Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19th Dublin International Grand Prix of Race Walking, 18/06/2016

Options
  • 07-06-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

This is supposedly taking place in St. Anne's Park on Saturday 18 June, and includes the National 20k Walks Championships, but I'm struggling to find any details online. Does anybody here have any more information about races featured, timetable, etc? I'd like to go and spectate.

And on the topic of race walking, anybody aware of any events in the Dublin area open to non-affiliated beginners keen to have a go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

MrSkinny wrote: »
    This is supposedly taking place in St. Anne's Park on Saturday 18 June, and includes the National 20k Walks Championships, but I'm struggling to find any details online. Does anybody here have any more information about races featured, timetable, etc? I'd like to go and spectate.

And on the topic of race walking, anybody aware of any events in the Dublin area open to non-affiliated beginners keen to have a go?

Can't find any info on this I'm afraid. Best bet is to call Athletics Ireland. The competitions department should know.

I'm not aware of any race walking events for beginners. The only time I ever see it domestically is at Nationals or at the League and the numbers competing is quite low. The event is technical in nature so your first port of call should be contacting a club and a coach, rather than just heading off and trying it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Can't find any info on this I'm afraid. Best bet is to call Athletics Ireland. The competitions department should know.
    I got in touch with them and unfortunately the event has been cancelled.
    I'm not aware of any race walking events for beginners. The only time I ever see it domestically is at Nationals or at the League and the numbers competing is quite low. The event is technical in nature so your first port of call should be contacting a club and a coach, rather than just heading off and trying it yourself.
    I am aware race walking is a fairly niche (and technical!) event but I did take part in a few races many moons ago (back in secondary school) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Not sure I have the motivation to get back into it in a structured way but entering the odd casual event just for the craic would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

MrSkinny wrote: »
    I got in touch with them and unfortunately the event has been cancelled.

I am aware race walking is a fairly niche (and technical!) event but I did take part in a few races many moons ago (back in secondary school) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Not sure I have the motivation to get back into it in a structured way but entering the odd casual event just for the craic would be fun.

In that case, nothing to stop you entering a 5km or 10km fun run and race walking it. Would probably beat a good chunk of those running anyway.

Advertisement