Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Spray Painting

• 07-06-2016 4:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads can anyone recommend a place to get some painting done? It's for a project bike I'm building - will need the tank and rear cowl painted. Nothing fancy just a solid colour, but I want a really good finish. Does anyone know what i can expect to pay for this?

I also want the wheels painted - and possibly the front forks. I was considering trying to do this myself. Can this be done easily enough or is that a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads can anyone recommend a place to get some painting done? It's for a project bike I'm building - will need the tank and rear cowl painted. Nothing fancy just a solid colour, but I want a really good finish. Does anyone know what i can expect to pay for this?

I also want the wheels painted - and possibly the front forks. I was considering trying to do this myself. Can this be done easily enough or is that a bad idea?

If you dont try you'll never know...painting is all about prep..alloy forks will need an etch primer first unless the clearcoat on them is perfect..doubtful..same with the wheels...you just need to really clean the parts before putting any finish on them...what colour you doin ..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Z, I've done it, one of my mechanic sons have done it, and you are more than likely have to send it to a pro, after making a bóllix of it. So, you'll have spent time and money on something that will have to be fixed by a pro, don't do it man :)

You could do the whole thing yourself, painting isn't hard on a bike. As the op said its all in the prep, make sure your primer is perfect sand with 2000 grit, spray your colour, sand with 3000 grit and then polish the clearcoat.

You are better powdercoating the wheels if you are going to change the colour, as op said etch primer on the forks and then same process as above.

Goose, the pros do it indoors, with a heat shield, I think zascar may be trying it with a bottle of spray, Wouldn't recommend it man, thats all I'm sayin

Goose, the pros do it indoors, with a heat shield, I think zascar may be trying it with a bottle of spray, Wouldn't recommend it man, thats all I'm sayin

I have resprayed bikes with a spray can with great results before (metallic silver the last one). The parts are small so you can just do it in the garage.

This is a project bike not a brand new bike, worth doing for the experience if anything. Just read up on it first

• Advertisement

Built 3 bikes now..all rattlecans....only one I got lacquered by the local body shop....if you don't feel confident give it a miss...but deffo do the wheels and forks yourself...they're easy..satin black is very forgiving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Go for it, plenty of good vids on youtube to get you going, might take a couple of goes but great satisfaction to be had.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Built 3 bikes now..all rattlecans....only one I got lacquered by the local body shop....if you don't feel confident give it a miss...but deffo do the wheels and forks yourself...they're easy..satin black is very forgiving

It would only be the wheels and forks I would try - I want a really nice finish on the tank and seat so that has to be a proper professional job. However yes as you say I might try a satin black on the wheels I'd say that's worth a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Sorry to hijack Zascar's thread, but I'm also wondering what's a ball-park figure to get a petrol tank repainted (properly)?
    It's for a 1989 Honda CB-1, so it's not terribly complicated, but I've no idea what it would cost me to bring it to a pro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

I got a set of fairings for my SV done by a guy in Crumlin - his company is called Eir-Art but couldnt find much about him online. Very nice guy... can PM you his number if you want?

• Advertisement

COH wrote: »
    I got a set of fairings for my SV done by a guy in Crumlin - his company is called Eir-Art but couldnt find much about him online. Very nice guy... can PM you his number if you want?
    I'm based in Limerick, so hoping to get it done a little further wesht, but yeah, please, pm me his number, ta...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm wondering myself about prices. I need the tank and rear seat cowl done. I also assume it depends on the price of the paint. I'm not sure what finish I want - metallic, satin etc etc - how do I choose?

I'm wondering myself about prices. I need the tank and rear seat cowl done. I also assume it depends on the price of the paint. I'm not sure what finish I want - metallic, satin etc etc - how do I choose?

You just need to decide on the look you're going for..I personally don't like a cafe or old style bike with metallic...but that's just me...Google "cafe racer" images and maybe get a few ideas..

I'll be sticking with the Henry Ford option; the thing is currently painted as per the attached... :(

peckerhead wrote: »
    I'll be sticking with the Henry Ford option; the thing is currently painted as per the attached... :(

Are they flames....or an excited someone putting out a fire with milk (or some other white liquid :p)....:eek:

nice flame job btw..

peckerhead wrote: »

Just try it yourself,what is the worst that can happen? you end up send it to a pro who willl charge you the exact same amount. It really isnt hard. Il walk you through it you can pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You could get something really cool done like this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/harley-davidson-883/12555781

:pac:

I thought you were being serious there for a second...

Cienciano wrote: »
    You could get something really cool done like this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/harley-davidson-883/12555781

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Stephane @ SD Designs.

His work is pure class,hes done paint work for me and he does alot of the roadrace bikes too.

• Advertisement

Nice one thanks. So does anyone have an idea what it would cost to get a fuel tank and rear seat sprayed?

I've asked around a few paint shops in Limerick and everyone's quoting me in or around €200 just to get the tank done in plain black (laquer to be applied later, after I fit the decals, so two sessions, in fairness).

In theory, you'd imagine it wouldn't cost a whole lot more to get the cowl done at the same time — just the bit of extra paint. Assuming it's all the one colour you want, nothing fancy?

Yeah exactly, all the one colour and I would not need the two sessions as there are no decals. I believe it can be largely down to the quality and cost of the paint - I've no idea what finish etc I'm going to go for yet and not sure how I'll choose

Talking to a nice lad on a boxer caff yesterday...he paid 500 for a silver tank and seat hump with pinstripe....yikes..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Do it yourself , there are very good videos on YouTube and good instructions on da web, go slow and if it takes you over a week you'll still save money compared to what people charge, get your gear in vinny Byrnes and you will have a skill for life (I did it ,pics of my triumph triple on last pages of "what I did to my bike today"or whatever that strand is called.

mufflets2 wrote: »
    Do it yourself , there are very good videos on YouTube and good instructions on da web, go slow and if it takes you over a week you'll still save money compared to what people charge, get your gear in vinny Byrnes and you will have a skill for life (I did it ,pics of my triumph triple on last pages of "what I did to my bike today"or whatever that strand is called.

Me hole he will :eek:

Advertisement