 3G/H+in the area.

13692460_10209439037386710_8850660251283379928_n.jpg?oh=967f27416bb47e09815707c97690d647&oe=58241CA1

COMREG Cant force an ISP to make their network faster, just fix breaks. If you can make calls and send texts then they wont help you.

You're paying little and getting little. Thems the breaks.

Advertisement